Confessed serial killer Todd Kohlhepp arrested

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2016, 3:26 am

This dude is creepy as all heck:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-37887546

He kidnapped a woman who helped him clean his house as well as her boyfriend, made her watch him murder her boyfriend, and then chained her up like a dog and kept her in a container on his property.

This dude appears to have committed at least 7 murders around his town over a long period of time, apparently starting with 4 people in the Superbike murders in 2003, which had long been unsolved. Apparently, he was convicted at age 15 for raping a 14-year old neighbor while holding a knife to her, saying he'd kill her siblings if she called the cops. Since then, he has had to register as a sex offender.

He apparently owned a successful real estate business, though some clients said he screwed them over and threatened them, and was noted by others who knew him to be a braggart and doomsday survivalist. I've seen some of his writings on Facebook and LinkedIn, and he always seems to write in a manner that is either bragging, breezy, or both, and he will make lots of jokes about things like the kidnappings and murders that had been going on around town (and which appear to have been committed by him) and he will sometimes get suddenly sexually explicit in a bizarre manner on Facebook.

This guy was clearly morally deficient, and a predator.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2016, 2:43 am

Now to convict him, and either send him to the death house, or depending if his state doesn't have the death penalty, life in prison.

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2016, 12:28 pm

The serial killer's mother tries to rationalize his latest murder and chaining up the victim's girlfriend like a poorly treated dog:

Quote:
"He didn't know what to do," Tague told "48 Hours" correspondent David Begnaud. "She saw him kill her boyfriend and he didn't know what to do with her. Couldn't turn her loose. She'd go get the police."

Kohlhepp, a real estate agent, killed Brown's boyfriend Charles David Carver "because he got nasty and was smart mouthed," Tague told the news magazine.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime/s ... -1.2869080

She cries out her son isn't a monster.

Wow.

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2016, 4:48 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Now to convict him, and either send him to the death house, or depending if his state doesn't have the death penalty, life in prison.

South Carolina has the Death Penalty. FWIW, as it stands right now, he's chosen to represent himself in court.

Generally I don't care for the death penalty, but this guy as well as Dylan Roof seem to be worthy candidates for it.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2016, 1:26 am

Fogman wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

South Carolina has the Death Penalty. FWIW, as it stands right now, he's chosen to represent himself in court.

Generally I don't care for the death penalty, but this guy as well as Dylan Roof seem to be worthy candidates for it.

Okay, he's fried. :skull:

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2016, 1:45 am

I used to read true crime books (Ann Rule) and wouldn't want to leave the house for weeks. Scared myself s**tless! :mrgreen:

You never know who anyone is anymore. You know we had that BTK killer and Bob Berdella here. No one knew what they were doing. Berdella only got caught because the guy he had chained up upstairs got loose and escaped out the bedroom window running naked down the street screaming. Berdella used to have a shop down on Westport where they said he had skulls right out in plain view. They never said if those were human skulls. Wouldn't doubt it because he had a bunch of guys buried in the back yard. Me and Ma went to see his house (cars going by like crazy). They finally tore it down - who would want it after all of those murders? How could those neighbors not know? The houses were really close together. He used to drain them in the basement hanging upside down. You know, it wouldn't be easy to bury someone - its not like he was gardening, especially if it's done at night.

And no one knew that the BTK guy was doing anything either. He was married and was a boy scout leader on the side and a job. Must have had a lot of spare time on his hands is all I can say.

The psychology aspect of it all just fascinates me. And why is it mostly men who are serial killers?

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 83 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 153 of 200 You are very likely neurotypical
Darn, I flunked.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2016, 1:49 am

nurseangela wrote:
I used to read true crime books (Ann Rule) and wouldn't want to leave the house for weeks. Scared myself s**tless! :mrgreen:

You never know who anyone is anymore. You know we had that BTK killer and Bob Berdella here. No one knew what they were doing. Berdella only got caught because the guy he had chained up upstairs got loose and escaped out the bedroom window running naked down the street screaming. Berdella used to have a shop down on Westport where they said he had skulls right out in plain view. They never said if those were human skulls. Wouldn't doubt it because he had a bunch of guys buried in the back yard. Me and Ma went to see his house (cars going by like crazy). They finally tore it down - who would want it after all of those murders? How could those neighbors not know? The houses were really close together. He used to drain them in the basement hanging upside down. You know, it wouldn't be easy to bury someone - its not like he was gardening, especially if it's done at night.

And no one knew that the BTK guy was doing anything either. He was married and was a boy scout leader on the side and a job. Must have had a lot of spare time on his hands is all I can say.

The psychology aspect of it all just fascinates me. And why is it mostly men who are serial killers?

In fact, Ann Rule had been friends with Ted Bundy when they had both volunteered their time on a phone bank. She had no idea what a horrific monster he really was at the time.

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2016, 2:07 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
nurseangela wrote:

In fact, Ann Rule had been friends with Ted Bundy when they had both volunteered their time on a phone bank. She had no idea what a horrific monster he really was at the time.

I know! Can you believe that? They used to work together by themselves - I think some telemarketing thing or something at night. Thank God she had red hair! Bundy would have loved me. He was a hair man, you know. Had to be a certain color and length.

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 153 of 200 You are very likely neurotypical
Darn, I flunked.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2016, 2:59 am

nurseangela wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
nurseangela wrote:

I know! Can you believe that? They used to work together by themselves - I think some telemarketing thing or something at night. Thank God she had red hair! Bundy would have loved me. He was a hair man, you know. Had to be a certain color and length.

If I remember correctly, I think they both worked for some kind of battered women's hotline, amazingly enough for Bundy. It also had been that contact with evil that had inspired Rule to write true crime.

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2016, 3:05 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
nurseangela wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
nurseangela wrote:

If I remember correctly, I think they both worked for some kind of battered women's hotline, amazingly enough for Bundy. It also had been that contact with evil that had inspired Rule to write true crime.

I think she's dead now. Do you know any other good true crime authors?

Darn, I flunked.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2016, 3:33 am

nurseangela wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
nurseangela wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
nurseangela wrote:

I think she's dead now. Do you know any other good true crime authors?

While James Ellroy is best known for writing crime fiction, such as L.A. Confidential, and The Black Dahlia (both of which have been made into very good movies), he has written some short true crime essays, such as can be found in anthologies such as Destination Morgue, Crime Wave, and the book My Dark Places - that last being half biography about his own murdered mother, and half autobiography about how in his early life he had spun out of control into drug addiction and criminality because of his mother's murder during his childhood, and how he had tried to solve the cold case as an adult. Ellroy is one of my very favorite authors, as he isn't afraid to release his own pain and demons into his writing through his characters. I also believe he is almost certainly an Aspie.

kazanscube
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2016, 4:43 pm

nurseangela wrote:

Actually, there have some serial killers that have been women though there is not enough research to say exactly what is the ratio of such. 2nd, most of female serial killers rarely get much press attention unless they have murdered a great number of victims like aileen wuornos. There have been other female serial killers as the following list of persons attests to the fact- Myra Hindley -Known as "The Moors Murderer" and "The Most Evil Woman in Britain", Myra Hindley and her lover, Ian Brady, plotted and carried out the rape and deaths of five young children 1963-65 in England. The pair were turned in to the police by Hindley's brother-in-law who had witnessed Brady killing a boy with an axe. Hindley died in prison in 2002 at age 60.

Jane Toppan-Jane Toppan, a nurse with a private practice, racked up dozens of victims between 1885 and her capture near the turn of the century. While in police custody in 1901, she admitted to being aroused by the process of killing and was eventually found to be insane and not guilty of her crimes.

Nannie Doss-Nannie Doss was a black widow who went through five husbands before being caught and charged with a slew of murders including those of her five husbands, a mother-in-law, her sisters, two of their children, and her own mother. She was never put to death (because she was a woman) and died in prison at age 59 in 1965.

Amy Archer-Gilligan-In order to gain access to life insurance money, the nursing home proprietor murdered at least five people by poisoning them. This included her second husband, Michael Gilligan. As for the others, they were lived in her nursing home. She may have killed more people, but that is still unconfirmed. For her crimes,Archer-Gilligan was sentenced to death, but ended up in a mental asylum instead.

Rosemary West-Rosemary Pauline "Rose" West is a British serial killer, now an inmate at HMP Low Newton, Brasside, Durham, after being convicted of 10 murders in 1995. Her husband Fred, who committed suicide in prison while awaiting trial, is believed to have collaborated with her in the torture and murder .

Mary Ann Cotton-Mary Ann Cotton was an English woman convicted of murdering her children. She was believed to have murdered up to 21 people, mainly by arsenic poisoning.

Kristen Gilbert-Known as the Angel of Death, Gilbert was responsible for three first-degree murders, a second-degree murder and two additional attempted murders when she was a nurse. She killed patients by injecting them with epinephrine. Gilbert is serving a life sentence.

Miyuki Ishikawa-Miyuki Ishikawa was a Japanese midwife and serial killer who is believed to have murdered many infants with the aid of several accomplices throughout the 1940s. It is estimated that her victims numbered between 85 to 169, however the general estimate is 103.

Juana Barraza -Juana Barraza, a Mexican wrestler known from her crimes as "La Mataviejitas" (The Old Lady Killer), strangled and killed as many as 49 elderly women in Mexico City during the 1990s until her capture in 2003. She was found guilty of 16 murders and sentenced to 759 years in jail.

Leonarda Cianciulli-Leonarda Cianciulli was an Italian serial killer. Better known as the "Soap-Maker of Correggio", she murdered three women in Correggio between 1939 and 1940, and turned their bodies into soap and teacakes.

Belle Gunness -Born in Norway in 1859, Belle Gunness emigrated to the US where her husband and several children died under mysterious circumstances. Along with several wealthy suitors who went missing, authorities also found numerous corpses in Gunness's yard after a fire engulfed her home leaving behind the charred bodies of her children and a headless corpse which was not thought to be that of Gunness, who was officially declared missing in 1908.

Janie Lou Gibbs-Janie Lou Gibbs was an American serial killer from Cordele, Georgia, who killed her three sons, a grandson, and her husband, by poisoning them with rat poison in 1966 and 1967. 

Vera Renczi-Vera Renczi was a Romanian or Hungarian woman known as a serial killer who allegedly poisoned 35 individuals—including her husbands, lovers, and one son—with arsenic during the 1920s. In 1972, the Guinness Book of World Records found no authoritative sources to support the claim that 35 people.

I hope this helps to dispel the notion that only serial killers are men.