Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

LeaPoufyPony
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

14 Nov 2016, 10:18 pm

2 weeks ago,one of my co-workers that I’m cool with ,approched me and asked when I’m free.I said I was not sure and ask why she was asking.She proceeded to tell me that she needs help with something she is starting but she doesn’t want to discuss it inside work place then she handed me her phone to put my number in.I asked what it is but she says it won’t be ecxiting if she tells me now.
Then she contacts me after a week later and ask when I’m free.We set a day and place to meet.She wanted to come to my house but i suggested we meet at cofee shop close to my house.I asked her what she is selling,she denied selling anything.I was usure weather I should meet her so I contacted another co-worker that I’m friendly with if this co-worker in question had tried selling anything to her.She informed me that she indeed tried selling her life insurance .She asked me not to tell the other co-worker that I found out from her.I promised I wouldn’t let her know.So I canclled our meeting and said something had come up.She said no problem..just let me know when you are free.
In any event,I didn't get back to her as I promised..hoping she will get the hint and leave it alone.However,I ran into her yesterday at work after more than week.I hardly run into her since I work part time and we don't work same floors
The first thing she said was "oh you dump me huh".I asked her what she meant then she proceeded to tell me that she texted me again asking when I'm free but I didn't respond.I was unware that she subsequently texted me because I lost my phone last week at school so I promptly called my provider to deactivate it just incase someone tries using it.Apparentley the teacher found it and kept it for me.I will get it back this week.
I explained this to her and asked her once again why she wants to meet and if it a sales pitch. She said she can't discuss over here at work because she will get into trouble. Then I asked her to tell me over the phone, she says no, If I'm going to meet you outside work, then we will discuss it in person not over the phone and at least I can show you. I told her that I need to know before we meet but she still insist to meet. She is being pushy now. Should I just ignore it from now ?Will she finally get the hint if I don't follow up with her again? I don't want to create an awkward environment at work

Tripodologia
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Nov 2016, 5:48 am

Have you tried telling her straight out that you won't meet up with her unless she explicitly tells you what the purpose of meeting up is? You're not obliged to arrange any meeting unless you know the purpose in advance, so that you can make an informed decision on whether you want to join or not. Leaving it up to hints may not be the most optimal path to follow here. If she doesn't want to at least fulfil this minimum requirement, then refuse to meet her up outside work. Good luck.

-

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 139 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 67 of 200
You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)

somanyspoons
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2016, 7:30 pm

When I was in grad school, there was one of those pyramid scheme things going around. A number of my classmates got into it. It was SO uncomfortable. Any invitation from them was a potential to be a marketing opp for them. It was so obvious that they had been drawn into a scam. Its just so weird to be in a social interaction like that.

I would be honest with her. I'd say "Look, I think you are great and I would love to hang out, but I hear you are selling insurance and I really don't want to hear a sales pitch."

I don't know if this would repair the relationship. Maybe just giving it time would be better?

I know a lot of people who specifically do buy their friends MLM stuff just because they don't want to hurt the person.