Still no talk of trade policies from Republicans.

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2016, 11:21 am

Before Trump got elected, he made a fuss about how America's trade policies has pretty much been a disaster which many in the Midwest agreed and supported him.
Now that he's in, trade policies, and the facts we had regulations and taxes before NAFTA and still kept factories, are being ignored while the focus is on the mantras that Republicans have been collectively chanting for the last eight years. It's not the policies that are the problem, it's the regulations and taxes. So the answer seems to be it was empty talk. Everyone knows what it was like before NAFTA, including Trump, but those Senators and Representatives will not change things no matter what. They refuse to repeal the crappie agreements that have unnecessarily taken so many jobs away, even when Trump, a businessman, knows this is why. He said it before he was elected.
If jobs don't return, forget partisanship and keep voting them out until they do. Hold them accountable.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

15 Nov 2016, 11:42 am

Trump plans on renegotiating NAFTA or withdrawing, Trudeau and Pena Nieto have both said that they are willing to renegotiate. Trump also has said TPP and TTIP are DOA. Obama is still pushing his trade deals right now fwiw.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2016, 11:55 am

Jacoby wrote:
Trump plans on renegotiating NAFTA or withdrawing, Trudeau and Pena Nieto have both said that they are willing to renegotiate. Trump also has said TPP and TTIP are DOA. Obama is still pushing his trade deals right now fwiw.

I just listened to House Speaker Ryan. He said absolutely nothing about it.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2016, 12:07 pm

Paul Ryan won't be involved, congress has given the president fast track trade negotiating power(TPA) which allows the president to personally negotiate trade deals and passage with a simple majority. They gave this power to Obama and it applies to Trump too. The establishment have sowed the seeds of their own destruction with how they expanded executive authority, Trump will have broad powers to implement his policies.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2016, 12:24 pm

hot off the presses

"Trump transition memo: Trade reform begins Day 1"
http://www.cnn.com/2016/11/15/politics/ ... index.html

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2016, 12:59 pm

Jacoby wrote:
Paul Ryan won't be involved, congress has given the president fast track trade negotiating power(TPA) which allows the president to personally negotiate trade deals and passage with a simple majority. . .
Fast track is horse crap, because Congress can't do their job and make legitimately useful amendments. I mean, you can't talk about the details and actually do something.

I am in favor of simple majority and not in favor of requiring supermajority. Look at the recent history of the filibuster in the U.S. Senate. Hardwiring in a requirement just let's a minority be intransigent. It does not need to more and better discussion.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2016, 1:04 pm

AardvarkGoodSwimmer wrote:
Jacoby wrote:
Paul Ryan won't be involved, congress has given the president fast track trade negotiating power(TPA) which allows the president to personally negotiate trade deals and passage with a simple majority. . .
Fast track is horse crap, because Congress can't do their job and make legitimately useful amendments. I mean, you can't talk about the details and actually do something.

I am in favor of simple majority and not in favor of requiring supermajority. Look at the recent history of the filibuster in the U.S. Senate. Hardwiring in a requirement just let's a minority be intransigent. It does not need to more and better discussion.

I didn't support giving fast track to Obama but Trump would be remiss to not take advantage of it, he has this authority until 2018 and can be extended past 2020.