Could IQ and EQ be mutually exclusive?

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2016, 10:10 am

This article seems to suggest so: 6 Surprising Downsides Of Being Extremely Intelligent.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2016, 12:49 pm

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2016, 4:42 pm

Yes, all the people with higher IQs. on this forum's EQs. Are low mine is 13. :lol: Aspie utah the only other one to post both information. Is 145 and 7

TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2016, 4:47 pm

No, I think very few things are really mutually exclusive. Maybe you mean that there's a negative correlation between them? If that's what you mean, I don't know. I would tend to think both really high and low IQs are associated with low EQs. But I really don't know.

And Pieplup, people with autism are probably likely to have lower EQs, since we have trouble understanding emotions. So data from this forum probably couldn't prove anything.

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2016, 5:46 pm

TheAP wrote:
No, I think very few things are really mutually exclusive. Maybe you mean that there's a negative correlation between them? If that's what you mean, I don't know. I would tend to think both really high and low IQs are associated with low EQs. But I really don't know.

And Pieplup, people with autism are probably likely to have lower EQs, since we have trouble understanding emotions. So data from this forum probably couldn't prove anything.

Well, the different measurements of Intelligences, kind of fluctuate. For example if there is 4: 200 total point tests. You might only be able to get a total of 400 so, That's why having a High iq isn't not advantagous. Yes, but If I pull other data from another forum. Which presumably has something to do with Psychopathology (Study of Mental Disorders). Then, It would be irrelevant. Since this is a Autism forum. My Point is since autistic people tend to have lower eqs they can have Higher IQs. So, It's not really just autism. Though a majority of Autistic people don't have average IQs. tests with a larger amount of catagories would express this more. Which is why Cognitive intelligence Quotients are so often called inaccurate.

ConceptuallyCurious
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Nov 2016, 6:01 pm

Autistics as a group are more likely to have a disparity of higher IQ to EQ, so yeah - it's a terrible place to look for norms across neurotypes.

I've seen arguments along those lines before and usually they're made by people with low EQs and often autistics. As though we need to find something that NTs have. As it happens, I believe most people have relatively equal EQs and IQs, hence why our EQ-IQ disparity is an indicator of our difficulties.

ADHD diagnosed in July 2016

Also "probable" dyspraxia/DCD and dyslexia.

Plus a smattering of mental health problems that have now been mostly resolved.