Page 7 of 9 [ 129 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2016, 12:01 am

While I haven't read Briebart, so I'm not qualified to comment on it much, the fact that it's source material has been described as in the form of blogs and memes, it doesn't seem like something that's a legitimate news source.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2016, 9:05 pm

EzraS wrote:
it doesn't seem like something that's a legitimate news source.

And yet the head of Briebart is going to be a senior advisor/strategist to the president of the US...that should be of concern even to conservatives

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2016, 10:39 pm

cyberdad wrote:
EzraS wrote:
it doesn't seem like something that's a legitimate news source.

And yet the head of Briebart is going to be a senior advisor/strategist to the president of the US...that should be of concern even to conservatives

I think his ability to do the job well or not is all that really matters. People are in their right minds to be concerned if any member of a new administration is going to perform satisfactorily. But to categorically decide people have already failed before they have even started is unreasonable. Needless to say that also goes for touting a president elect as already the worst president in history and already calling for him to be impeached.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2016, 11:25 pm

EzraS wrote:
I think his ability to do the job well or not is all that really matters.

Republican party strategist John Weaver who worked for John Kasich’s presidential campaign, tweeted: “The racist, fascist extreme right is represented footsteps from the Oval Office. Be very vigilant, America.” Even republicans on the right are shocked that a person with no senior political experience has been appointed to such an important role. The general consensus is from republicans is that a person with Bannon's background should not be influencing national public policy given his clear extreme right wing anti-social bias

EzraS wrote:
But to categorically decide people have already failed before they have even started is unreasonable.

Mr Bannon was charged in 1996 with misdemeanor witness intimidation, and domestic violence with traumatic injury and battery. The charges were dropped (conveniently) after he threatened to kill his wife, Mary Louise Piccard, who was sufficiently intimidated enough not show up at trial. Steve Bannon should technically be in jail instead of holding the second most powerful position in steering the United States future

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2016, 11:38 pm

cyberdad wrote:
EzraS wrote:

Republican party strategist John Weaver who worked for John Kasich’s presidential campaign, tweeted: “The racist, fascist extreme right is represented footsteps from the Oval Office. Be very vigilant, America.” Even republicans on the right are shocked that a person with no senior political experience has been appointed to such an important role. The general consensus is from republicans is that a person with Bannon's background should not be influencing national public policy given his clear extreme right wing anti-social bias

EzraS wrote:
But to categorically decide people have already failed before they have even started is unreasonable.

Mr Bannon was charged in 1996 with misdemeanor witness intimidation, and domestic violence with traumatic injury and battery. The charges were dropped (conveniently) after he threatened to kill his wife, Mary Louise Piccard, who was sufficiently intimidated enough not show up at trial. Steve Bannon should technically be in jail instead of holding the second most powerful position in steering the United States future

Bannon might as well be the modern Julius Streicher, and Breitbart the new Der Sturmer.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2016, 12:12 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
EzraS wrote:

EzraS wrote:

Bannon might as well be the modern Julius Streicher, and Breitbart the new Der Sturmer.

There are some interesting similarities. Both Bannon and Streicher had military backgrounds before moving into publishing

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2016, 12:12 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
EzraS wrote:

EzraS wrote:

There are some interesting similarities. Both Bannon and Streicher had military backgrounds before moving into publishing

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2016, 12:23 am

EzraS wrote:
I'd like to read the articles that go with those headlines, rather than take them at face value. And why does it seem okay to make fun of Caitlyn Jenner or the disabled and other stuff liberals usually protest, when it's done by liberal sources like South Park?

I mean what would be the reaction of this depiction of Caitlyn Jenner originated from Briebart?:

South Park isn't liberal. The reason why South Park gets away with it is because Matt and Trey aren't the mayor of any town. Matt and Trey aren't politicians.

Yes, some people do get offended at South Park but Matt and Trey can't be forced to resign because they're not in public office. This gives them a lot more freedom and autonomy.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2016, 6:19 am

cyberdad wrote:
EzraS wrote:

EzraS wrote:

Everyone in politics has someone saying how unfit they are. Hillary had plenty and I'm sure so did anyone she would have appointed. Likewise people have tabloid style dirt dug up against them. Hilary has a mountain of it too. But I often I find out key information (the rest of the story) is left out. None of these types of things actually disqualify the person from getting the job they were given it they wouldn't have it. It really only amounts to prognostication when it comes to what sort of job someone is going to do in a particular future field. So for me, I'd rather see how it turns out. It's not like I have any choice in the matter.

Another way I look at it is how much stuff had been said against Clinton in this forum by certain members. Now I'm sure the Clinton supporters here would expect me to disregard all that as misinformation, propaganda, exaggeration, distortion etc.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2016, 6:34 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
EzraS wrote:

EzraS wrote:

Oh gee lemme guess, Streicher was a Nazi. Right?

Here's a challenge for you: find someone prominent in post WWII politics who hasn't been called a Nazi, compared to a Nazi or connected in some way to Nazis.

Googling: "Hillary is a Nazi": 2174743 hits.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2016, 7:16 am

EzraS wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
EzraS wrote:

EzraS wrote:

Oh gee lemme guess, Streicher was a Nazi. Right?

Here's a challenge for you: find someone prominent in post WWII politics who hasn't been called a Nazi, compared to a Nazi or connected in some way to Nazis.

Googling: "Hillary is a Nazi": 2174743 hits.

I'm making that comparison because, as editor of Breitbart, Bannon had made that site a soapbox from which the Alt Right could trumpet their bigotry, while Streicher had been the editor of the Nazi party periodical, Der Sturmer, from which Streicher trumpeted all the Nazis' hate. Streicher ended up being found guilty of war crimes at Nuremberg due to his drum beating for race hatred and war, and was hanged accordingly. Is Bannon fated to have a noose around his neck, after helping to realize the darkest fantasies of the Alt Right? Well, we still have to wait for the proverbial fat lady to sing on that one.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2016, 8:34 am

I'm sure each of the bazillion people who have done the Nazi connection with a zillion people in politics, had what they considered to a very valid argument. I wonder how many Nazi comparisons/ connections have been made on the internet in the last 20 years? Perhaps a billion? Now I'm not trying to be rude to you, I just honestly think it's been over done to death for it to carry any kind of impact. Everybody is was a Nazi, like a Nazi, like Hitler. Everybody. There are virtually no exceptions to the rule.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2016, 8:47 am

Comparing people to Nazis is, inevitably, fraught with problems.

In the vast majority of cases, comparing people to Nazis comes across as hyperbole.

The history of the Nazis should be taken VERY seriously. Just watch the films of the death camps sometime.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2016, 9:03 am

One of the things I dislike the most about this wholesale comparing of everyone and everything to Hitler and Nazi Germany, is it glosses over and waters down the significance of the horrors of the Holocaust.

The other thing is it's done to such excess, it just automatically by default comes off as tinfoil hat talk.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2016, 1:53 pm

EzraS wrote:
I'm sure each of the bazillion people who have done the Nazi connection with a zillion people in politics, had what they considered to a very valid argument. I wonder how many Nazi comparisons/ connections have been made on the internet in the last 20 years? Perhaps a billion? Now I'm not trying to be rude to you, I just honestly think it's been over done to death for it to carry any kind of impact. Everybody is was a Nazi, like a Nazi, like Hitler. Everybody. There are virtually no exceptions to the rule.

Yes, the comparison to Nazis has been overdone, I agree. But the similarities between Bannon and Streicher were just too much to avoid! :twisted:

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2016, 2:13 pm

I enjoy being compared to or called a Nazi.
:D