Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

iCANTthinkOFaNAME
Raven
Raven

26 Nov 2016, 4:06 pm

If someone says "pull your socks up" although i kind of know the meaning behind it, but I still *see* someone pulling their socks up. Or, if someone says "a chip on your shoulder" I'd *see* a chip (food) on someones shoulder. Although I know some basic metaphor language some doesn't make sense at all. Do you guys do this?!

FandomConnection
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2016, 7:54 pm

Though many (NT) people think that people with ASD get tricked by any metaphors etc. I just memorise those that I hear/read in conjunction with their meanings. I do alright most of the time, but if somebody uses an unexpected metaphor, or one that I've never heard, I get confused. I like to learn the historical or cultural significance of metaphors to understand why it is used.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2016, 8:22 am

iCANTthinkOFaNAME wrote:
If someone says "pull your socks up" although i kind of know the meaning behind it, but I still *see* someone pulling their socks up. Or, if someone says "a chip on your shoulder" I'd *see* a chip (food) on someones shoulder. Although I know some basic metaphor language some doesn't make sense at all. Do you guys do this?!

The "chip" in the phrase is a chip of wood (like a piece of broken board). Not a little potato chip, or Frito chip.

A big visible thing teetering on your shoulder. It was a thing for macho guys (maybe in construction, or on the waterfront or whereever)to literally do that- walk around with chips of wood on their shoulders inviting others to knock the chip off their shoulder- which would be the signal for both to go into fisticuffs. You see that in old Thirties' movies.

So when someone today says "he has a chip on his shoulder" I see BOTH the literal image of a Victorian era tough guy with a piece of a broken pallet on his shoulder ready for fisticuffs, and the metaphoric meaning of a person with an attitude who always needs to get into verbal fisticuffs. The literal image aids, and abets getting the symbolic meaning.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2016, 8:44 am

Most folks are vaguely aware of the "chip on the shoulder" thing, but yes....there are MANY expressions that have obscure origins- but folks still use the expression with out even knowing the original literal meaning.

It does help to know origins.

For example: "give it the whole nine yards".

WTF?

When I was a teen decades ago I figured that that phrase must come from some sport. Yardage is vital in football. But the quantity nine has no special meaning for yards in football, nor in any sport I knew about. Even word experts who authored books were stumped. One language book I read said "you would think that the phrase would come from either sports, or from the tailoring/fabric industry. But in neither does the number nine have any special meaning. So the origin of the expression is a mystery".

Finally recently I learned something new to me: that in the WWII the bullet belts that fed the machine guns in the ball turrets of the big flying fortress bombers were...nine yards long. So its now easy to imagine that in the heat of battle- if you switched from fending off many targets coming from many directions- to keeping your gun on that one fighter coming straight at your plane- you would give that one enemy your.... "whole nine yards".

WOW! Makes perfect sense now!

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2016, 9:49 am

I've never heard the socks up thing. I've heard pull your bootstraps up.

My brother in law is English so sometimes he is confused by things that we say in the family and we are confused by things he says. It's totally not just an autism thing- it's a world thing. And yeah really we all just memorize them and don't realize it. They are not intuitive.

FandomConnection
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2016, 2:25 am

naturalplastic wrote:
Most folks are vaguely aware of the "chip on the shoulder" thing, but yes....there are MANY expressions that have obscure origins- but folks still use the expression with out even knowing the original literal meaning.

WTF?

When I was a teen decades ago I figured that that phrase must come from some sport. Yardage is vital in football. But the quantity nine has no special meaning for yards in football, nor in any sport I knew about. Even word experts who authored books were stumped. One language book I read said "you would think that the phrase would come from either sports, or from the tailoring/fabric industry. But in neither does the number nine have any special meaning. So the origin of the expression is a mystery".

Finally recently I learned something new to me: that in the WWII the bullet belts that fed the machine guns in the ball turrets of the big flying fortress bombers were...nine yards long. So its now easy to imagine that in the heat of battle- if you switched from fending off many targets coming from many directions- to keeping your gun on that one fighter coming straight at your plane- you would give that one enemy your.... "whole nine yards".

That's very interesting. I'd not heard that metaphor before, but I'll add it to my vocabulary! It makes me so happy to learn interesting things like that! :D

zkydz
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2016, 6:12 am

SocOfAutism wrote:
I've never heard the socks up thing. I've heard pull your bootstraps up.

My brother in law is English so sometimes he is confused by things that we say in the family and we are confused by things he says. It's totally not just an autism thing- it's a world thing. And yeah really we all just memorize them and don't realize it. They are not intuitive.
That's how I've gotten by. It's been good that I moved a lot and got exposed to different regions/cultures as well as being brought up by southerners means I got an education in colorful language...."Damn, if you just ain't as purty as a speckled birddog's pups..."

But, some I won't use because of the image it creates or I just can't use because I can't wrap my head around it at all.

Apple of my eye....WTF? I know what it is supposed to mean, but it is not a pleasant 'thing' associated with it.
Wears his/her heart on the sleeve....Makes no sense to me. Even when it was explained.....
Same applies to words. There are some words I cannot use because they literally get stuck in my head. I can't even type them...LOL

But, for the most part, it's just like any word, you hear it, slap a meaning to it and off you go.

RAADS-R -- 213.3
FQ -- 18.7
EQ -- 13
Aspie Quiz -- 186 out of 200
AQ: 42
AQ-10: 8.8

NikNak
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

28 Nov 2016, 6:42 am

naturalplastic wrote:

WTF?

Ahh that is really cool thanks for sharing!

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2016, 9:00 am

Idioms are in our language (and all languages) for a reason: they provide an illustrative and "folksy" way to concretize abstract concepts--and to provide a way for children to understand adult concepts.

The problem is, obviously, that we don't know the actual origins of many idioms, unless we were "there" at the time the idiom was formulated (i.e., many idioms come from a previous time, when the sayings were absolutely clear and immediately applicable). Fortunately, now, we have the Internet, so we could solve this problem more readily.

That "give it the whole nine yards" idiom never bothered me, despite the fact that I didn't know the origin. I just knew the meaning from context. But not knowing the origin really rankles some people, for understandable reasons.

Without idioms, frankly, language wouldn't be rich.

jcfay
Raven
Raven

28 Nov 2016, 12:25 pm

idioms aren't tricky for me either, however, it do always like to find out what the reason is behind the phrase. What gets me every time is sarcasm...

zkydz
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2016, 12:38 pm

jcfay wrote:
idioms aren't tricky for me either, however, it do always like to find out what the reason is behind the phrase. What gets me every time is sarcasm...

yeah....I'll have to go with that. And, when I try to figure it out, I get dunned for 'dwelling on it' when all I'm trying to do is figure things out.

RAADS-R -- 213.3
FQ -- 18.7
EQ -- 13
Aspie Quiz -- 186 out of 200
AQ: 42
AQ-10: 8.8

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

Sai
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

28 Nov 2016, 3:45 pm

I used to get stuck on phrases like this, and still do sometimes. I see what I think is the literal meaning ('apple of my eye' isn't a great visual!) but have learnt what it means. It takes me longer to get there than most people but it's just a memory test, much like my 'stock phrases' for various social situations.

iCANTthinkOFaNAME
Raven
Raven

28 Nov 2016, 4:42 pm

Thanks for your explanations guys! :)