Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2017, 1:44 pm

Adamantium wrote:
Ganondox wrote:
Adamantium wrote:
Ganondox wrote:
The how doesn't matter as long as it's an informed choice, and if there is no such choice, then it's just a hypothetical situation....

Well, without free-will Christian morality doesn't make any sense. I know there are deterministic Christians, but their God either appears evil or impotent.

How can implausible, undefined or meaningless terms be collected into an "informed decision?"

"The book you are holding was inspired God and contains ultimate Truth. Believe what it says about things you don't understand and can't perceive and something inconsistent with all the evidence of your senses, and that you can't understand until you are dead, but is really, really good will happen to you forever. Fail to believe in these undefined things properly and something worse than the worst thing you can imagine will happen to you forever. You should trust this book because it says so."

Does it make any sense? If the idea is the universe is a construct that was designed to be non-deterministic so that there could be free will specifically to address this question, the whole thing seems very, very poorly designed.

None of that has anything to do with rejecting salvation. To reject salvation is not to reject the teachings of a book, it's to betray God.

According to boatloads of Christians, it has everything to do with rejecting salvation. The lord is the word and the word is in the book, therefore the book and the lord are one. Believe the book or die.

Betraying God? I'm not sure I even understand what that means. Do you know what you mean when you use those words?

Some ideas I know about: Betraying a confidence. Betraying a friend. Betraying a lover. Betraying a spouse. Betraying a nation...

How can you betray something unless you already have a relationship with that thing to betray?

Unless God visits you and chats directly, which seems to happen mostly to psychotic people, you have to rely on the book or other second hand sources of dubious reliability.

The whole thing still seems very poorly designed, if that is the argument for a deliberately constructed non-deterministic universe.

I'm going with Mormon doctrine, most Christians believe some pretty dumb things (well, EVERYONE believes some pretty dumb things). And yes, you need to already have relationship with God, pretty much only apostates are capable of doing it for precisely the reasons you said. It's nothing something you can do in ignorance.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2017, 4:35 pm

If God is a fiction, or like any other being,
if you are as gods, whose will is holy,
why isn't everything :arrow: your fault.

GnosticBishop
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2017, 4:43 pm

friedmacguffins wrote:
If God is a fiction, or like any other being,
if you are as gods, whose will is holy,
why isn't everything :arrow: your fault.

Because nothing is holy that has not been named so by a human and we have always been wrong in how we have used that designation.

Regards
DL

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2017, 7:13 pm

The other possibility, which I have offered, rhetorically speaking, is that God is made-up -- a fiction.

Do you blame the state of the world on Snidely P. Whiplash, or the Hamburglar.

For a dozen pages straight, and years ongoing.

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2017, 7:30 pm

Aren't gnostics supposed to be able to manifest their own reality or outcomes, to some extent?

GnosticBishop
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2017, 8:11 pm

friedmacguffins wrote:
The other possibility, which I have offered, rhetorically speaking, is that God is made-up -- a fiction.

Do you blame the state of the world on Snidely P. Whiplash, or the Hamburglar.

For a dozen pages straight, and years ongoing.

If as many believed those real as Christians believe in God, and did as much harm to society, yes I would as that is a lot of homophobia and misogyny for any God and his blinded by fait sheeple to be responsible for.

If you would not then you are no much of a person.

For evil to grow, all good people need do is ignore the evil from Christianity and the other mainstream religions.

Is that clear enough for you?

Regards
DL

GnosticBishop
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2017, 8:17 pm

friedmacguffins wrote:
Aren't gnostics supposed to be able to manifest their own reality or outcomes, to some extent?

As much as any other human who has discovered and activated or listened to his right hemisphere.

You manifest your own reality to some extent do you not? All people do, I think, unless they is an a vegetable state in a hospital or care facility.

Gnosis is not a magic want. It just lets you know as much of you as you can absorb.

This link says it well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9QI3nlinYQ

Regards
DL

[email protected]
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

03 Jan 2017, 4:22 pm

How many religions create God in the image of their society, and almost everybody who is autistic experiences society's behavior behind closed doors, where anyone who reports the things society does and/or sponsors (e.g. economic exploitation such as wage theft, sexual molestation, bullying, demands that we become something different from ourselves), is dismissed and ignores as one of nature's mistakes and unworthy of the kind of human rights and dignity most people can take for granted? Surely such a god is evil, but we cannot know that such a thing exists in the physical world or in some unknowable beyond realm.
There are so many descriptions of God ordering genocides in the Old Testament, Joshua did not stop with Jericho. He and his blitzkrieg exterminated 22 more cities as they said, "Screw the commandments against coveting, murdering, stealing, and perhaps taking God's name in vain (if there is such a thing as God and nobody knows) claiming God told them to commit these crimes against humanity if there is anything to the Ten Commandments or did God contradict Himself proving He is not perfect?
Thus, I think it best not to assume too much about what wee cannot know.

GnosticBishop
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2017, 4:41 pm

How many religions create God in the image of their society, and almost everybody who is autistic experiences society's behavior behind closed doors, where anyone who reports the things society does and/or sponsors (e.g. economic exploitation such as wage theft, sexual molestation, bullying, demands that we become something different from ourselves), is dismissed and ignores as one of nature's mistakes and unworthy of the kind of human rights and dignity most people can take for granted? Surely such a god is evil, but we cannot know that such a thing exists in the physical world or in some unknowable beyond realm.
There are so many descriptions of God ordering genocides in the Old Testament, Joshua did not stop with Jericho. He and his blitzkrieg exterminated 22 more cities as they said, "Screw the commandments against coveting, murdering, stealing, and perhaps taking God's name in vain (if there is such a thing as God and nobody knows) claiming God told them to commit these crimes against humanity if there is anything to the Ten Commandments or did God contradict Himself proving He is not perfect?
Thus, I think it best not to assume too much about what wee cannot know.

True that we cannot know God.

Regardless of that truth, Christians think they know God as described in scriptures and have used that description to create a homophobic and misogynous religion that has denigrated and discriminated against those groups and more forever.

Declaring a genocidal son murdering God as evil, to me, seems like a good way to end some of that Christian immorality.

Regards
DL

UncannyDanny
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2017, 9:28 am

^Not all Christians are like that, dude. -_-

GnosticBishop
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2017, 4:01 pm

UncannyDanny wrote:
^Not all Christians are like that, dude. -_-

All who fly the cross or contribute to Christianity are supporting a genocidal son murdering God.

They are also contributing to intolerance, homophobia and misogyny.

You go ahead and try to slice the minority you are talking about out of those who fly the cross.

Oh, and as to Jesus. Having another innocent person suffer for the wrongs you have done, --- so that you might escape responsibility for having done them, --- is immoral.

As Ingersoll said; 'no man would be fit for heaven who would consent that an innocent person should suffer for his sin.'

Regards
DL

UncannyDanny
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2017, 6:39 pm

Can someone PLEASE block this forum!! ! This is getting totally ridiculous!

BTW, you're calling us 'immoral'? I'm calling you a pot who's calling kettles 'black'!

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2017, 11:07 pm

moderating

From the special guidelines for Politics, Philosophy & Religion

Quote:
While it is acceptable to attack and debate beliefs (political, religious etc) it is not acceptable to make generalised attacks on the adherents of those beliefs. It is acceptable to say that Republicanism, Liberalism, Christianity, Islam are stupid but not acceptable to make generalised attacks saying that Republicans, Liberals, Christians or Muslims are morons. You could say that some of these people are stupid because of (reason) but not make generalised attacks on groups of people. Similarly you could not say "Christians are morons" or "Muslims are terrorists" or "People on welfare are bums". Confine your attacks to the beliefs and politics, not the people holding them. The one exception to this is public figures themselves – by the very nature of their roles they are personally open to criticism.

These apply to right brain activated Gnostics just like everybody else.

Thread locked