Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

hellhole
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

27 Nov 2016, 5:32 pm

I'm quite verbal, but I still have monotone speech/mild apraxia of speech that makes me mumble under stress; people can't always understand me and truthfully it's humiliating. Pacing myself when talking has helped, but I'm a fast talker.

:?:

"vulnerable narcissistic defenses w/ mild borderline traits"; Body Dysmorphic Disorder, (self-diagnosed).

Our internal representation of reality: (http://bit.ly/2BJuj5o)

iCANTthinkOFaNAME
Raven
Raven

27 Nov 2016, 5:48 pm

Yep! Sometimes I speak loud and quiet at inappropriate times. Sorry, I'm really stupid. What is "monotonous" voice? Is this a rhythm or the sound? Sorry :( I, too, are a fast talker but sometimes I talk slurred like drag the words out.

hellhole
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

27 Nov 2016, 5:59 pm

"Monotone" would describe a voice that sounds drab and emotionless; a voice which does not usually change pitch. Some can mask this and turn it into a deep voice, which I can do at times, but I can't keep it up forever, eventually others detect the monotone speech.

"vulnerable narcissistic defenses w/ mild borderline traits"; Body Dysmorphic Disorder, (self-diagnosed).

Our internal representation of reality: (http://bit.ly/2BJuj5o)

SH90
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2016, 6:02 pm

People seem to not understand what I am saying or have difficulty… It’s rather annoying because I know I am smart, or at least average intelligence. I am a better writer, then speaker.

Last edited by SH90 on 27 Nov 2016, 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NotaHero
Toucan
Toucan

27 Nov 2016, 6:40 pm

Hi Hellhole. I would describe myself as a monotone mumbler who speaks to fast. I think it is taken for granted that speech comes naturally, but for some of us we have to work on it. I've tried the odd thing, but recently someone pointed out I am a chest breather and as such don't really breathe when I speak. I started trying a few exercises that I found on line for deep breathing/diaphragm breathing and I feel I have improved a bit, so you might want to look into that (It's still not natural, but I just have to accept it will take time to correct 34 years of bad habit)

I'm never sure how true these things are, but there has been some research into abnormal breathing as a comorbidity of autism, so may be relevant. It may not be the case, but I do have a preference to the logic of working on the fundamental/core level first to help make improvements.

http://www.treatbreathinginautism.com/causes/ For example.

slw1990
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2016, 7:16 pm

I sometimes talk quietly and have a monotone voice too so people can't always hear me very well. I also feel like it causes me to be misunderstood because people will sometimes think that what I say has a different meaning to it.

Last edited by slw1990 on 27 Nov 2016, 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

racheypie666
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2016, 7:32 pm

I feel like I don't have much control over tone/volume a lot of the time.

I often find that if I worry about sounding too quiet (i.e. in group speaking), then I absolutely will. If I don't think about it however, I'm usually fine.

I also notice the tone of my voice a lot; it seems to change in certain situations without my control. Sometimes I sound very HOLLOW AND MONOTONOUS, like Death in the Discworld novels lol :skull: , other times I'm a little high pitched and excitable for my own tastes. I don't think either of the tonal changes make me hard to understand, but maybe they make it hard for me to communicate my intentions or personality effectively. I worry I'll sound bored when I'm not, happy when I shouldn't be, etc.

zkydz
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2016, 8:05 pm

I am the diametric opposite of monotone. People complain that I am too 'dramatic' at times. I don't have much control over modulation or intensity. I mean intensity as in being told that I am much more intense sometimes when I think I am just in normal mode.

Edit: on the flip side, I do know that I have trouble with communications and that makes me hard to understand.

RAADS-R -- 213.3
FQ -- 18.7
EQ -- 13
Aspie Quiz -- 186 out of 200
AQ: 42
AQ-10: 8.8

Last edited by zkydz on 27 Nov 2016, 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AnneOleson
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2016, 8:17 pm

I speak very low. I've been told I mumble, but I don't think I do. I've done a lot of teaching over the years and I struggle to project my voice. I'm trying to work with my breathing.

Uncle
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2016, 11:25 pm

yup, i can be very quiet around people, if im talking to someone and there are people close by i will often be whispering, i am very self conscious of others listening, i dont know why but my anxiety increases.. Then on the other hand i can talk too loudly where everyone hears when im thinking im being relatively quiet! :?

I find i am more monotoned when overly tired, i will be alot quieter and very monotoned often clearing my throat...

Also i have learnt over the years to try and change my voice pitch ( similarly like talking to a puppy) because it seems if i talk in MY way it sounds intimidating, so since this was pointed out to me a few times when i was younger i change the style of pitch so in an attempt to not being taken in the wrong or a negative light!

Bloody hell, Just one thing to add to the daily exhaustion that seems to come naturally for almost everyone else! Not surprised im lethargic all the time! lol

oh and when i do talk in a quiet monotoned voice i seem to instantly put people to sleep! I often joke i should be a hypnotist! lol

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2016, 12:23 am

hellhole wrote:
I'm quite verbal, but I still have monotone speech/mild apraxia of speech that makes me mumble under stress; people can't always understand me and truthfully it's humiliating. Pacing myself when talking has helped, but I'm a fast talker.

:?:

Practice practice practice, trial and error, practice - repeat. It sucks. But it can get better over time. My speaking ability after years of working on it still sucks, but it IS better than it used to be.

ArielsSong
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2016, 2:31 am

I know that I speak very quickly. People always used to comment on this in school, which just made it worse.

I remember being in drama class and being asked to narrate the story, and the actors couldn't keep up. I didn't realise until I got to the end of the narration and noticed some people laughing, others looking frustrated and the teacher going "You did that far too quickly. How about slowing it down next time?".

I made a conscious effort all through school to slow down on the rare occasions I spoke, but the comments remained the same and so I don't think it worked. I've since given up trying, and nobody's ever commented again but I imagine I still do it.

I think I also have a slight speech impediment, but I don't even know what it would be called, and I don't think that helps. To me, it feels like my top lip is too tightly pressed against my top front teeth when I talk, so it's slightly like a lisp but because of my lip not my tongue. And I do the too loud/too quiet thing.

Lumi
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2016, 4:33 am

I frequently decide to "rewind" sentences. I speak well overall. Because of a form of dyspraxia, what I say can be mispronounced, a word skipped and/or sometimes unrelated switching. I still experience feeling a bit bad.

TheSilentOne
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2016, 8:55 am

I've been told I am. I speak very quietly and I talk incredibly fast. I have a speech impediment too and I stutter as well.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2016, 9:51 am

As I stated in another post, I communicate better in writing than by the spoken word, although I have a large vocabulary and a strong general knowledge base. When I'm stressed, my brain freezes and I sound absolutely stupid.

drlaugh
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2016, 10:50 am

No, if there is one to one conversation

With multiple people I'm told I look to the right or left and someone else thinks I'm talking to them.

In group work in my youth, at times if I get into a long story example I would get asked
Dr. Laugh - what are you talking about? 8)