is it ok to just not want a job anymore?

Page 2 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

madbutnotmad
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2019, 6:27 pm

I think that most societies under value people with Asperger Syndrome.
All due to our generally poor verbal, physical communication skills, logic, rigidness of thought
and low capacity for stress.

Having this general dynamic of symptoms makes us generally more suitable to work on our own,
and not be "team players". because when we work in teams, we usually fall out with people or
screw something up due to out Asperger problems.

However, some of our big strengths is that we are generally very hard working, patient, are logical,
have a good eye for detail and often are able to think out the box.

Taking this into consideration, i think that many of us techy aspies would be ideal candidates for working on
our own projects on various techy areas, such as designing and developing IoT devices and solutions,
and other similar technical, innovative and creative projects.

If i had access to money i would use it to fund genuine individuals for their projects while they did not work,
giving them money to buy equipment, materials and components and training.

And then monitor to see what comes from it.
A good assertive high functioning ASD sufferer, who isn't afraid of putting in time, but who may not be suitable
for the conventional work place may be capable of real innovation and ultimately may be able to use their Asperger attributes to actually make commercial products or even research, that can generate income in the long run and create a return in revenue for any sponsors.

But alas, no one has the vision to help us broken communicators, as they listen to us speak and automatically assume we aren't capable of any thing of worth or too much of a risky investment.

In the area that i live in, someone like Einstein is more likely to be forced in to work, perhaps after the government invests loads of money giving them training in menial labour and low level jobs, than they are to give such people a faction of the costs they invest for training so that the same people can distance or home learn.

With the official training my local government pay good money for not actually really guaranteeing even a job placement or employment in the long term. This to me just proves what idiots the people involved in governing these areas are.

But unfortunately, the people in power do not necessarily have high IQ's, even if they have good communication and good manipulation skills (the liars, thieves, con men, slanderers, bullies usually float to the top, just like scum in a pond).

Welcome to society! have a nice day!

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

09 Jul 2019, 11:41 am

I know this post is a couple years old & the OP probably isn't around anymore but I think this topic could be relevant to some of us here so I won't feel bad about posting on it.

gee_dee wrote:
However if I threw the towel in now I'd feel guilty for not trying, for becoming a lazy layabout who sponges off the government and society. I'm just wondering if it's acceptable, at a certain point, to go "there's nothing out there so I might as well try to enjoy unemployed life as much as possible"...
I relate to this. I have various physical & mental disabilities besides Aspergers & I've struggled majorly to find work. Basically the jobs I am capable of doing well & have done are minimum wage type jobs like dish-washing, floor-cleaning, & custodial. I struggled for a couple years to find work before I got my 1st job because the recession had started & I had no work experience or certifications or college degrees. It might of been OK in my teens & if I was going to skewl but it's not for someone in their early 20s who's not in college. Even the minimum wage jobs that most any high-skewl dropout could do(I didn't drop out & do have a diploma) get hundreds of applications & the companies don't have time to review them all. Something needs to stand out on the apps like work experience(even if it's completely unrelated) or college degrees(I've known some people in retail who had college degrees & no major disabilities). Simply having a name, address, & social security number on job apps does NOT attract employers. I only got my 1st job cuz an employment organization lined it up for me. Anyways I only worked 3 jobs & worked about 38 months. I struggled majorly to find work even after I had work experience. My parents(especially mom) were on my back a lot about how I was lazy even thou I was doing my best to find work. I come from a very hard-core conservative area(deep south) & thankfully my parents aren't conservative but lots in that area are. Society can certainly be hard on people who are on benefits & not working. It's even worse for a single guy who desperately wants a relationship like I did. I was basically seen as a loser in the dating realm. I worked alot of overtime when allowed to & I was doing my very best to find a job working within my disabilities & limitations so I kinda know I'm not the lazy leach sucking on the teat of the hard-working American taxpayer that the politicians & society make me out to be. After I last worked my SSI got changed into Social Security Disability & Social Security is kinda like an insurance program you pay into when you work(Social Security taxes) & it covers you after you retire or quit working due to disabilities & the ladder one is what happened with me. Plus the money I get is based on how much I paid into with Social Security taxes & the taxes were higher when I had a higher income which was when I was working more hours. I know I really shouldn't feel guilty about being on this program.

I quit looking for work after I got in my 2nd relationship. We were long distance(met on this forum) & I planned to move in with her. I hated my area & felt trapped cuz it was rural, I cant drive, & there really wasn't any public transportation so I had to rely on my parents to take me anywhere which frustrated them. Anyways that relationship didn't work out so I started looking for work again shortly after & shortly after that I got in my current relationship. We also met on this forum & were long distance at 1st. Like me she's disabled in various physical & mental ways. She's on some benefits including housing so we moved in together after she spent a week or so with me & my parents & I spent a week or so with her a couple times. I quit looking for work after our relationship started. I planned to look for work after we moved in together but I never did. I really should of thou but I had a lot of adjusting to do & Cass needs me around some. I don't think she could really handle me having a full time job & if I cant do that, it really only pays for me to get a part time job where my pay is low enough so I could still keep my benefits. Getting a job like that is harder to find & for some reason I never got around to looking. I'm not really sure how to look for that kinda job that I can do & I've gotten kinda used to not working I guess. There's things about not working I like & I figure while I'm not working I might as well enjoy myself so that may be some of the reason I'm not motivated to try. Plus I think I might be using Cass as an excuse not to by thinking she needs me around a lot when she probably doesn't need me around as much. She doesn't really have a schedule & I don't either & me & her aren't always on the same schedules anyways & sometimes she's awake the whole time I'm sleeping so she might be able to handle me working a few hours a day. I know I really should get a part-time job cuz we have a lot of debt & say an extra five hundred a month would gradually bail us out. Plus I'd be paying more in Social Security taxes so my disability money would very slowly increase. We're trying to move rite now thou. There's various things me & her don't like about this place & Cass kinda needs to be closer to her family. Being with different family members each for a couple days at a time every month is hard on her & she would rather if she could just spend a few hours a day with em more days which I understand. We're on some housing waiting lists & she needs to fill out more apps but needs to look into some things 1st. It really doesn't pay for me to look for a job now if there's a chance we could move in a few months but we started the process of trying last year & Cass moves slowly with things & so do housing places that have waiting lists. Maybe I'm making another excuse to not try looking for work rite now IDK. I'm sure after we move I'll have adjusting to do again. Oh well the job search can wait.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition