Veteran

08 Dec 2016, 3:45 am

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... xperiences

....for those who are so minded.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2016, 4:11 am

I guess i'm something like a watered-down version of those folks, I leave the house just to take a daily vigorous exercise walk up and down the hills of my rural neighborhood, then drive into town once per week to get groceries or visit sister in town, 9/10ths of the time I stay home. it is more peaceful this way, the less I have to interact with people not on my wavelength, the better for both parties.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2016, 5:47 am

auntblabby wrote:
I guess i'm something like a watered-down version of those folks, I leave the house just to take a daily vigorous exercise walk up and down the hills of my rural neighborhood, then drive into town once per week to get groceries or visit sister in town, 9/10ths of the time I stay home. it is more peaceful this way, the less I have to interact with people not on my wavelength, the better for both parties.

A type of lifestyle I sincerely aspire to having. I was recently picturing a similar scenario in which I'd be happiest as an adult. The only parts I'd change for myself would be, groceries are delivered and I ride the bus instead of driving. Driving would be better for maintaining privacy, but is also scary to me. I'm glad you have a sister to visit. I'd want to visit my cousin since I don't have a sibling.

#HermitPower

Last edited by EzraS on 08 Dec 2016, 5:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2016, 5:55 am

EzraS wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

A type of lifestyle I sincerely aspire to having. I was recently picturing a similar scenario in which I'd be happiest as an adult. The only parts I'd change for myself would be, groceries are delivered and I ride the bus instead of driving. Driving would be better for maintaining privacy, but is also scary to me. I'm glad you have a sister to visit. I'd want to visit my cousin since I don't have a sibling.

how far a ride is cousin from you?

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2016, 7:06 am

I'm to the point now that I'd rather be in a dark basement and never see the light of day again. As it currently stands, I stay locked in my room, and I don't leave except to go to the bathroom, make my meals, go grocery shopping, go to the doctor, go to church and haul around that f!cking drunk black jackass. (Hint: there's only one thing I want for Christmas: an oak 2x4, so I can whale away on his head when he triggers me by grabbing for my crotch.)

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2016, 9:29 am

auntblabby wrote:
EzraS wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

how far a ride is cousin from you?

Oh he lives in the same house right now, we're the same age. He's my cousin/twin haha. But in the far future I'd like to live by myself, but visit him like once a week.

pezar
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2016, 11:55 am

I have been planning a hermitage for quite a while, and it looks as if it may actually come to fruition in 2017. I have been living on my own, more or less, since I graduated high school in 1993, and I have seen the outside world become progressively more angry and corrupt. Many people have become narcissists, seeking constant validation through social media delivered by smartphone. I regularly see people who cannot tear themselves from their phones even to interact with checkout line clerks at supermarkets and drugstores. I simply don't have any place at all in this strange new world. Most of my immediate family is dead except for my mother, who is sickly herself. Once I move off her property she will likely sell it and move to a senior apartment building. So yes, I am planning to be a hermit.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2016, 9:54 pm

I wouldn't mind being somewhat of a pseudo-hermit myself. I'd want some interaction but on my own terms. Enough money not to need a job and to set up a farmstead out in th' hills that backs up to national forest land that I can access.
I'd still go to town for stuff and I'd probably do lots of volunteer work at the local animal shelter.
It's living in the suburbs, traffic, noise, work, and all that other day to day BS that's really getting tiresome.

Feyokien
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2016, 9:56 pm

Raptor wrote:
I wouldn't mind being somewhat of a pseudo-hermit myself. I'd want some interaction but on my own terms. Enough money not to need a job and to set up a farmstead out in th' hills that backs up to national forest land that I can access.
I'd still go to town for stuff and I'd probably do lots of volunteer work at the local animal shelter.
It's living in the suburbs, traffic, noise, work, and all that other day to day BS that's really getting tiresome.

That sounds like the dream.

slave
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2016, 4:37 am

underwater wrote:
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/dec/08/modern-day-hermits-share-experiences

....for those who are so minded.

ty :D

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2016, 5:36 pm

Raptor wrote:

You'd never regret it.Ozark National forest is a mile from me,no close neighbors.The people in this area are very protective of their privacy.I can walk all day in the woods and never see another person,river a ten minute walk away with several spring fed swimming holes.No city water,a spring and two wells,wood heat.I do have electricity,Internet and phone.I used to have a perfect night time skyline with no lights except a radio tower,then idiots on the far mountain put up night lights.I can only see them in the winter,so in the summer the sky line looks like it did before wh***y showed up.It's like heaven.
I'm cutting way back on town trips since I can just order on line and have it delivered.Just had 150lbs of dog food delivered to the front porch.Nice.
I rarely get company,if I choose I can lock the gate and have total privacy.Most around here won't cross a locked gate.Not healthy to do so.Its also a blast for the dogs,they get to chase squirrels,rabbits and they feel important when they chase the deer out of the yard.
This spring I'm going to tap my maple trees and try my hand at making syrup.This fall I feasted on wild mushrooms,Coral and Oyster.In the spring,morels.
Lots of wild food to eat plus space to grow all the fruit and veggies I need.
Walmart is an hour away,but the little town has a dollar store and I like it better.
Not even a red light in this county.
Some people move here and hate it,the social isolation gets to them.Nothing is open in town after eight o'clock.No pizza delivery lol Most people stay at home after dark unless they go to Wens night church or a event at one of the schools.
No way would ever leave,I hope to be fortunate enough to die here when the time comes.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2016, 5:41 pm

Misslizard wrote:
You'd never regret it.Ozark National forest is a mile from me,no close neighbors.The people in this area are very protective of their privacy.I can walk all day in the woods and never see another person,river a ten minute walk away with several spring fed swimming holes.No city water,a spring and two wells,wood heat.I do have electricity,Internet and phone.I used to have a perfect night time skyline with no lights except a radio tower,then idiots on the far mountain put up night lights.I can only see them in the winter,so in the summer the sky line looks like it did before wh***y showed up.It's like heaven.
I'm cutting way back on town trips since I can just order on line and have it delivered.Just had 150lbs of dog food delivered to the front porch.Nice.
I rarely get company,if I choose I can lock the gate and have total privacy.Most around here won't cross a locked gate.Not healthy to do so.Its also a blast for the dogs,they get to chase squirrels,rabbits and they feel important when they chase the deer out of the yard.
This spring I'm going to tap my maple trees and try my hand at making syrup.This fall I feasted on wild mushrooms,Coral and Oyster.In the spring,morels.
Walmart is an hour away,but the little town has a dollar store and I like it better.
Some people move here and hate it,the social isolation gets to them.Nothing is open in town after eight o'clock.No pizza delivery lol Most people stay at home after dark unless they go to Wens night church or a event at one of the schools.
No way would ever leave,I hope to be fortunate enough to die here when the time comes.

that sounds like a little piece of heaven :wtg:

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2016, 6:21 pm

auntblabby wrote:
Misslizard wrote:

that sounds like a little piece of heaven :wtg:

It is.Even with ticks and humidity in summer,a small price to pay for paradise.Always something to see in the woods and I have wonderful sunsets and a great night sky for stargazing.There is a huge black walnut tree by the house so I get shade and tasty nuts to eat.I was hoping to be able to make homemade wine from my muscadine vine but I think one of those devilish pack rats carried most off.Left me just enough to make a few jars of jelly.
Another great perk of rural areas is that people still care for their neighbor's,if you need help it's just a call away.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2016, 6:27 pm

Misslizard wrote:
Even with ticks and humidity in summer, a small price to pay for paradise. Always something to see in the woods and I have wonderful sunsets and a great night sky for stargazing.There is a huge black walnut tree by the house so I get shade and tasty nuts to eat. I was hoping to be able to make homemade wine from my Muscatine vine but I think one of those devilish pack rats carried most off. Left me just enough to make a few jars of jelly.
Another great perk of rural areas is that people still care for their neighbor's, if you need help it's just a call away.

your rural area sounds more genteel than mine. with very few exceptions here, nobody helps anybody else here, the unwritten rule is, " you got your problems, I got mine, and let's keep it that way!"

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2016, 7:13 pm

auntblabby wrote:
Misslizard wrote:
Even with ticks and humidity in summer, a small price to pay for paradise. Always something to see in the woods and I have wonderful sunsets and a great night sky for stargazing.There is a huge black walnut tree by the house so I get shade and tasty nuts to eat. I was hoping to be able to make homemade wine from my Muscatine vine but I think one of those devilish pack rats carried most off. Left me just enough to make a few jars of jelly.
Another great perk of rural areas is that people still care for their neighbor's, if you need help it's just a call away.

your rural area sounds more genteel than mine. with very few exceptions here, nobody helps anybody else here, the unwritten rule is, " you got your problems, I got mine, and let's keep it that way!"

That's sad.i think people treat each other better when they don't live close together.People used to be able to catch a ride on the local school buses if they had car trouble.They don't allow that anymore for safety reasons.When we had the big ice storm neighbors helped each other to clear the roads and driveways.Not sure what the population is in your county,it's below 8,000 here with the county seat having a population of around 700.
If a family is in need for medical bills or their home burned there will be some kind of benefit like a pie supper or music to raise money.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2016, 10:10 pm

Misslizard wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
Misslizard wrote:

That's sad.i think people treat each other better when they don't live close together.People used to be able to catch a ride on the local school buses if they had car trouble.They don't allow that anymore for safety reasons.When we had the big ice storm neighbors helped each other to clear the roads and driveways.Not sure what the population is in your county,it's below 8,000 here with the county seat having a population of around 700. If a family is in need for medical bills or their home burned there will be some kind of benefit like a pie supper or music to raise money.

county seat has about 9k people, or had until the main employer shut down, now it is akin to a ghost town. out in the middle of the county where I live, population density is considerably lower, less than 100 people per square mile my little 'burb, and less than 10 per square mile in most of the rest of the county..