How to deal with a potentially violent work situation?

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

Rakshasa72
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2016, 5:35 am

After spending about 6 months out of work since February; I finally got a job with a company that I had work with a few years ago. The first month working there went fairly well but, we were incredibly busy. We were working 7/12s from Halloween to Thanksgiving. After Thanksgiving I got re-assigned and things slowed down a bit. However they re-assigned me from working with a fellow Journeyman(who openly claims to be Autistic) who made me feel comfortable to working with an Apprentice who made me feel very uncomfortable.

When we first started working together this guy told me he didn't like me. He started making weirdly menacing statements. Asking if I owned a gun. Flashing knives around early in the mornings. Showing me how sharp they were. He told me that he had recently been in prison and, Complained about allege racist treatment by cops.

At the same time he was cutting out of work early almost daily(sometimes 15 mins sometimes hours) and, was lying to the foreman about it. He was asking me to lie to the foreman about it. Then last week he slipped up and told one foreman he left early"to take his son to the hospital" and then told another foreman that he did not. He was really worried that they would ask me about it and kept asking me not to tell them the truth. He even offered me $5 to lie to the foreman. Needless to say this situation is pretty ridiculous.

Just this Friday he left 15-30mins early. Someone must have seen this and told the foreman because 2 hours later the foreman texted me asking if he left early. Immediately after the text the foreman attempted to call me. I ignored both the text and the call because I generally don't communicate well if I am under stress.

I worked Saturday and my apprentice didn't show up(surprise!). I was panicking so I texted the foreman to come and talk. I packed up my tools and was ready to leave the job. When the foreman came I told him that I was uncomfortable talking to him about my apprentice but, that I felt threatened by the apprentice. I told him about the bribe. He tried to calm me down and, convinced me to stay at work for the day. He told me that he was planning on sacking my apprentice Monday. Never the less I felt like taking my tools home with me at the end of the day Saturday but, instead I did not. I'm starting to feel like this was a mistake(among other mistakes I'll get to later).

On Sunday we had the day off. That morning my apprentice started furiously texting me about his fear of getting fired on Monday. Apparently the foreman told him to meet him before the weekly safety meeting in the morning on Monday. He wanted to know what I knew about it. I managed to calm him down by saying we've had a Monday morning re-organization meeting for the last 2 weeks. This seemed to calm him down a bit. I did not tell him about what the foreman told me on Saturday (I think for obvious reasons).

So finally I get to now. It's 2am Monday morning and in 4 hours I'm scheduled to be at work. I'm really having a lot of anxiety about what I should do. Before I knew about my apprentices tendencies I told him where I park. I really feel that I could have put myself at risk if he blames me for getting sacked. He doesn't seem like someone who takes personal responsibility for his actions. I have to walk alone for 5 blocks to get to the jobsite from the offsite parking(because the onsite Garage is full). I'm also worried that he might vandalize my car while I'm at work after he gets fired or, worse yet he may attempt to steal it( as he has bragged about before). Worse yet he can find out where I live from my Journeyman's license number that I(stupidly) gave him(for hours reporting) on Friday.

I don't think I should go into work tomorrow. Like Mr. Miyagi said, "Best defense. No be there."

Any other advice someone might have is appreciated to.

Rakshasa72
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2016, 1:31 am

Update. I stayed home that Monday. The laid my apprentice off. Subsequently I found out that he was suspected of taking and selling drugs on the job. So that explains all the times he was sneaking off early. I'm a little upset that they knew all this and didn't tell me.

They laid me off a week later. So much for being the squeaky wheel.