Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2016, 2:41 pm

There is a us gov. job hiring only veterens and disabled people. They are hiring at 7 locations, everyone must pick 3. Locations pretty scattered They will only consider the first 75 people plus anyone else that applies that day. (I applied 40 minutes after job was put up)

i might have a head up because they are looking for someone with a college degree OR 1 year experience and i have both. Also two locations are in my state.

What are my chances?

Avatar: A Shiny from the new Pokemon Pearl remake, Shiny Chatot... I named him TaterTot...

FINALLY diagnosed with ASD 2/6/2020

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2016, 5:05 pm

Angnix wrote:
I might have a head up because they are looking for someone with a college degree OR 1 year experience and i have both. Also two locations are in my state. What are my chances?

Are you talking-about a USAjobs.gov job? I'd say your chances are as good as the hundreds of other people who are veterans and / or disabled, with college degrees and 1 year experience. I've been applying for YEARS (I'm also a veteran and disabled), and only got a bite last year----they told me my degree, experience and teaching certificate, all, checked-out ("highly qualified"), and that I was on the list; BUT, it takes 4 to 12 MONTHS to get a job!!

Also, did you know that résumés for the Feds are QUITE different from "regular" résumés? If you didn't, I'd suggest checking the "Résumé Sample" they have on the page where you upload résumés----if you don't have that, kiss ANY job with them, goodbye! It took me, like, 22 hours (over a couple of days) to write that teaching résumé, fill-out the application, and answer the questionnaire----I do all of that ahead of time (off-line, BEFORE I upload it), triple-check keywords / catch-phrases, and so-forth, that are the same as in the application / questionnaire, to make sure my résumé had the same words. They run application packages through a computer program and it kicks-out (disqualifies) résumés that don't have the verbiage they're lookin'-for.

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2016, 5:35 pm

I must be doing better than most because i TURNED DOWN 2 jobs from USAJOBS last summer because my husband didnt like something about the job (one because it was in NYC and another because it involved chainsaws)

Avatar: A Shiny from the new Pokemon Pearl remake, Shiny Chatot... I named him TaterTot...

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2016, 5:50 pm

My husband being overprotective of me cost me three jobs last summer and reciently i had a local interview which he prevented me from going to because "too cold outside" because i didnt make the interview it cost me the job.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2016, 6:14 pm

Angnix wrote:
I must be doing better than most because i TURNED DOWN 2 jobs from USAJOBS last summer because my husband didnt like something about the job (one because it was in NYC and another because it involved chainsaws)

"Turned-down", as in you attended all the interviews and were given an actual OFFER?

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2016, 6:15 pm

Angnix wrote:
My husband being overprotective of me cost me three jobs last summer and reciently i had a local interview which he prevented me from going to because "too cold outside" because i didnt make the interview it cost me the job.

"Over-protective" or "controlling"?

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2016, 6:28 pm

Campin_Cat wrote:
Angnix wrote:

"Turned-down", as in you attended all the interviews and were given an actual OFFER?

The NYC job gave me an offer after a phone interview, but it was just seasonal, the other job I had one good interview before hubby stopped it.

Hubby sites safety reasons why i shouldnt have a job.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2016, 6:49 pm

Angnix wrote:
The NYC job gave me an offer after a phone interview, but it was just seasonal, the other job I had one good interview before hubby stopped it. Hubby sites safety reasons why i shouldnt have a job.

Oh, "seasonal"----that's not a "regular" Feds job----I knew there was a catch. One can get a seasonal job for the Feds, within weeks (maybe even DAYS); so, you didn't "turn-down" 2 Feds jobs, then (as in, professional jobs).

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2016, 7:10 pm

These jobs are GS-05 jobs with the Forest Service,

https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/459887800/

That should give you a better idea. I picked the two Michigan locations and NC.

One of the MI locations and NC deal extensively with endangered birds which i know about.

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2016, 7:13 pm

Angnix wrote:

sounds worse than overprotective and into controlling. you may have to defy him to get where you want to go.

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2016, 7:26 pm

cathylynn wrote:
Angnix wrote:

sounds worse than overprotective and into controlling. you may have to defy him to get where you want to go.

We just dont have much money. He just recently applied for disability and if he gets it, fine, but i would rather work.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2016, 8:17 pm

Angnix wrote:

One of the MI locations and NC deal extensively with endangered birds which i know about.

First-of-all, if your husband won't allow you to go to an interview because it's cold outside, what makes you think he's gonna let you get a job that "may require overnight travel" (as per linked job announcement)?

Secondly, "know about"----as in, have a degree in, or work knowledge / experience? If "know about" means you've studied it obsessively, Aspie-style, that's not gonna get you anywhere----they want PROOF!! Also, I don't see anything on there, about endangered birds----nor anything that says you'll be talking about animals of the forest, for instance.

Thirdly, that job announcement says "one year of SPECIALIZED experience"----not just one year of experience, like you seemed to be saying. Do you have specialized experience in:

"Inventories and prepares reports on the annual volumes of use, trends in public information needs, and public response to existing information output."

and

"Planning and presenting interpretive talks and programs for visitors, local schools, and other groups."

?

Also, if your husband's not letting you get jobs in Michigan, what makes you think he'll let you get a job in NC?

I don't know what you're doin'----I don't know if you're reading these job announcements properly, or if you're just applying for things, just to say you're applying for jobs.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2016, 8:23 pm

Angnix wrote:
He just recently applied for disability and if he gets it, fine, but i would rather work.

It might take him 3 years, to get on Disability.

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2016, 8:44 pm

Campin_Cat wrote:
Angnix wrote:

First-of-all, if your husband won't allow you to go to an interview because it's cold outside, what makes you think he's gonna let you get a job that "may require overnight travel" (as per linked job announcement)?

Secondly, "know about"----as in, have a degree in, or work knowledge / experience? If "know about" means you've studied it obsessively, Aspie-style, that's not gonna get you anywhere----they want PROOF!! Also, I don't see anything on there, about endangered birds----nor anything that says you'll be talking about animals of the forest, for instance.

Thirdly, that job announcement says "one year of SPECIALIZED experience"----not just one year of experience, like you seemed to be saying. Do you have specialized experience in:

"Inventories and prepares reports on the annual volumes of use, trends in public information needs, and public response to existing information output."

and

"Planning and presenting interpretive talks and programs for visitors, local schools, and other groups."

?

Also, if your husband's not letting you get jobs in Michigan, what makes you think he'll let you get a job in NC?

I don't know what you're doin'----I don't know if you're reading these job announcements properly, or if you're just applying for things, just to say you're applying for jobs.

First of all, i have a years experience in providing interpretive talks and audio visual and designing signs and exibits.

Second my husband likes the NC one.

Third, he applied for ssi and promised an answer in 3-6 months.

Why so negative?

Oh, i looked it up apnd those areas manage the birds, though in fact i dont know if i am going to work with them

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2016, 9:21 pm

Angnix wrote:
First of all, i have a years experience in providing interpretive talks and audio visual and designing signs and exibits.

Second my husband likes the NC one.

Third, he applied for ssi and promised an answer in 3-6 months.

Why so negative?

Oh, i looked it up apnd those areas manage the birds, though in fact i dont know if i am going to work with them

I'm not being negative----I'm being realistic / wholly considering the matter, because you, IMO, haven't given us any indication that you are (being realistic / wholly considering the matter). You come on here every-once-in-awhile with, pretty much, the same posts----and, most people respond to you, the same way: "You're not qualified for that job", and "Your husband is controlling". Either you're being terribly naïve, or you're trying to sell us something, that most aren't buying.

Does "providing" mean "planning and presenting", like the announcement says? Have you spoken in front of groups of people? The job announcement says you'll be "making regular visits to schools and social groups"----that could mean you'll be standing on a stage in front of HUNDREDS of kids----can you do that? (It's not TOTALLY uncommon for an Aspie----afterall, I've been a teacher, and LOVE it----but, it's not what one would usually call an Aspie-friendly job.) I just don't want you to have false hopes----it can be a terrible let-down for those of us who have been looking for a "proper" (permanent) job, for as long as you and I, and others, have.

Also, it says you'll be making speeches about fire safety and littering, and stuff like that----I'm just thinking that you're thinking it's something different than what it is (again, it doesn't say anything about talking about your beloved birds----even though you've looked it up and have seen that those areas manage birds, that's not what the announcement says; and, I'm thinking that is someone ELSE'S job, to give those kinds of talks).

In regard to "promised an answer in 3-6 months": I'm thinking that a letter or person actually used the word "response" (as in, "We'll be getting back to you, in 3-6 months"----not "answer"), and that ("response") could mean / be: "We will need more details, in order to continue to the next stage of the process" (or something like that).

In regard to your husband liking the job in NC: It's quite possible he's sounding supportive of it, because he figures you won't get it----so, he's throwing you a bone; and you're, seemingly, giving him BIG points, for it (which he knows you'll do, so that's why he did it).