Page 2 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

carturo222
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2016, 12:31 am

Sorry, you're right. I didn't mean to say that evolution had childbearing as a priority. I should have used a more precise wording.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2016, 12:33 am

No worries. I only wanted to clarify because I've met people here who tend to believe it.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2016, 12:47 am

For the vast majority of the history of mankind, kids had to grow up much faster than today.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2016, 1:34 am

248RPA wrote:
As we go through life, our cells divide over and over. Every time a cell divides, a little bit of DNA is lost, and DNA controls everything in our body.

They think that the lost DNA during cell division causes damage to our bodies' cells. Since our cells divide again and again as we get older, the damage accumulates. So that's why our bodies get frail and stuff when we're old.

it's not so much that the DNA is "lost", but i'm sure it does happen on occasion. all DNA is very important, coding sections that translate into RNA and amino acids especially, but even the noncoding "junk" DNA has its own use in functions relating to chromosome structure and cell division itself, and sequences relating to centromere function. i think we'd become invalid very quickly if we started losing even a little bit of DNA.

you're correct that mistakes accumulate over the years, and this may be a major factor behind aging and increases susceptibility to cancer and mutations, but many of these are mistakes made during transcriptions between other varieties nucleic acids or when constructing proteins. most mistakes in base sequences are fixed by the DNA polymerase or via enzymes after the fact, but stuff always falls through the cracks. :|

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2016, 4:59 am

Kiprobalhato wrote:
248RPA wrote:
As we go through life, our cells divide over and over. Every time a cell divides, a little bit of DNA is lost, and DNA controls everything in our body.

They think that the lost DNA during cell division causes damage to our bodies' cells. Since our cells divide again and again as we get older, the damage accumulates. So that's why our bodies get frail and stuff when we're old.

it's not so much that the DNA is "lost", but i'm sure it does happen on occasion. all DNA is very important, coding sections that translate into RNA and amino acids especially, but even the noncoding "junk" DNA has its own use in functions relating to chromosome structure and cell division itself, and sequences relating to centromere function. i think we'd become invalid very quickly if we started losing even a little bit of DNA.

you're correct that mistakes accumulate over the years, and this may be a major factor behind aging and increases susceptibility to cancer and mutations, but many of these are mistakes made during transcriptions between other varieties nucleic acids or when constructing proteins. most mistakes in base sequences are fixed by the DNA polymerase or via enzymes after the fact, but stuff always falls through the cracks. :|

So what does viral DNA -- for example, from the Borna virus -- do for us if all DNA is very important?