Office/Computer Chair Recommendations? (Even expensive ones)

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2016, 9:12 pm

Some time in the next year I may have to break down and get a high-quality office chair for computer work. For the first time in my life I'm starting to get lower back pain from all the time I spend working at the computer while sitting in really bad chairs.

I have had a couple of low-priced office chairs over the years, and while they seem comfortable at first, within a few weeks or months they seem to give out and become quite uncomfortable.

Can anyone recommend a chair for long-term use that they have found genuinely comfortable/healthy? The prices of some of the supposedly ergonomic chairs are astronomical, and I find it hard to believe that they are more than brand hype. But if it is the case that something like the Aeron chair will in fact eliminate back pain and last for years, then it becomes just one more annoying but maybe necessary medical/health expense like any other.

Here's one example (and I'm afraid they all look ugly to me):
https://www.amazon.com/Herman-Miller-Ae ... B0014YGGKE

Recommendations?

There Are Four Lights!

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2016, 10:42 pm

I was about to mention exactly that chair. I don't own it myself -- someone I worked for had one. He swore by it for being better for you. His work involved being at a computer for long hours. I can't personally vouch for it but he seemed to be happy with it.

That price though, ouch.

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2016, 11:50 pm

BirdInFlight wrote:
I was about to mention exactly that chair. I don't own it myself -- someone I worked for had one. He swore by it for being better for you. His work involved being at a computer for long hours. I can't personally vouch for it but he seemed to be happy with it.

That price though, ouch.

People always seem to claim that it really does prevent back problems from long-term sitting, but if it's that good, I'm just not understanding why the same thing can't be built for $200. I suppose if it lasts ten years, that translates to $100/yr, or less than $10/month, which isn't bad if it really does help prevent injuries.

There Are Four Lights!

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2016, 7:31 pm

Ha, I think I found the world's most expensive office chair:

It can be yours for a mere $2284! 8O This one claims that you can use it to completely recline, and it includes a flip-up pillow. This appeals to me, because I often need to take a quick nap at my desk to, um, enhance my creativity. Yeah, that's it. :mrgreen:

http://store.steelcase.com/seating/loun ... worklounge

There Are Four Lights!

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2016, 9:04 pm

I have a Herman Miller Aeron--when I bought it was the only quality chair I could find that wasn't too big.
I can sit in it all day without issues. Herman Miller has 15% off sales in June and December.

http://www.staples.com/Staples-Professi ... ct_1678457
I bought one of these last year--for watching TV, but I rarely sit it in for more than hour, as I'm not much of a TV watcher.

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2016, 10:48 pm

BTDT wrote:
I have a Herman Miller Aeron--when I bought it was the only quality chair I could find that wasn't too big.
I can sit in it all day without issues. Herman Miller has 15% off sales in June and December.

http://www.staples.com/Staples-Professi ... ct_1678457
I bought one of these last year--for watching TV, but I rarely sit it in for more than hour, as I'm not much of a TV watcher.

So is the Aeron chair actually superior to the Staples knock-off? If the Staples chair gives out after a couple of years and the Aeron lasts ten, then I can certainly see the difference. I'm also thinking that I may fidget so much in my chair, aspie-style, that no matter what one I eventually get I still won't be comfortable. :(

There Are Four Lights!

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2016, 3:08 am

Yes, the Herman Miller is a much better chair, if you can afford it. The Staples product is obviously cheaper in construction.

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2019, 2:56 am

Frustrated again. Can't find any chair that is comfortable and doesn't hurt my back. Probably need to look at chairs designed for other species. :(

There Are Four Lights!

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2019, 7:01 am

Darmok wrote:
Frustrated again. Can't find any chair that is comfortable and doesn't hurt my back. Probably need to look at chairs designed for other species. :(

Well based on your selfies...

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2019, 10:58 am

EzraS wrote:
Darmok wrote:

Well based on your selfies...

See, no back support at all:

There Are Four Lights!

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2019, 11:02 am

I still like my Aeron. It is holding up well.

BenderRodriguez
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2019, 11:42 am

I've spent almost 3 decades sitting in front of a computer for at least 8 hours every day - you're not going to like my take on it.

Any "comfortable" chair that encourages or even allows any type on slouching will end up messing up your back. Core strengthening exercises and a posture correcting brace help.

After trying almost every "desk chair" in existence, both at work and at home, two years ago I started using an electric desk and spend half my time standing up and half sitting on a stool (yes, I said that) that forces me to keep my back straight. No more back pain :P

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2019, 12:07 pm

BenderRodriguez wrote:
half sitting on a stool (yes, I said that) that forces me to keep my back straight

Do you mean some kind of special stool, or just something generic?

There Are Four Lights!

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2019, 12:08 pm

BTDT wrote:
I still like my Aeron. It is holding up well.

I probably should have bought one two or three years ago. Out of my price range now, I fear. :(

There Are Four Lights!

BenderRodriguez
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2019, 12:12 pm

Darmok wrote:
BenderRodriguez wrote:
half sitting on a stool (yes, I said that) that forces me to keep my back straight

Any low stool - like a piano one. I use an adjustable one (too tall for regular ones) with wheels, something like this:

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2019, 1:14 pm

BenderRodriguez wrote:
Darmok wrote:
BenderRodriguez wrote:

Any low stool - like a piano one. I use an adjustable one (too tall for regular ones) with wheels, something like this:

Hmm, a piano bench might actually be good for some work. I hate "bucket seats" and always prefer a flat padded surface if possible. I bet the padding in the cheap ones goes flat in about a week though.

There Are Four Lights!