Really good job. Can't hold on much longer

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

TakeOver
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

23 Jan 2017, 4:41 pm

So I've got a job now. A really good one. $68/hr.
I've had contracts off and on for years now. only one of them lasted a year though. Really, I don't know how I got this job. My resume history is horrible. Prior to this job I was doing $66/hr, but then I had a devastating 7 month gap while having a baby.

I really started to try hard when I started this job, but I laxed up when we started focusing on non-reusable skills; skills involved with learning a companies home-grown software framework instead of a reusable skill like AngularJS. We were told that we'd be programming in pure javascript and PHP but so fare we haven't touched a single file of code. It's been a month. All the repairs we have to make are all done in this program they built for themselves.
I'm really trying to keep this job.

My comprehension level is at an all time low as well. I can't read anything and comprehend it anymore. There are so many acronyms and phrases it's hard to keep up. On top of that people make a lot of grammatical mistakes.
If I stop smoking every day, should this help? I know that sounds funny, but right now it just seems impossible.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2017, 5:34 pm

Have you seen The Devil Wears Prada?
The premise being that if she hangs on and lasts and entire year--she can get the job she really wants?

Maybe you need to turn all those acronyms into pictures on a whiteboard to help you remember?

docfox
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

24 Jan 2017, 5:12 am

Maybe I'm being pessimistic - but have you considered these are all indications that this particular job isn't for you?

Sure, the pay is good - really good - I wish I was making $21/hour let alone $60+ - but if you have a hard time keeping up, you're not enjoying yourself, and it's going to degrade your skills over time - why not look elsewhere?

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2017, 11:41 am

I think you SHOULD try to hold on a little bit longer.

Many years ago I was the manager of a technical publications department. May not seem closely related to programming, but it kinda was. I had a temporary web programming position that I rotated with different programmers that I either borrowed or temp hired. I had to take many programming classes myself in order to understand how to do my job. I also had to work closely with the "difficult" programmers on the more advanced writing jobs.

Most low level programmers are actually just winging it. Some people aren't and truly know what's going on all of the time, but a lot of them do not. Part of the job is looking like you know what's going on and stalling until you figure it out.

You should keep a notebook with "cliffs notes" for yourself. Put the acronyms in there and a blueprint of how this in-house system works. Once you find out how a piece of it works, write it down- you'll figure out how more of it fits in later. Something my husband said recently may also help you- many problems are solved by simply going to the problem and looking at it. Look at the piece of code or look at the end program in person. You may see the problem with your naked eyes. A lot of people wait for someone else to explain it and that explanation may never happen.

People who hang in there can reach very powerful, satisfying positions. The answer is not always leaving. At the very least, you can gain useful experience here. The longer you stay the more you will learn.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2017, 11:44 am

You could also do hobby projects on your own time to make sure you don't fall into bad habits or lose your edge when it comes to keeping up with the latest technology.

underwater
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2017, 3:23 pm

There is one good thing about learning to use something nobody is using: if you get really good at it you may become the person they can't afford to lose; someone who is not easily replaceable.

Homer_Bob
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2017, 12:58 pm

You're making 68 dollars an hour at 21? Damn..... If I made that much at that age, I'd work in a sewer office for that dough. On a more serious note, I would say hold on to that job until you can find a job of equal value which I would imagine would be difficult. You got something really good going and are way ahead of the curve , make the most of it.

"The less I know about other people's affairs, the happier I am. I'm not interested in caring about people. I once worked with a guy for three years and never learned his name. The best friend I ever had. We still never talk sometimes."

VIDEODROME
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2017, 1:16 pm

I think if I was in this situation, I would have a hard time understanding why it was necessary to use an necessarily complicated proprietary Framework instead of standard tools. It's like creating an extra layer of complexity for no apparent reason except they just like the idea of their own unique In-House system.

It's weird because I'm interested in programming myself, yet I hear there is this glut of Web Frameworks which makes me think I want to avoid anything to do with Web Development in programming.

AngryAngryAngry
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Feb 2017, 4:46 pm

underwater wrote:
There is one good thing about learning to use something nobody is using: if you get really good at it you may become the person they can't afford to lose; someone who is not easily replaceable.

I think you might be so highly valued becaue you are the only ones that can actually get your head around all those acronyms etc.
Hang in there, do not stress too much. You're probably doing far better than you imagine.
Take it slow, you've learnt loads. Perhaps take a few notes on some pesky acronyms that are useful, that would be handy to memorise, and study at home. Then when you come back to work, it could make your work that tiny bit easier. Gradually over a month that 2-20% speed difference between yourself and your co-workers will make you seem like a master, and the employers will see you as invaluable to their organisation (you will be the person that other employees ask for advice).

It might seem silly, even if, you still understand nothing, and feel as if you are making no progress.
And perhaps the whole entire company goes under. Once you have become valued employee - get a reference letter.
Next job, will seem like a breeze compared to this, and you'll have personal experience of 'the worst, most mind puzzling job ever' nothing to do with real experience on your CV. Any other job will not be as difficult as this, and if you get one that is close, you'll be well versed and be able to handle it.
You won't get stressed, you'll have a set up for becoming 'the expert' and 'most valued employee' and perhaps this new job is one that has some substance, its a product you believe in and has real potential.

Right now you're suffering, its a difficult situation, go easy on yourself and safe some of that money.
You are essentially being paid to learn, it's a highly paid training experience.

Chichikov
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2017, 7:37 am

It's not that unusual for these jobs to take a while to get started. A month is a long time but I've often had jobs where I've done nothing for the first two weeks. Some jobs you're working from day 1, it all depends. If it still hasn't started after a few weeks I guess you need to decide if you want to stay or would prefer somewhere where you're actually working. People might think a job where you're paid to do nothing is great, but it sure gets boring and I'd rather spend my time being productive.

Surf Rider
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

05 Feb 2017, 1:22 am

Are they going to fire you if you can't keep up? Even if they are, if you can hold on for even three more weeks, that's like an extra $8.5k, assuming you're working full-time. If you can get a similar amount somewhere else, then yeah, you can leave. But if not, and if I was afraid they'd fire me, I'd stick around for a few weeks and collect the cash.