Page 3 of 3 [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2017, 6:04 pm

So we have moved back to early Cold War era (1953) levels of tensions? Little worse actually. According to that time line provided by Catlover.

Actually thats probably a fair assessment. We are descending into Cold War II. That combined with other tensions that didnt even exist during the original Cold War.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2017, 6:25 pm

Judging from the statements in the press release, which came before the inauguration, we are now in fact at 2 minutes. They simply moved it halfway because they weren't sure if Trump would do what he said. He has.

the_phoenix
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2017, 6:35 pm

Good post, sonicallysensitive! 8)

The only part I would change would be to remove the final paragraph.
Quoting Camus is a nice touch ...
that said,
(venturing yet again into the realm of Star Trek)
it is my hope that the OP, shyteddy, will
live long and prosper.

Am pretty sure you feel the same,
but I just felt like posting it anyway.

Anyways, thanks again!

shyteddy
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Feb 2017, 6:51 pm

sonicallysensitive wrote:
Shyteddy - since you're feeling out of sorts about this whole thread, I'll give what you ask i.e. replies to the points you made in the original post.

Woah..... I'm not quite sure what to say to all that.

You remind me a bit of the Biblical account of the Roman soldiers that dressed Jesus of Nazareth in a purple robe with a crown of thorns, beat him unmercifully, and spat on him while shouting If you're really the son of God save yourself! I presume because they didn't like his message of peace and salvation... Still he didn't hate them at all, even though it was in his power to do so, and asked Forgive them Father, they don't know what they're doing

You, like they, seem to have radically misinterpreted the point of my message, taken my words way too literally instead of looking at the message as a whole, and expressed your dissent with sardonic comments and outright hatred, even including the subtle suggestion I commit suicide (well, to be fair, you said "not existing" and "you go first" but the gist of it was that I'm sure) because I committed the heinous crime of suggesting that people join with me in fighting to make the world a better and kinder place for all of us to live primarily, and also taking steps to help reverse the worrying trends of climate change, pollution, and unsustainable consumption... Was such a suggestion was worthy of such scorn? If I had given the same speech from a pulpit or a soapbox would you have the gall to respond with the same cynicism in person?

Still, I don't hate you. I would treat lovingly if I ever met you in person, even if you said the same thing. Hopefully that thing that's crawled up your ass decides to crawl out some day and you resolve to join my cause, and help make the world a better place with me :) Maybe you and the_phoenix can try a snickers bar too, you're not you when you're hungry

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2017, 7:06 pm

I would shake ShyTeddy's hand in the street. Why not?

He did no harm.

sonicallysensitive
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Feb 2017, 7:14 pm

Shyteddy - you seem to be avoiding absolutely everything I wrote. And, as with others who have replied, simply saying 'you're missing my point' would appear to be obfuscation on your behalf.

shyteddy wrote:
Woah..... I'm not quite sure what to say to all that.
Responding to each point made would be a good start?

shyteddy wrote:
You, like they, seem to have radically misinterpreted the point of my message, taken my words way too literally instead of looking at the message as a whole, and expressed your dissent with sardonic comments and outright hatred,
If I've misinterpreted, let me know specifically where.

I looked at your message as a whole. In short: it is typically grandiose, yet lacking in clarity of detail. I'm trying to find out the specifics of your ideas, as presently they appear to be nothing more than ideals.

How this is dissent is beyond me. Consider the time I took to reply to you.

shyteddy wrote:
even including the subtle suggestion I commit suicide (well, to be fair, you said "not existing" and "you go first" but the gist of it was that I'm sure)
...And it is you who completely misunderstands me.

I assumed you'd have realised I was suggesting that if we are talking about 'ultimate problems', perhaps the most important issue is the value of life itself - and if it has any value.

If I wanted to suggest you kill yourself, I'd simply tell you to bugger off and kill yourself.

Your misunderstanding of what I wrote is total.

shyteddy wrote:
If I had given the same speech from a pulpit or a soapbox would you have the gall to respond with the same cynicism in person?
Completely and absolutely.

But I didn't reply with cynicism and scorn. I replied with very valid points - none of which you have addressed.

shyteddy wrote:
and you resolve to join my cause
I'm still completely at a loss as to exactly what your cause is.

Please let us know instead of avoiding specifics.

It is good form to be respectful when someone takes the time to think through the points you've made.

the_phoenix
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2017, 7:17 pm

shyteddy wrote:
Maybe you and the_phoenix can try a snickers bar too,...

I stand by what I said in my previous post.
May you live long and prosper.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2017, 7:20 pm

I like Mounds. I don't care for Snickers.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2017, 7:23 pm

If Trump really goes off the deep end and in a fit of anger starts to push in the codes to start a nuclear war there is nothing you and me can do about it. Our salvation will up to the people tasked with carrying out these orders to refuse them.

I think the current progressive strategy to resist at every turn in order to make Trump completely melt down so he gets impeached or so we have 4 years of meltdown for the purpose of ruining the reputation of the republican party, conservative and populist movements for the foreseeable actually increases the chances of nuclear war. You see a guy raving in the street in order to get rid of him would you continuously block his way and poke him with a stick?

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

the_phoenix
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2017, 7:24 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:

I know I'm leaving myself wide open,
but I like Almond Joy ... :D

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2017, 7:30 pm

Remember that commercial: Almond Joy got nuts....Mounds don't?

One thing: I'm probably more of a nut than you :wink:

adifferentname
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2017, 7:35 pm

the_phoenix wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

Don't make me turn the hose on you both.

the_phoenix
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2017, 7:49 pm

adifferentname wrote:
the_phoenix wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

Don't make me turn the hose on you both.

All's I ask for is a head start consisting of 2.5 minutes before you lower the doom, er, boom ... :)

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2017, 7:58 pm

Way too long!

You'd be in some catty-corner or something---and I wouldn't be able to find you!

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2017, 10:19 pm

There's nothing we can do. No hope at all. The human race is full of idiots, every time they try to "fix" the world, it just gets worse. They deny everything and hide their heads up their rear ends. All we can do is get some cyanide so we won't have to suffer the horrors of radiation poisoning which terrifies me and makes me afraid to sleep at night. Who wants to live in a world with nukes, anyway?

I used to hear all life was precious, but it looks like the value has plummeted lately. It's only lives that are young, wealthy, physically attractive by Hollywood standards, disability-free and can eat waffles that aren't gluten-free (seriously) that matter now, everyone else is just going to be left to die horribly.