Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

leozelig
Toucan
Toucan

07 Feb 2017, 6:07 am

I have walked and moved slowly for about 8 years now. I used to have a much harder time with fear of falling down and doctors couldn't understand why. I discovered when I went to an occupational therapist who would ask me to sit in a swing and she would gently push me on it, that it might have do something with vestibular senses. So I think that I might be having some sensory processing issues which seem to have become a lot worse as an adult, more sensitive.

When I was a kid I could go on wild amusement rides over and over, but now just looking up at one is dizzying and hard- let alone ride it. Apparently she said a person's system could switch over from underresponsive to overresponsive. That made sense to me and I think a long, deep untreated depression caused that.

Has anyone had any experience with switching over and being at the opposite end of sensory issues?

My husband has it for a few days when he is stressed out but I had a lot of difficulty for years and no one had any clue what the hell was going on with me!! Doctors are so useless.

She taught me that without a sensory diet, I would have trouble which is why noise sensitivity is worse (and really pisses me off) when I don't go out for a while. I don't remember being like that when I was a little kid but I do remember flipping out over loud noises as a teenager. Walking definitely does help me to get grounded.

I'm really wondering if anyone else relates to this or understands any of this because nobody else does so I can't really talk about it with anyone but these symptoms have totally changed my life.

dossa
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2017, 9:38 am

Hi hi. I definitely have sensory processing issues that got worse as I got older. I know, for myself, I had a major burnout episode and that kinda took things that used to bother me (but I could plow through them... even when it stressed me) and dialed them up to a place where I could barely function. It got so bad at one point that I did not leave the house for about nine months. Even things like overhead lights in a grocery store were enough to make me shut down. I have gotten better about a lot of that stuff... though it is likely due to better self care and not actual reduction of sensory issues... I mean, that stuff is still a problem, but I have a better handle on pacing myself properly and employing coping strategies and all that. It has been a long time since that episode... maybe ten years or so. It took me several years to get a handle on that crap and I still fail miserably a lot of the times. Fun fun yay.

I also found recently that some of the things that once would drive me nuts with my sensory stuff has seemed to flip flop on me. It was kind of a gradual thing over a few months. Like I used to not like tight/compression type clothing, but now I cannot stand loose fitting stuff and need the snugness of what I wear or I get all out squirrley and all my other stuff gets amplified. It's weird and I don't know what's up with that, but it is what it is and I guess I'm just gonna roll with it. *shrugs*

Sorry you have this going on. To say it is hard to adjust your life to accommodate this kinda thing is an understatement. I feel you with the noise thing as well. When my sensory stuff first went all out on me, I stayed in the house for about nine months and bloody hell was it awful to try to force myself to get back out into all the lights, sounds, smells, motion, holy chaos batman. Uggghhhh. But yeah, it's always harder to get back out once you get to holing up in the house for awhile. I understand that completely.