What's the point when there's usually people better than you

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

ja795
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

10 Feb 2017, 10:46 am

The way I look at dating is there are almost always people better than you, whether it's looks or personality or both. I have to admit if there were rankings for looks or personality I would be near the bottom. I feel like I will never get a girlfriend because of this, or at least if I did I would probably be left or cheated on because someone better came along. That being said, what is the point in trying to get a girlfriend or even caring about getting one?

I'm sorry this is very negative, but my understanding when it comes to dating or even inter-gender-friendships is that women will completely lost interest in a friendship or relationship with me when they find someone with a better appearance or personality even if I originally had a slight chance to be in a friendship or relationship with them when they met me. Please can someone help me, I actually think this is how women are and it is making me really annoyed and bitter all the time, and I want it to stop, please can someone assure me that what I just said is not the case so that I change my mind and start to feel better about things? This attitude does not feel healthy, but I can't change if no one helps me by convincing me otherwise.

Last edited by ja795 on 10 Feb 2017, 1:38 pm, edited 9 times in total.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2017, 10:48 am

Everyone has issues, even the girl that Prince Harry is dating. Her brother just apologized for his bad behavior on public TV!

SteveSnow
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Feb 2017, 11:46 am

That's not a good way to look at it. I'm not exactly Prince Charming but when I'm dating someone it means that I am the best fit for them and they are the best fit for me. Your partner will probably have the same thoughts, I could be better looking or I could be funnier or whatever. This is why we dress nicely and women (or some men to be fair) put on makeup, to look our best for the people we like. Don't worry about people that you think are better than you, you might have that certain something that is perfect for someone else.

Homer_Bob
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2017, 12:42 pm

You're a half glass empty kind of guy. While there are hundreds of people better than you, there are hundreds below you that absolutely suck. There's always someone worse. It's kind of like how some people may b***h about their low-wage retail jobs while thousands upon thousands of people work in 12 cents an hour sweatshops.

"The less I know about other people's affairs, the happier I am. I'm not interested in caring about people. I once worked with a guy for three years and never learned his name. The best friend I ever had. We still never talk sometimes."

Alliekit
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2017, 1:36 pm

The thing is that better isn't always better. I always fear my fiance will find someone prettier or someone better but I know he loves me for all my bad points which others don't have :D and it's the same for me, I don't care if another guy is more handsome, richer or more charming they don't have the quirks my guy has :D :D

ja795

10 Feb 2017, 2:22 pm

Thank you for the replies. Just to clarify I can handle people being better than me, I just can't deal with the idea that this prevents me from getting a girlfriend or inter-gender-friendship. The replies have helped me stop having this idea though. I suppose I have hope after all, even if it is very bleak lol :lol:

HouseOfMadpeak
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Feb 2017, 5:46 pm

Personality can be changed. So can appearance. If you don't have the best genetics, you can focus on other things, like style, health, and interests. If you enjoy things and have fun, then that will attract people. Someone who is truly having a good time looks interesting, right? Having a nice style doesn't have to be expensive either.

If you are not a terrible person, not abusive, or harm/use people, then you are definitely not the worst.

It can feel frustrating, but it isn't hopeless. Being better, or worse than you depends on different things, and different people's preferences. Not everyone popular is genetically blessed. Do whatever is in your means to improve yourself. Physically and mentally.

Negativity is not attractive, I know from experience. It is best to find interesting hobbies, and find ways to meet people who also like those hobbies. But if your negativity is due to a depressive disorder, it is better to seek help before looking for love.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2017, 5:52 pm

Some women feel that way too, that many other women are better than them.

It's pretty common actually.

Some might even think you're too good for them.

So it's not only you.

ja795

10 Feb 2017, 5:55 pm

HouseOfMadpeak wrote:
Personality can be changed. So can appearance. If you don't have the best genetics, you can focus on other things, like style, health, and interests. If you enjoy things and have fun, then that will attract people. Someone who is truly having a good time looks interesting, right? Having a nice style doesn't have to be expensive either.

If you are not a terrible person, not abusive, or harm/use people, then you are definitely not the worst.

It can feel frustrating, but it isn't hopeless. Being better, or worse than you depends on different things, and different people's preferences. Not everyone popular is genetically blessed. Do whatever is in your means to improve yourself. Physically and mentally.

Negativity is not attractive, I know from experience. It is best to find interesting hobbies, and find ways to meet people who also like those hobbies. But if your negativity is due to a depressive disorder, it is better to seek help before looking for love.

Thank you for you advice, this guidance should be very useful. :)

ja795

10 Feb 2017, 6:02 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Some women feel that way too, that many other women are better than them.

It's pretty common actually.

Some might even think you're too good for them.

So it's not only you.

Yes I suppose you are right, it helps knowing it is not just me, thank you.

Bataar
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2017, 12:48 pm

I've thought about this too and it seems like a catch 22. If a woman has so much going wrong for her in her life that I'm the best guy she can date, would she be someone I'd want to date?

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2017, 9:11 pm

Bataar wrote:
I've thought about this too and it seems like a catch 22. If a woman has so much going wrong for her in her life that I'm the best guy she can date, would she be someone I'd want to date?

Different people experience life and perceive things in different ways. Someone dating you will probably see more positive things about you than you do about yourself because they have an entirely different vantage point, literally and figuratively.

Case in point, one of my friends has an excellent voice and I believe he has a promising career in music. He disagrees with me.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

02 Mar 2017, 7:16 pm

There will ALWAYS be someone better than you & someone better for you but at some point you have to settle for the person you can actually get now. Otherwise you'll waste your life trying to get the perfect person.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition