20Mil given to MIT for Autism Research

Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2017, 3:57 pm

Boston Herald

Quote:
NIH wouldn’t support this in a million years, some of the things we have planned,” said Bob Desimone, director of Massachusetts Institute of Technology’s McGovern Institute for Brain Research, which will oversee the new center.

“We’re thinking of approaches that would involve gene changes, even in adults,” he said. “It’s kind of far out there, but if anybody is going to try it, we are.”

Philadelphia Inquirer

Quote:
Yang said Thursday that she was impressed by the degree to which brain researchers at MIT collaborate among themselves and with others in the Boston area. She hopes that the new Hock E. Tan and K. Lisa Yang Center for Autism Research will cause scientists to "coalesce" around a "very difficult" disorder that she thinks gets too little support.

"You really can't cure anything unless you do basic science," she said.

A native of Singapore, Yang worked as an investment banker before retiring. Tan, who is originally from Malaysia, is CEO of chip maker Broadcom Ltd. in Southern California.

I found the Boston Herald headline misleading. The researchers did not use the word "cure" the donors did which is important.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman