Being influenced by fictional characters

Page 2 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2017, 12:52 am

Along the lines of Star Trek, I get inspired by Captain Picard. Or character like Jack Reacher, Jason Borne, James Bond, Jack Bower, John Wick or even Neo. Maybe it's just because of my age. But I kind of pretend to be like that person which causes me to be a little more productive a little more diligent a little more disciplined. Any character who has those qualities. I don't mean role playing, like taking on the personality or story line. Just the dynamics to a degree.

Side note: why do all the characters I thought of have names that start with the letter J?

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2017, 1:01 am

Redxk wrote:
EzraS wrote:
I find that if I even watch clips of a movie or tv show that depict a very capable proactive character, it motivates me to operate better. Anyone else get inspired this way?

No, because they aren't real. But you are a real person, Ezra, and I have been inspired by your posts on quite a few occasions. :thumleft:

Thanks! :flower:

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2017, 7:45 am

EzraS wrote:
Along the lines of Star Trek, I get inspired by Captain Picard. Or character like Jack Reacher, Jason Borne, James Bond, Jack Bower, John Wick or even Neo. Maybe it's just because of my age. But I kind of pretend to be like that person which causes me to be a little more productive a little more diligent a little more disciplined. Any character who has those qualities. I don't mean role playing, like taking on the personality or story line. Just the dynamics to a degree.

Side note: why do all the characters I thought of have names that start with the letter J?

All the characters you mentioned are alpha males and on a moral crusade so it is understandable that you like the qualities you see and want to emulate them.

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

TheSilentOne
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2017, 12:32 pm

Clara from Doctor Who is the one motivating me to do better in school and actually inspired me to take English classes, as she is an English teacher. I try to emulate her and some of the other DW characters. I want to be as confident and brave as they are.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2017, 2:01 pm

Back when I was trying to be a better person, I did use characters to better myself by watching their moves and how they respond and I only watched good characters, not the villains. The villains taught me how not to act. They did motivate me to be a better person so I have better respect and people like me and not reject me anymore and they leave me alone and quit treating me differently. That didn't work but it did help with my self esteem. My mom hated that I used a character as my role model because she wasn't real.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.