Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 May 2008
Gender: Female
Posts: 3,638
Location: Florida

18 Feb 2017, 9:53 pm

Some of US Don't want to Git Gud! and constantly losing! Does NOT make a game fun!! !! !! ! I go into a SRPG (it was my fault made the wrong "chess move" such as Fire Emblem or Mario jumped wrong missed the platform whoops!

But an action game I want to WIN SUCCEED! BLOW AWAY THE ENEMY!

Not constantly die! To me that doesn't make a game fun!

Monster Hunter FFXV "git gud" No, more like lost a fan not playing that game/series anymore! Repetition on an enemy IS NOT FUN!

FFXV "Recommended level 6) Ok fine SYNCH! I'm lv. 14 PLEASE! IT DROPS LEVEL 16 ENEMIES THAT KILL ME IN 2 HITS ON A RECOMMEND LV. 6 MISSION COME ON! Who can beat that at LEVEL 6!



Misery
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Aug 2011
Age: 37
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,217

18 Feb 2017, 11:09 pm

I sense frustration.

Joking aside though, it does get old to hear that, doesnt it.

The dumbest sort though is when someone tells you that when you're ALREADY WINNING. I've gotten that from people before, since I totally ignore the meta in most games and will bloody well just do them MY way, and usually, I'll do quite well.

But it's not the RIGHT way, OMG, so if "serious" players (including those with much less skill) see it they'll make lots of stupid comments at me.

For the most part, it's best to just avoid many communities for gaming as much as possible. They're.... so very toxic.

People seem to forget that games are supposed to be fun.



mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Dec 2013
Age: 26
Gender: Male
Posts: 6,993
Location: Alberta, Canada

19 Feb 2017, 2:44 am

I hate it too. I like a certain amount of challenge in my games, but some games are just unfair.


_________________
Every day is exactly the same...


Aspiegaming
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 11 Sep 2012
Age: 27
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,367
Location: United States of America

19 Feb 2017, 10:34 am

I post Let's Plays with cheats used in protest of the Git Gud crowd. All they want to do is abolish the cheat code and exclude every novice and amateur from the video game community. My username GodModeHeroes on Vidme makes that perfectly clear.


_________________
I am sick, and in so being I am the healthy one.


Misery
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Aug 2011
Age: 37
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,217

20 Feb 2017, 7:01 am

Aspiegaming wrote:
I post Let's Plays with cheats used in protest of the Git Gud crowd. All they want to do is abolish the cheat code and exclude every novice and amateur from the video game community. My username GodModeHeroes on Vidme makes that perfectly clear.


It's not even that, really.

Honestly, the true reason is that alot of them are basically bullies. I've dealt with so many of them directly at this point, and EVERY bloody time, they remind me of the jerks I constantly dealt with back in high school.

For the most part they dont ACTUALLY care how or what you do: They just want that feeling of superiority. If they werent getting it through this sort of crap, they'd simply find a different yet equally jerktastic way of doing it.

The only two things you can do that are effective are A: ignore them, or B: defeat them, if a competitive game is involved. I tell ya this: There is NOTHING that the "git gud" crowd hates more than being defeated by someone who ISNT following the "right way to play".

For non competitive games though? Seriously, just ignore them. That's the best advice I could give towards anyone that runs into those jerks. And if you're playing something that's singleplayer it's not like there's anything resembling a need to deal with them anyway.



mistermister
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

Joined: 12 Feb 2017
Age: 30
Gender: Male
Posts: 2

23 Feb 2017, 4:51 pm

I can't fathom how you can play a game withouth the "gid gud" attitude. I see it as a challenge to overcome, instead of just blasting through the enemies. If I want a story with having 0 resistance I read a book or watch a movie.



Misery
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Aug 2011
Age: 37
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,217

23 Feb 2017, 9:08 pm

mistermister wrote:
I can't fathom how you can play a game withouth the "gid gud" attitude. I see it as a challenge to overcome, instead of just blasting through the enemies. If I want a story with having 0 resistance I read a book or watch a movie.


Well, some gamers are like that: You either play the "right" way, or you must be a total noob, so to speak. That the "right" way may not be the ONLY way almost never occurs to them.

What's kinda sad about it... at least, sad by my view... is that almost always, the "git gud" players DID NOT figure out their tactics and such on their own: They just looked on the internet, read guides, and basically followed whatever the herd was doing. Like in fighting games, if some high-level player (who is almost always in Japan, because apparently you MUST be based there to be seen as effective) is doing well at a tournament, half of the freaking community will just directly copy that guy. Like, REALLY directly.

What they never realize is that copied tactics tend to get very sterile very quickly. Players like this, the "git gud" crowd, are usually TERRIBLE.... I mean, REALLY freaking bad.... at adapting to new situations. Because they never learned for themselves, they simply use direct mimicry to get through situations. NONE of them ever realize it. Even when they're losing badly because of it (instead, they just get enraged, and cant understand why their "perfect" tactics arent working. ).

This sort of thing doesnt just happen in competitive games of course, it can happen in any game that requires a decent amount of skill/knowledge.

I remember one time... many years ago... I was at a convention, and they did a tournament there for Guilty Gear X2. This one opponent used a character who was considered utterly broken at the time, capable of a totally unblockable, unstoppable assault. Once that character had you cornered, there was supposedly no way out; it was over for you, because he was capable of doing a high and low attack at the exact same time, which supposedly was totally unstoppable. It was a tactic that was well known, and of course this guy used it in EXACTLY the same way that everyone else did. Well, about 30 seconds into the match, I figured out a way to block the attack and break the assault. From there on, it no longer worked on me. If he tried it, I'd simply defend, and then retaliate heavily. But the guy had only ever heard about that one way to use the character, because that was supposedly the only way needed, and he'd clearly gotten his strategies by just doing the "right" method, copied from others. So he was nearly incapable of adapting, he didnt try anything new (as I expected). He simply kept doing it, and it kept not working... the win was mine. The guy was getting more and more angry as this went on and accused me of cheating (nope). When in reality, I'd simply adapted and figured it out on my own, which was how I learned the game as a whole, so I was used to doing that.

And that's often how it goes in all sorts of games. If they need to adapt, they often cant. They're too stuck in playing the "right" way. And stuck in telling others that they, too, must play that way, or they are noobs (sigh). Heck, you should see the Dark Souls community. Nasty group, that. That game is FULL of "git gud". And also full of players that almost seem unable to think for themselves.

Honestly, like what you said, I've never seen the appeal of doing it this way. Oh, I might read the occaisional guide or two for certain complicated games, but that's usually to get an understanding of all the mechanics and things (in the case of something like Isaac for example, I look at the game's wiki when I want to understand exactly what a specific item does, since the game doesnt explain them very well). From there though I'll always do my own thing and use that knowledge in my own way.

And that seems like part of the fun. I dont get how just copying others can at all be satisfying. Isnt it better to know that you defeated a difficult situation under your own power?



SonicMisaki
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 24 Sep 2009
Age: 24
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,845
Location: Modern Chemical Plant, on the run.

12 Mar 2017, 1:32 pm

Playing games properly, as far as I can see, revolves around adapting and trying a variety of things. If there really IS one right way, sure, but then that "truly right way to play" slowly gets all boring and sterile. Misery raises a good point about that.

As a budding Smash player who has yet to amount to anything in tournaments, I've looked at tons of streamed matches where, no matter what character the winner mains, they really like to do what no one would expect. Take this tournament set, for example, where RayKalm - one of the best Smash 4 Ganondorf mains in the world - faces someone playing with the mid-high-tier Toon Link and wins 2-0. These two characters are currently F-tier and B-tier, respectively.


_________________
Face it, former WP mod TallyMan may has well have been a funposter. :wink:
Come here and rest, my child. You are going to need it for tomorrow's trials.


Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 Jan 2011
Gender: Female
Posts: 30,428
Location: Somewhere in Colorado

12 Mar 2017, 1:38 pm

Aspiegaming wrote:
I post Let's Plays with cheats used in protest of the Git Gud crowd. All they want to do is abolish the cheat code and exclude every novice and amateur from the video game community. My username GodModeHeroes on Vidme makes that perfectly clear.


I think some of those people forget they were noobs/novices/amateurs once as well. I guess I also cannot wrap my head around 'you're new to the game so f**k you' mind set.


_________________
Who started the fire?...well, it certainly wasn't the millenials.


Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 Jan 2011
Gender: Female
Posts: 30,428
Location: Somewhere in Colorado

12 Mar 2017, 1:48 pm

SonicMisaki wrote:
Playing games properly, as far as I can see, revolves around adapting and trying a variety of things. If there really IS one right way, sure, but then that "truly right way to play" slowly gets all boring and sterile. Misery raises a good point about that.

As a budding Smash player who has yet to amount to anything in tournaments, I've looked at tons of streamed matches where, no matter what character the winner mains, they really like to do what no one would expect. Take this tournament set, for example, where RayKalm - one of the best Smash 4 Ganondorf mains in the world - faces someone playing with the mid-high-tier Toon Link and wins 2-0. These two characters are currently F-tier and B-tier, respectively.



I play league of legends, and there are specific roles so there are some standards you should follow depending on the role you get, but aside from that its good to experiment and figure out the best build and way of playing that champion that works for you. So certainly quite a lot of room for different play styles and what not.

Of course there is drama, bitching, trolling, raging and all that stuff which you sorta just have to ignore, if it is really out of line you can report the person which can result in penalties for them. Also sometimes people may criticize your playing a bit harshly or you might feel like the whole team is blaming it on you if your losing the match....but all you can really do is try and figure out what you can do better and work on that. Have to remember its all live people and people can get frustrated so its also good to try not and take it personally if someones bitching or raging but not really anything thats bullying or harrassment, they might just be having a bad day or have had a series of bad matches.

I imagine some of this applies to other multi-player games to obviously for team games people will be a little frustrated if you're doing badly even if you are trying. Another thing I like about league of legends though is they have different modes with varying levels of competitiveness so you can certainly practice different champions and builds under less pressure before going into higher tier modes.


_________________
Who started the fire?...well, it certainly wasn't the millenials.


Lostinthesauce2
Butterfly
Butterfly

Joined: 26 Mar 2017
Age: 27
Gender: Male
Posts: 9
Location: The wilderness of Maine

26 Mar 2017, 3:45 am

you just said git gud and didn't mention dark souls...what?!



Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 25 May 2008
Age: 29
Gender: Male
Posts: 7,069
Location: Brisbane, Australia

27 Mar 2017, 6:53 pm

I do think it is a bit arrogant to see the comment of "Git gud", like someone is saying that being good at a game is so easy that the person does not need to even write the words properly. That the person just needs to learn the master way to play it like all the real players.

But I do recall my time with Dark Souls and say that at a certain point there is nothing else but you to get better. Truthfully I got through most of the way in Dark Souls by what I would say was struggling, I had my favoured attack patterns, and with a good shield I could block attacks for the most part and get into a position to be able to attack back, but then there was Sif. A roadblock of an enemy who could attack fast and wide in front, and although looked vulnerable by even managing to go underneath it, it could quickly jump back and could go into a combo that could break blocks and kill easily with the combo. What eventually changed is that I suddenly realised I had to be good at the game, I had an epiphany that I could read all of the attacks by subtle tells, and by reacting properly I could be much more effective. And after putting that frame of mind into action I beat the enemy the next time.

I do think most games should be able to be played by having fun and with relatively easy to pull of techniques. But some games and certain high level play without a doubt requires an investment of getting good by the player to get a real reward from the game, and it can be as much as getting a different frame of mind and adapting.


_________________
Blast Reality! Burst it into shreds! Vanishment... this world!


mauloch_baal
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

Joined: 24 Sep 2016
Gender: Male
Posts: 60

31 Mar 2017, 11:10 am

Misery wrote:
mistermister wrote:
I can't fathom how you can play a game withouth the "gid gud" attitude. I see it as a challenge to overcome, instead of just blasting through the enemies. If I want a story with having 0 resistance I read a book or watch a movie.


Well, some gamers are like that: You either play the "right" way, or you must be a total noob, so to speak. That the "right" way may not be the ONLY way almost never occurs to them.

What's kinda sad about it... at least, sad by my view... is that almost always, the "git gud" players DID NOT figure out their tactics and such on their own: They just looked on the internet, read guides, and basically followed whatever the herd was doing. Like in fighting games, if some high-level player (who is almost always in Japan, because apparently you MUST be based there to be seen as effective) is doing well at a tournament, half of the freaking community will just directly copy that guy. Like, REALLY directly.

What they never realize is that copied tactics tend to get very sterile very quickly. Players like this, the "git gud" crowd, are usually TERRIBLE.... I mean, REALLY freaking bad.... at adapting to new situations. Because they never learned for themselves, they simply use direct mimicry to get through situations. NONE of them ever realize it. Even when they're losing badly because of it (instead, they just get enraged, and cant understand why their "perfect" tactics arent working. ).

This sort of thing doesnt just happen in competitive games of course, it can happen in any game that requires a decent amount of skill/knowledge.

I remember one time... many years ago... I was at a convention, and they did a tournament there for Guilty Gear X2. This one opponent used a character who was considered utterly broken at the time, capable of a totally unblockable, unstoppable assault. Once that character had you cornered, there was supposedly no way out; it was over for you, because he was capable of doing a high and low attack at the exact same time, which supposedly was totally unstoppable. It was a tactic that was well known, and of course this guy used it in EXACTLY the same way that everyone else did. Well, about 30 seconds into the match, I figured out a way to block the attack and break the assault. From there on, it no longer worked on me. If he tried it, I'd simply defend, and then retaliate heavily. But the guy had only ever heard about that one way to use the character, because that was supposedly the only way needed, and he'd clearly gotten his strategies by just doing the "right" method, copied from others. So he was nearly incapable of adapting, he didnt try anything new (as I expected). He simply kept doing it, and it kept not working... the win was mine. The guy was getting more and more angry as this went on and accused me of cheating (nope). When in reality, I'd simply adapted and figured it out on my own, which was how I learned the game as a whole, so I was used to doing that.

And that's often how it goes in all sorts of games. If they need to adapt, they often cant. They're too stuck in playing the "right" way. And stuck in telling others that they, too, must play that way, or they are noobs (sigh). Heck, you should see the Dark Souls community. Nasty group, that. That game is FULL of "git gud". And also full of players that almost seem unable to think for themselves.

Honestly, like what you said, I've never seen the appeal of doing it this way. Oh, I might read the occaisional guide or two for certain complicated games, but that's usually to get an understanding of all the mechanics and things (in the case of something like Isaac for example, I look at the game's wiki when I want to understand exactly what a specific item does, since the game doesnt explain them very well). From there though I'll always do my own thing and use that knowledge in my own way.

And that seems like part of the fun. I dont get how just copying others can at all be satisfying. Isnt it better to know that you defeated a difficult situation under your own power?


That is ironic him calling you a cheater. What he was doing was essentially cheating or at least exploiting.



Misery
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Aug 2011
Age: 37
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,217

05 Apr 2017, 11:22 pm

mauloch_baal wrote:
That is ironic him calling you a cheater. What he was doing was essentially cheating or at least exploiting.


The sad part though is that the fighting game community doesnt consider stuff like that to be cheating OR exploits. Something like, say, an infinite combo, right? Generally that means that if you connect with the very first hit of the combo in question, you WILL win the round even if your opponent is at full health, because the combo is infinite and doesnt end until your opponent falls. It's a design mistake; combos in fighters ARE NOT supposed to work that way. Your opponent is supposed to fight back throughout the course of a round... that's why it's a fighting game, yeah? But when you use that, they may as well set the controller down and wait it out, because they have no more input. However, whenever something like this shows up, the community just embraces the hell out of it. Despite the fact that something like that is basically just hitting the Win Button, and if your opponent doesnt block that ONE attack properly, they lose. But nope, the community says "well that's the way it is, so it's okay". Which usually translates to "We like to feel really powerful and skilled without actually trying too hard, so we'll say this works and then only use these tactics ever".

Which possibly explains why they flip the hell out if they are then clobbered by someone who ISNT doing that stuff.

Overall it's just a nasty community, really.



SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Apr 2008
Age: 35
Gender: Male
Posts: 6,913
Location: Michigan

07 Apr 2017, 7:44 am

I guess I should be glad that I have no idea what a "git gud crowd" is =)


_________________
he had a lot to say, he had a lot of nothing to say
we'll miss him