Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

Gossip Girl
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Feb 2017, 4:05 pm

I met a girl online a few years ago, and we see each other in person maybe once or twice a year. She is one of my best friends, and sometimes I find it very hard to be apart from her. I don't have many friends, so I often feel that it's unfair that someone I connect with is so far away.

Does anyone else have long distant friendships? How do you feel? Do you wish you were closer to them?

Canary
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2017, 4:28 pm

All of my friendships at this point are long-distance. My high school friends all moved away, and I only met those by chance. Didn't make any in college. I've been trying to meet more people, but I waited too long and now it's hard to find people who both have time for new friendships and who enjoy the activities I do. I think the only people I'm going to find who have time to hang out are other people in my situation, if I manage to find them. They sure don't make it easy (although, I'm not sure I do, either).

We all met in an online game that we still play together, among other games. I'm happy to have them, and we do a lot of things together, laugh, cheer each other up and check in if we know something's wrong, etc. It's been incredible for helping me to open up to people and feel more loved. We use voice chat, text, etc, so it's not entirely lonely. But, I do agree that I wish we were closer. I have my own hobbies to get off the PC once in a while, but I can't take an online friend to a movie, or share something I found at a bakery with them.