Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

laplantain
Toucan
Toucan

06 Jun 2005, 2:35 pm

Oops! I didn't mean to start a new thread on this. I wrote this in response to ilster's question:

Japanese was my first language, and my first thought about what might make it easier for an aspie to SPEAK is that a lot of things are implied. You really don't have to use a lot of pronouns, etc. because the listener infers by the context of the conversation. And the structure is very simple, no complex verb conjugations, etc. I would check with the person who originally told you that, though, because I think that she might have only been talking about speaking, and not the written language. That is also why Chinese wouldn't have been mentioned, even thought many of the written characters are the same.

Feste-Fenris
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2005, 6:59 pm

Very interesting...

Do geeks obsess about Disney and Warner Brothers in Japan?

Y'see... geeks in North America obsess about Japanese animation... so maybe in Japan people obsess about American animation!

I heard that Japanese Anime was originally inspired by Disney and Warner Brothers... in terms of things like exaggerated movements and over-the-top facial designs...

What do you think?

Tom
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2005, 6:19 am

I've heard that American comics have a cult following in Japan, like manga did over here before it got huge.

Tremere
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

07 Jun 2005, 7:47 am

I agree - as a speaking language japanese is easy, I stopped learning japanese as I simply couldn't handle learning new character sets, romanji made things a lot easier for me at times though.

Civet
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2005, 8:58 am

Quote:
my first thought about what might make it easier for an aspie to SPEAK is that a lot of things are implied. You really don't have to use a lot of pronouns, etc. because the listener infers by the context of the conversation.

I may be misunderstanding you, but it seems to me that that would make it more difficult for aspies to understand. I know I have a hard time inferring what another person is talking about unless they are very clear and specific.

laplantain
Toucan
Toucan

07 Jun 2005, 12:22 pm

Yeah, I'm not sure how that would make it easier for an aspie. Maybe it's just easier for them to express themselves when they speak, and not necessarily help in understanding what other people are saying. I really don't know, but that is just what I noticed about the it.

Postperson
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2005, 10:03 pm

I did some Spanish at uni and I thought it was so much better than English for an aspie. It's a simpler language, not so many choices.

English must be one of the worst languages to learn or use (I'm a native English speaker) - so complicated!