Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Lintar
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2017, 11:08 pm

Sigbold wrote:
Now it might be possible that Trump is doing a ploy similar to that of Reagan in order to force other countries to be more serious about nuclear disarmament.

Where did you get this idea from? Reagan wanted overwhelming superiority so that he could launch a successful first strike against the U.S.S.R. Those of us who followed these issues during the 1980's (like me) all know this, it's common knowledge. It seems that Trump now wants to attempt the same thing.

Sigbold
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2017, 8:03 am

androbot01 wrote:
I'm curious as to how you are able to take the suggestion of nuclear primacy out of the phrase: “I am the first one that would like to see ... nobody have nukes, but we’re never going to fall behind any country even if it’s a friendly country, we’re never going to fall behind on nuclear power." Is this some Trumpian logic you are using?

Consider this. Nuclear primacy was something that the US had striven for at least since W. Bush. So one can not state that Trump is the first post-Cold War president from whom one can claim that he wants to restart the nuclear arms race. One can at most say, that in relation to nuclear power (to use Trump his own words) that nothing has changed in comparison with the previous two presidents of America.

And if you had read the Foreign Policy (hardly a pro-Trump publication) article that I linked to in my first post in this tread you would know that nuclear primacy entails ensuring that your enemy in a war can not launch a first strike/'retaliatory attack. Or in other words the end of MAD.

Lintar wrote:
Sigbold wrote:
Now it might be possible that Trump is doing a ploy similar to that of Reagan in order to force other countries to be more serious about nuclear disarmament.

Where did you get this idea from? Reagan wanted overwhelming superiority so that he could launch a successful first strike against the U.S.S.R. Those of us who followed these issues during the 1980's (like me) all know this, it's common knowledge. It seems that Trump now wants to attempt the same thing.

From reading the works of Jack F. Matlock, Jr. Someone who could be considered an insider considering Reagan policies in relation to the USSR.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2017, 11:51 am

Does Austria have nukes?