Heavy stimming as a young adult... should I be worried?

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Sofisol612
Raven
Raven

05 Mar 2017, 8:38 pm

Hi everyone. I have found out I am autistic just 2 months ago, and I had never given my stimming much thought before that. Now, though, I am becoming more and more aware of it. In the past, my parents had sometimes scolded me for rocking back and forth or holding my hair, which I still do, but now I think it's getting worse. When I'm alone I pace a lot, in circles most of the time, and I have found myself jumping without consciously deciding to do so. This is happening to me daily nowadays, and I'm getting worried about it. So far I only do it when I'm alone, and only my brother, whose room is next to mine, has noticed, but since I do it so often and without realizing it I fear that someone will see me. And if that happens, how can I explain myself?

Aside from that, as a woman who had believed herself to be a NT all her life, this almost feels like going mad. Isn't this jumping thing something children do? Aren't we supposed to "outgrow" it when we grow up? Do any of you do something similar?

Autism Quotient: 30
Aspie quiz: 123/200 aspie; 75/200 NT
RAADS: 135

feral botanist
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2017, 9:06 pm

For me stimming is a way of dealing with emotional upset, and how much I stim is directly related to what is going on.

Being a teen is all about emotional confusion.

I stim less now, but I am more aware of it. I seek solitude when I am in that mental state.

I would not worry too much about it.

Redxk
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2017, 9:09 pm

It depends on the extent to which you feel your stims prevent you from achieving your goals and/or potential for functionality. For example, many people with AS manage to stick to less-noticeable, more socially acceptable stims while in public, at work or school, etc. They might, say, flutter their fingers under the table in public and do the rocking or hand flapping at home or around people they are comfortable with. This can be difficult for some people, so being honest and open with others can be helpful. Some people can use a "fidget," a small item to occupy the hands. I carry a small, smooth metal object that I rub between my fingers (it also helps with anxiety).

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2017, 4:29 am

Stimming is a is natural body reaction for autistic people.
http://autism.wikia.com/wiki/Stimming

Bieng that you were recently diagnosed you are probably correct in the opinion that because you are hyper aware of stimming you are probably doing it more. Bieng diagnosed is a major change in one's life and this is stressful. That stress needs to be relieved in some way and the natural way for autistics is stimming.

Maturity often does increase the ability to control natural body functions. What it can not do is eliminate the need to do them. Another words the body has to do what it has to do.

Some stims can be hidden by doing them under a desk, large bag, folder, notebook etc. Another thing you can do is go to a bathroom stall to stim.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Sofisol612
Raven
Raven

06 Mar 2017, 8:18 am

@ASPartOfMe I think you are right. Learning of my diagnosis has left my mind in a state of chaotic excitement and confusion, and I'm still struggling to accept myself. I guess this might explain the intensity of my stimming.

Thank all of you for your answers! I'll try to find more subtle ways to stim in the future. It was easy enough to keep it hidden up to now because in my country we are in our summer holidays, and I didn't have to interact much with anyone outside from my family during these months. However, my next semester at college begins in a week, so I'll have to get it under control because I'm not sure I wish to disclose my diagnosis to everyone.

Autism Quotient: 30
Aspie quiz: 123/200 aspie; 75/200 NT
RAADS: 135