No 4%  4%  [ 4 ]
Sometimes 24%  24%  [ 24 ]
I don't know 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 102

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2017, 4:16 am

Question depends on your interpretation of it and how you feel about yourself. Do you see yourself as being socially awkward because of poor social skills or do you see yourself as not being socially awkward because you have autism which causes you to have poor social skills. Or you have very good social skills for someone on the spectrum so you don't see yourself as socially awkward at all. Or maybe you think you are sometimes because of anxiety or because you are stressed out or you think you are because you sometimes burn out and can't use good social skills.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

mikeman7918
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2017, 4:54 am

According to a few family members my social skills have improved a lot in the last few years but even so my social skills aren't that great, it's really draining to socialize in person (but much less so over the Internet), and I still do things like ramble on and on about an interest and not making eye contact. I'm not always stressed out in social situations but when I am it makes things even worse.

Diagnosed with Asperger's, ADD, and Generalized Anxiety Disorder in 2004.
In denial that it was a problem until early 2016.

Deviant Art

248RPA
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2017, 4:59 am

I think autism causes me to have poor social skills regardless of how rested I am, which makes me socially awkward. I'm also naturally introverted, so perhaps I'd had rather poor social skills if I was NT too. But autism is definetly a big factor.

I can't really imagine, for example, that a socially awkward NT would have an interaction like this:
Guy: Today's my sister's birthday. Say happy birthday.
Me: Happy birthday.
Guy: Say happy birthday to her.
Me: To her.
Guy: Say happy birthday to her when you see her.
Me: When you see her.

Unless they're trying to be funny or annoying.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2017, 6:11 am

I am extremely withdrawn and nonverbal in public.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2017, 8:03 am

It really depends upon my mood, and the particular situation.

I can be quite awkward. And I was much more awkward when I was younger.

I've gotten better through experience, even though I still have some funny/unfunny awkward moments.

SmallBun
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Mar 2017, 9:26 am

Talking to people makes me nervous. I have issues even talking on the phone to people, or ordering food from a drive-thru. My brother used to force me to say what I wanted to order when going through one, or I just didn't eat at all. I'm not trying to sound spoiled, but it would really stress me out. I also can't stand when people see me and instantly want to hug, or if someone pats me on the back it can really hurt. I don't usually comment on it since I don't want to be rude, but augh. I have issues with socializing all the time. I never know when to talk, or what to say, what might offend someone, what's the proper way of responding, ect. Socializing really just drains me and seems more like a chore than anything. :/

I just like being cute and small.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

08 Mar 2017, 9:33 am

To say the least

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2017, 9:48 am

Mostly it depends on my mood.

But most of this 'awkwardness' had little anything to do with poor social skills (not a priority) or exposure to people and situation/outcomes (no anxiety).
So I have no problems initiating a random conversation, but I prefer not to. Though I may not do well about keeping it, since I still screwed at the timings while I might mishear words or forget them. :x

My main problem lies on terms that barely involves pro-social or social at all. More like when it comes to word processing, speech, decisiveness, tone, speed, wording, how it is conveyed, timing, firmness, etc...
Especially the part when things that makes things that are supposedly simple become complicated.
... Even in writing to the point that I regard spoken/written language as inconvenient and limiting. And I've been on the ceiling of this skill for years now. I know a lot, but I have yet to write it in right words, let alone speak it.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2017, 11:25 am

My social awkwardness is both a direct and indirect result autistic poor social skills.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2017, 11:35 am

I have poor social skills and I'm pretty sure that it's autism linked. I don't have a filter sometimes. Sometimes I just say what's on my mind. It's like I leap before I look. I still don't wish to be cured, though. I think that everything about me makes me a colourful person.

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2017, 2:08 pm

Depends on my mood but generally I am just quiet and keep out the way of people. Find it hard to get into flowing conversations and always feel I will end up making it hard work for the other parties and I will be looked at like an oddball.

Not easy as I work in a sales environment and so am generally surrounded by loud confident people. I let them take the stage and am happy to hide in the shadows.

I am off to Spain for work next week for 4 days. Conference with 3000 people, presentations, meetings and forced 'team building'. This will not end well.

Lillikoi
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2017, 2:29 pm

I think I am very awkward, but I think it's just because I don't have a lot of interaction.

It's not that I do things that are awkward, I just... don't know how to behave in a lot of situations. Like, if someone is crying, I wouldn't know what to do. Like, I don't know how to hold a conversation. I think some of it is autism, and some of it is just that I need more practice. :lol:

In real life, I tend to just avoid people and avoid speaking in most situations, so I wouldn't really know how to react if someone talks to me. 8O I've gotten better at speaking within the last two years or so, but there's still many moments where I wouldn't know how to react to what someone does.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2017, 2:30 pm

I don't come across as socially awkward , I think I am a natural introvert but can blend quite well. I have had years of practice of hiding the inner turmoil going on but sometimes it does come to head and I need to escape , I can't remember the amout of times I've pretended to go to the toilet ( bathroom ) just to compose myself. Obviously there are times when I can't escape and I need to fight the urge of freaking out internally.

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2017, 2:32 pm

In a social situation, I feel like another personality takes over for me, with faster response time. Then I spend many hours reviewing what might have happened, and wondering what I've missed. One puzzling event kept recurring to me occasionally for years. A woman who had seen me around her workplace asked if I'd like to go for coffee. I don't drink coffee unless I have to drive all night or something, so I just said "No thanks." Once I had an ESL roommate who always mispronounced certain words, always treating an "e" as silent on the end of a word. Maybe 20 years later I finally understood some of our conversations when I saw that pattern.
I think that my options are limited by gossip. I worked a lot for one local volunteer group, and after I missed one meeting, I was told I could "reapply" next year. They still owe me money. Luckily, I do have one friend I see monthly with whom I can relax and have some laughs.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2017, 2:35 pm

LOL....sometimes I have "awkward exchanges" even on WrongPlanet.

I don't always "get it right."

This_Amoeba
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2017, 2:35 pm

Yes. I've been told I seem robotic when forcing myself to talk to strangers. I don't feel awkward, but I seem to make people uncomfortable.