Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

lazyflower
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Mar 2017, 3:50 pm

Do you have any coping strategies that you use in your daily life, to make things easier or better? If so what are they?

For example physical things like earplugs, etc. but it could also be mental coping strategies.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2017, 4:13 pm

I do research into my "special interest."

I enjoy watching street scenes from other countries on YouTube, for example.

I never thought I would actually SEE Freetown, Sierra Leone. It was very interesting to see what the place is actually like.

liveandrew
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Mar 2017, 2:55 am

* I use whiteboards, notepads and calendars for executive functioning issues.
* I always put things in the same place, for the same reason.
* Thinking before opening my mouth (self-editing) to avoid social faux pas.
* Reading and rereading emails, posts and comments before sending them for the same reason.
* Remembering that just because I have thought of something that I find interesting does not mean that I should tell the rest of the world.
* Fully reading and rereading other people's emails, posts and comments before responding.
* Scripting and making notes before making phone calls or having important discussions.
* Having some time alone every day to avoid meltdowns.
* Watching people and concentrating on what they say and how they say it to try and work out what they actually want.
* Exaggerate facial movements. Using a mirror, I discovered that when I thought I was smiling, I was actually pretty expressionless.
* Try not to be a dick.

Sometimes I'm successful with the above and other times not :)

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 46 of 200

Listener of all things noisy, viewer of all things bloody, writer of all things sh*t.

ArielsSong
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2017, 3:20 am

- I've learned to embrace my special interests. Previously, I'd seen then as addictions and fought against them, but would always end up stressed and struggling as a result. Now, I treat them as intense hobbies and I've come to realise that they are my thing to focus on when the rest of the world gets too much. Far from being a negative, they actually help me to be calmer and better. Others might frown upon the 'obsessive use', but I live an easier life because of them.

- In intense conversations and upsetting situations, I've realised I can hold back a meltdown by using a stress ball, so I carry one of those with me.

- Music pulls me out of shutdowns. Music is incredibly powerful to me. So I will turn to music if I'm struggling.

- I wear sunglasses frequently.

- I have a digital notepaper that I can use if I'm in a shutdown and struggle to communicate verbally.

248RPA
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2017, 5:54 am

I keep a wallet-sized step by step visual guide on how to do certain processes. Like making deposits/ withdrawals from the ATM and how to use the self-checkout at the store.

pasty
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Mar 2017, 11:33 am

I wear earplugs to block out excess sound (almost all sound is what I consider excess). I also always wear a jacket, even when I'm not cold, because it makes me feel safer (not sure why). Wearing a hat or a scarf on my head helps keep me calm too. I use peppermints to help me focus. I keep lots of them in my pockets.

davidmcg
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

15 Mar 2017, 11:49 am

Wear headphones on way to work - Can't stand the noise on the tube...train...bus...
Need alone time when I get home from work...usually playing PC games
Listening to music after a stressful episode
zoning out - clears the head somewhat..altho that just happens without me thinking about it..wonder why

TheSilentOne
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2017, 2:09 pm

I have a lot of things I use, especially at school. I will often pet a stuffed kitten I have (people sometimes stare, but I don't mind). I also like to put lotion that smells like vanilla and lavender on my hands and I wear sunglasses if it gets too bright and headphones with music I like when I find it too loud. I have photos on my phone too that I look at if I am feeling bad to help me relax.

248RPA
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2017, 2:20 pm

I keep my earplugs in a box on a lanyard around my neck so I won't lose them when I take them out. Or I just use headphones.

I also wear a pouch that I can hang on my belt loop to keep some stuff in.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2017, 2:27 pm

I've been able to "compartmentalize" my special interests. I don't have to do something from start to finish. I break things up into little boxes. The first box may be finding all the stuff I need, and putting it all in once place to work on. I might actually put all that stuff in a cardboard box...