'Lucky you are autistic, you can't feel sexual abuse'

Page 3 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Polly
Raven
Raven

18 Mar 2017, 5:28 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
I am not convinced the people involved will be punished. I have posted a number of instances where the community rallies around the person(s) who abused autistic people while the autistic or their family are not believed because the abuser(s) are viewed as good people, while the autistic and their family are viewed as troublemakers who make stuff up. The USA and Australia have a similar frontier past and world view. In the USA, of course, we just elected a president in part BECAUSE he is viewed a bully who will put the troublemakers in their place.

I am not saying this will happen, plenty of communities have rallied around autistics.

horse of course
Butterfly
Butterfly

18 Mar 2017, 7:07 am

I assume part of the reason for not identifying the principal or school is that people would then be able to figure out who the victim is. Perhaps also that the principal could then be subject to vigilante justice.

Growing up, I went to two different schools in New South Wales, don't remember encountering any administrators with attitudes like this but could've just been lucky.

We have a long way to go in Australia but I feel that it's probably not much worse than anywhere else.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2017, 2:52 pm

Polly wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
It might be a coincidence but a substantial majority of articles I have linked to describing abusive treatment of autistics have come out of Australia lately. I am not purposely trying to shame Australia, these type articles for whatever reason has come up when I google "autism"

Do you have any other links you could show me regarding Australia.

Autism cage details emerge as United Nations investigates abuse of children

Quote:
Disturbing new details of a Canberra school placing a 10-year-old boy with autism in a cage have come to light, as the case spearheads an investigation by the United Nations into potential human rights violations of 55 students with disabilities across Australian schools.

Of the 55 Australian children alleging abuse, 93 per cent had been diagnosed with autism and 78 per cent were boys.

The range of human rights violations identified include 19 children being neglected through a lack of any educational plan, being left for long periods unattended, or being placed on reduced attendance.

Twenty students alleged physical assault, including being punched, pulled and kicked.

The use of physical restraints among children was widespread, with 32 reporting being held down with belts or chairs, or being sat on or held down by a member of school staff.

A further 28 students report being detained in unsuitable structures which were referred to as "time out" or "calm rooms". These included spaces such as cupboards, storerooms and disused buildings with windows blacked out and lights turned off.

Families reported an extensive range of injuries resulting from this practice, including bruising, cuts and abrasions and vomiting. Longer-term injuries included severe anxiety, sleep issues, refusal to go to school and in some cases, post-traumatic stress disorder and suicide attempts.

Ms Lee said the most alarming findings of the report were categorised as torture, where nine students reported abuses including being locked up for long periods in extreme temperatures without access to water.

There were also 34 reports of cruel, inhumane and degrading treatment in which students were made to stand in front of the class while being verbally abused; being physically removed from educational settings in front of classmates; or did not have personal-care needs attended to.

While 98 per cent of parents had taken their complaints directly to the school and 58 per cent had escalated that to education departments, parents were overwhelmingly dissatisfied that their concerns had been addressed.

And despite two Senate inquiries last year condemning restrictive practices and educational neglect of students with disabilities, the group has warned that a lack of nationally consistent reporting and data collation on abuse has hampered attempts to guarantee standards of education and care.

Girl to be deported from Australia because she is Autistic - Wrong Planet Thread

The Australian minster reversed his decision after international condemnation

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2017, 2:53 pm

Polly wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
It might be a coincidence but a substantial majority of articles I have linked to describing abusive treatment of autistics have come out of Australia lately. I am not purposely trying to shame Australia, these type articles for whatever reason has come up when I google "autism"

Do you have any other links you could show me regarding Australia.

Autism cage details emerge as United Nations investigates abuse of children

Quote:
Disturbing new details of a Canberra school placing a 10-year-old boy with autism in a cage have come to light, as the case spearheads an investigation by the United Nations into potential human rights violations of 55 students with disabilities across Australian schools.

Of the 55 Australian children alleging abuse, 93 per cent had been diagnosed with autism and 78 per cent were boys.

The range of human rights violations identified include 19 children being neglected through a lack of any educational plan, being left for long periods unattended, or being placed on reduced attendance.

Twenty students alleged physical assault, including being punched, pulled and kicked.

The use of physical restraints among children was widespread, with 32 reporting being held down with belts or chairs, or being sat on or held down by a member of school staff.

A further 28 students report being detained in unsuitable structures which were referred to as "time out" or "calm rooms". These included spaces such as cupboards, storerooms and disused buildings with windows blacked out and lights turned off.

Families reported an extensive range of injuries resulting from this practice, including bruising, cuts and abrasions and vomiting. Longer-term injuries included severe anxiety, sleep issues, refusal to go to school and in some cases, post-traumatic stress disorder and suicide attempts.

Ms Lee said the most alarming findings of the report were categorised as torture, where nine students reported abuses including being locked up for long periods in extreme temperatures without access to water.

There were also 34 reports of cruel, inhumane and degrading treatment in which students were made to stand in front of the class while being verbally abused; being physically removed from educational settings in front of classmates; or did not have personal-care needs attended to.

While 98 per cent of parents had taken their complaints directly to the school and 58 per cent had escalated that to education departments, parents were overwhelmingly dissatisfied that their concerns had been addressed.

And despite two Senate inquiries last year condemning restrictive practices and educational neglect of students with disabilities, the group has warned that a lack of nationally consistent reporting and data collation on abuse has hampered attempts to guarantee standards of education and care.

Girl to be deported from Australia because she is Autistic - Wrong Planet Thread

The Australian minster reversed his decision after international condemnation

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

PatrickJane
Raven
Raven

19 Mar 2017, 7:56 am

That doesn't make all that much sense. That person is either absolutely unintelligent or severely misinformed.