Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2017, 5:35 pm

I'm an Autistic Woman, and Bones Is the Only Character Like Me on TV

Quote:
However, there’s one big difference between us: Bones is never diagnosed on the show, even though she has significant problems with social interactions and displays repetitive or obsessive behaviors—the main characteristics of ASD. In an interview, Hart Hansen, the creator of the show, admitted that he based Bones on a friend with Asperger’s syndrome (which is now diagnosed as ASD). But, according to him, Fox never came out and said this because the broadcast network was hoping the show would appeal to a larger audience. Deschanel has also said that her “character almost has Asperger’s syndrome.”

A few years after Bones became an established show, Hansen said he considered a storyline in which Bones explores the possibility of having Asperger’s syndrome, but this never came to be. It's disappointing. If popular TV shows that portray highly likable characters with autistic traits (like Bones or Sheldon Cooper on The Big Bang Theory) were also willing to diagnose them, they could help destigmatize autism by acknowledging that these characters are on the spectrum.

But even without a diagnosis, Bones is an important role model for women on the spectrum because a lot of people assume that autism, especially on the high end of the spectrum, is a male disorder. The gender ratio is believed to be as high as 10 males for every one female. Because autism is often expressed differently in women than in men, a lot of women go undiagnosed, or, even worse, they are misdiagnosed. According to one study, women are better at masking their autistic traits, especially their difficulty with social communication, compared with men on the spectrum. I unknowingly hid my autism until I got my own ASD diagnosis in my late thirties.

Bones is also an important role model because she's not a one-note character.

My first inkiling that I was probably autistic was that show when I related to her charactor and read she might have Aspergers. I was not ready for it to be more the a curioisity back then but it was a start.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

C2V
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2017, 9:14 am

Eh, it's a double-edged blade. Because characters like Bones only display the cute, quirky, acceptable, mild symptoms of what it is to be autistic. People start to think autism is just some personality trait that makes you a bit eccentric, or a stand-in joke like Sheldon of Big Bang Theory. These characters never show the messy side of autism. They don't show how badly this can affect people's lives, or put them in danger.
In some ways I think it's best these characters aren't absolutely identified with autism, because it may "normalize" that myth - that autism is just a cute, quirky personality trait and nothing else, and like characters like Bones, autism really causes real autistics no significant disadvantage or discomfort.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2017, 9:42 am

There are good reasons I usually have no business whatsoever watching TV but I did watch the Bones finale with a friend. Hadn't seen the show before but did know it existed. And, yes, that she might be autistic immediately struck me.
Paula and I talked about that during ad breaks, she though it is possible Bones early life could lead to similar behaviors.
And with Paula being a retired special ed teacher she's definitely not among the uninformed.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2017, 9:51 am

C2V wrote:
Eh, it's a double-edged blade. Because characters like Bones only display the cute, quirky, acceptable, mild symptoms of what it is to be autistic. People start to think autism is just some personality trait that makes you a bit eccentric, or a stand-in joke like Sheldon of Big Bang Theory. These characters never show the messy side of autism. They don't show how badly this can affect people's lives, or put them in danger.
In some ways I think it's best these characters aren't absolutely identified with autism, because it may "normalize" that myth - that autism is just a cute, quirky personality trait and nothing else, and like characters like Bones, autism really causes real autistics no significant disadvantage or discomfort.

Scorpion specifically identifies their characters as socially awkward geniuses. Yet the characters talk about us and the normals the way NT's are often talked about here. On an episode of Criminal Minds a few years back the character Spencer Ried was working on a case involving an Aspie boy and was describing the traits when his co-worker said "you" meaning she thought he was an Aspie. Later she said she hoped Reid was not offended and he said he was not. As far as I know his "Aspergers" has not been brought up again.

Every autistic character whether they are identified as ASD or not cannot come close to fairly representing Autistics. These are mass entertainment programs, not autism documentaries. That said they might as well identify them because they are being written and talked about as being on the Spectrum anyways. And with the movie "The Accountant", Sesame Street's muppet, and the new Power Rangers movie character the fear of identifying characters as Autistic (and other stigmatized labels) is breaking down.

kitesandtrainsandcats wrote:
There are good reasons I usually have no business whatsoever watching TV but I did watch the Bones finale with a friend. Hadn't seen the show before but did know it existed. And, yes, that she might be autistic immediately struck me.
Paula and I talked about that during ad breaks, she though it is possible Bones early life could lead to similar behaviors.
And with Paula being a retired special ed teacher she's definitely not among the uninformed.

I watched the show a lot the first few seasons then mostly stopped but I did see the finale. She was noticeably more "autistic" a decade ago when the show started out. But it is realistic that she after getting married and having kids she would gain cognitive empathy and social skills. Dr. Zack Addy was more "Aspie" then Bones.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman