Democrats Reach Filibuster To Block Gorsuch Nomination

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2017, 5:14 pm

http://www.cnn.com/2017/04/03/politics/neil-gorsuch-filibuster-senate/

Last edited by AnonymousAnonymous on 03 Apr 2017, 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

feral botanist
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2017, 5:54 pm

Link is dead

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

04 Apr 2017, 12:14 am

just do nuclear option and get it over with

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2017, 1:41 am

Seriously, what's taking so long? #pushthebutton

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2017, 2:11 pm

Nuke the motherf***ers, then watch them cry when Ginsberg, Kennedy, or Bryer drops and they can't do jack about it.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2017, 10:18 pm

time to go on and get it over with

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2017, 10:22 pm

such bitterness.

Dox47 wrote:
Nuke the motherf***ers, then watch them cry when Ginsberg, Kennedy, or Bryer drops and they can't do jack about it.

how could they be unable to do anything about it?

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2017, 10:43 pm

They're not going to be able to filibuster SCOTUS nominees any longer, just a simple majority up down vote. Harry Reid already killed it for everything but SCOTUS nominations but the writing has been on the wall that this was inevitably going to happen because of that.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2017, 2:31 am

Stupid strategy based on revenge by the Dems. They should have "magnanimously" confirmed Gorsuch based on his qualifications. That would just get us back to where we were before Scalia died. If as likely one of the liberal justices croakes that is when the balance of power on the court really changes. That would have been the time to make a stand as they would have had a decent shot to get the few republicans need to block him or her. Now by the time the next vacancy occurs the "nuclear" option will be normal. And if a number of justices die they will all be replaced by movement conservatives.

I do not like to diagnose people never mind groups but sometimes I wonder if the key liberal/progressives political stratagists are masochists or is there a group superiority disorder going on.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2017, 2:55 am

I hope Ginsburg is taking her vitamins faithfully. and has good genes. more anti-worker justices would be disastrous for working class folk struggling to keep their heads above water as it is.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2017, 8:18 am

One thing I've noticed about Supreme Court justices: they tend to become less radical as they serve longer.

Some of the justices in the present-day "liberal wing" were conservatives previously.

Even conservative judges have voted based on justice, rather than political ideology.

I would have confirmed Gorsuch, thereby holding off the "nuclear option."

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2017, 2:55 am

scalia did not mellow one bit. he got even more right wing as he grew older! and the nuclear option is inevitable now or later, the senate has debased itself thoroughly to a bare-knuckled fighting pit.

feral botanist
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2017, 1:21 pm

And just a few years ago, mitch condemed reid for doing this very thing.

I guess the republicans are no better than the democrats.

Lukeda420
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2017, 3:11 pm

Hey, an illegitimate Supreme Court Justice to match our illegitimate President. :|

Lukeda420
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2017, 3:18 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Stupid strategy based on revenge by the Dems. They should have "magnanimously" confirmed Gorsuch based on his qualifications. That would just get us back to where we were before Scalia died. If as likely one of the liberal justices croakes that is when the balance of power on the court really changes. That would have been the time to make a stand as they would have had a decent shot to get the few republicans need to block him or her. Now by the time the next vacancy occurs the "nuclear" option will be normal. And if a number of justices die they will all be replaced by movement conservatives.

I do not like to diagnose people never mind groups but sometimes I wonder if the key liberal/progressives political stratagists are masochists or is there a group superiority disorder going on.

There is no "balance of power" in the supreme court. There is no requirement or even incentive to try to replace a conservative with a only another conservative or a liberal with only another liberal. The President gets to pick anyone regardless of their partisan stripes. Unfortunately Mitch McConnell abdicated his duty and refused to hold a hearing on Obama's pick, Merrick Garland. This is a stolen seat and Gorsuch will always have an asterisk by his name as a result of McConnell's decision to ignore his constitutional duty.

Last edited by Lukeda420 on 06 Apr 2017, 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2017, 4:38 pm

what I would do on his tombstone wouldn't pass for flowers.