Bannon ousted from National Security Council

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

feral botanist
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2017, 12:29 pm

Chief White House strategist Steve Bannon has been removed from the National Security Council, according to a White House official and a Federal Register filing on Wednesday, undoing a move that had directed heavy criticism toward the administration of President Donald Trump.

Bannon, the controversial former head of the alt-right media outlet Breitbart News, was the chief executive of Trump’s presidential campaign. The White House initially defended his presence on the council based on his history as a naval officer, a shield that did little to protect the Trump administration from a bipartisan wave of complaints over a political official serving in a national security role.

Aside from Bannon’s role on the council, critics pointed out the more limited roles played by the director of national intelligence and the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff in the original structure of the group.

Bannon's removal was applauded by Trump's critics, although the move did little to silence those opposed to his White House role.

"I'd be very pleased that he would not be on the National Security Council," Democratic Sen. Ben Cardin told reporters Wednesday. "My hope is that he would have no role in government at all."

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/04/b ... cil-236908

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

05 Apr 2017, 12:37 pm

Misleading title. Bannon left on his own accord and will stay on as Chief Strategist and will keep his security clearance.

Bannon's statement on leaving the NSC, “Susan Rice operationalized the NSC during the last administration. I was put on to ensure that it was de-operationalized. General McMaster has returned the NSC to its proper function."

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2017, 3:05 pm

Quote:
Per a regulatory filing announcing the changes, the reorganization also includes the restoration of the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff and the director of national intelligence as permanent members of the committee. Both permanent positions had been eliminated in January as part of a reorganization of the NSC shortly after Trump first took office.
Bannon has been involved with a group called the Strategic Initiatives Group, which was presented as a kind of internal think tank, while Trump’s son-in-law Jared Kushner is leading an Office of American Innovation described by the Washington Post as a “SWAT team to fix government.”

The move to downgrade Bannon’s role on the NSC could signal that more traditionally-minded forces are beginning to get their way in the White House. The move is an affirmation of the growing influence of National Security Adviser H.R. McMaster, who has also been filling the NSC with more established Republican foreign policy experts, according to the Washington Post.

The Atlantic

feral botanist
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2017, 7:24 am

Jacoby wrote:
Misleading title. Bannon left on his own accord and will stay on as Chief Strategist and will keep his security clearance.

Bannon's statement on leaving the NSC, “Susan Rice operationalized the NSC during the last administration. I was put on to ensure that it was de-operationalized. General McMaster has returned the NSC to its proper function."

Operationalized sounds like made up word to obfuscate the truth.

Why would he leave? That doesnt make sense. "Ive been in one of the most influencial positions in the world for 5 weeks, my job is done, I resign."

Does not make sense at all, people like that dont give up positions of power.