Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

How long are in your house everyday?
Pretty much the whole day everyday. 30%  30%  [ 20 ]
Pretty much the whole day everyday. 30%  30%  [ 20 ]
Half the time. (excluding bedtime of course) 17%  17%  [ 11 ]
Half the time. (excluding bedtime of course) 17%  17%  [ 11 ]
little amount of time. 3%  3%  [ 2 ]
little amount of time. 3%  3%  [ 2 ]
There are many days in a week or month where I am not present at all. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
There are many days in a week or month where I am not present at all. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 66

nocturnalowl
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Jun 2005, 4:25 am

I'm usually in and around the house everyday. I don't go to too many places often. Usually once or twice every 2 weeks.

I don't have license to drive and have yet to go for it, and I also have no bike to ride around town. I do go for an occasional walk around the neighborhood but for some reason I tend to build up anxiety once in a while, during the return home.
Of course my lousy sleeping schedule and hot weather days make it tougher to get out of the house and the one problem I have is lack of motivation from myself and others around me.

This is the frustrating part since along with my AS, is that I have shyness, and social anxiety that overwhelms me. So therefore I feel that I want to avoid interactions even more....

...But I want to interact, I want to try. I picture it in my head so much and at comes out good at times, but it all comes to nil. I become frustrated to a point that I want to yell and show my anger. Not towards others but to the regret that I have on myself. I feel that I may become angrier about this socializing dysfunction and may someday cause self-harm, and I cannot accept that.

What I really want is to know how to get motivation and confidence form myself and others. Without the fear of negative responses towards me and the fear of hurt feelings which I get when I am told I am wrong,. or even told to do something by surprise and with strong enough tone, causing me the regret of thinking wrongly. Getting yelled at also bothers me still and I cannot react to it without showing some kinds of emotions and temper. Fear of error and mistakes and strong-toned talking aimed at me are my challenges in socializing along with AS.

I am sure these things contribute to my social incapabilites and that along with AS keeps me at home alot and away from school, work and socializing.

It's not great and I don't like it.

TB_Samurai
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Jun 2005, 7:29 am

During the summer, I'm at home almost all of the time, except on weekends. But right now, I'm in Florida with my dad. I can't drive, either. I don't want to drive because it's scary to me.

pizzaboss
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2005, 9:38 am

I am home, most of the time in the summer. I can't drive either, which doesn't get me to too many places. I am also scared to drive.

Prometheus
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2005, 9:48 am

If I am not home, I am either working or online at the library.

I do spend a ungodly amount of time at home, but since my current obbession is aspergers, I am spending a terrific amount of time at the library.

spacemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2005, 11:03 am

I can relate to a lot of what you have said. I have a hard time with interactions, I don't take criticism well at all, when it is of the "be more normal" variety. I get very angry about this sort of thing and therefore find it simpler in many cases just to avoid being around people.
I have been blessed with a lot of confidence though, I know ultimately that I have something in me worth nurturing and expressing.

I do drive and find it a great way to escape some times.
I enjoy being out among society, especially in a strange city where no one knows me. It is fun to walk among people and see their interactions, without the pressures of meeting some expectations or running into someone I know. I enjoy meeting strangers that I will never see again, and find this to be helpful in boosting my confidence. I can try different things and my actions will be soon enough forgotten.
One other thing that is sure to boost confidence is exercise. Running is a wonderful stress reliever. When you get to a point where the only thing in the world that has any value is water, then it makes the other stuff seem really trivial. Of course there are the endorphins that produce that runner's high as well. This feeling can last quite a while, and keep you going for a couple of days. I sometimes like to sit and meditate after running, as it becomes easier to focus the mind at that time.

Hope you feel better soon.

Ghosthunter
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2005, 2:56 pm

Housed or not, I hate being couped up!

I find it stifling and way toooooo! ........
Confinnnninnnng!........ I am my best
around other directly or indirectly
connected to them.

Sincerely,
Ghosthunter

lowfreq50
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2005, 4:18 pm

Ghosthunter wrote:
Housed or not, I hate being couped up!

I find it stifling and way toooooo! ........
Confinnnninnnng!........ I am my best
around other directly or indirectly
connected to them.

Sincerely,
Ghosthunter

I'm about half-and-half. I like to be out somewhere for a while, but eventually I start wanting to go home to isolate myself in my room

Ghosthunter
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2005, 5:16 pm

I guess this is a general Autism
Spectrumed thing. By the way
have seen my "Mother" thread
I started today?????

Sincerely,
Ghosthunter

P.S....It will give you ideas about
those connected to me.

nocturnalowl
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Jun 2005, 7:35 pm

One big issue that keeps me home most of the time is that I live in a small town without much going on and it is surrounded by farmlands. The biggest cities are about 40 to 50 miles away and have only a few public transp. trips.

When I was in San Jose, I was able to take public transportation to places like downtown SJ, South San Jose, Santa Clara, Mtn. View, etc. So I was able to spend some time away from home by myself walking around town and enjoying the open air around me.

But there is nothing much around here where I live now, and since it is summer it gets pretty hot down here.

Like some of you, I too get timid behind the wheel and my biggest fear of driving is depth perception, timing and lead foot.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2005, 8:56 pm

I like being home because I am relaxed here and enjoy it.

But I also like to go out, shopping, out for dinner, out with friends. But all in all I love coming home.

Sarcastic_Name
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2005, 10:40 pm

If I'm not at home, I'm probably at work.

nocturnalowl
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Jun 2005, 4:27 am

Well, I don't like being in a home that ends up becoming what George Carlin once said "A place for your stuff" I lived in a older smaller house in San Jose, then moved into a larger home in the Cent. Valley, what happens, We end up getting more stuff to put in the room.

Now we don't have a lot of room in the house anymore, it is sometimes too crunched in at times. Now include that with scratched carpet spots, and the aroma of animal urine. My room is kind of crammed with desk, bed, and dresser along with carpet stains, clawed up carpet chunks, and a very hot room caused by my computer, 90 degree weather and my own body. now I really want to get out of the house. The yard is nice but I am still straightening it and organizing it so at least it gives me something to do. But I left a few burnt patches of grass on the lawn due to ferilizer.

Sanityisoverrated
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2005, 7:56 am

I'm pretty much always at home, because I have nowhere else to go.
If I'm not at home, I'm probably walking up to the local supermarket on a junk food run.

Occasionally I get really fed up of sitting around at home, and go into the city for a day, where I wander around and feel like going home.

Yes, I live a very sad life. :(

vetivert
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2005, 10:26 am

as much as i can be, if i'm not at work (have to pay the mortgage somehow...).

this sort of weather, i'm more likely to be in my garden, though.

Postperson
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2005, 7:01 pm

I like being at home, it's my place! Besides, the 'out of sight is out of mind' thiing seems to come into play, I like to keep out of sight. When I was working yeah, I was out a lot, it was a 10 hour day inclluding travel, plus I was out a couple of nights a week too, but now my life revolves around being home, so I like it. I like gardening (mostly - NOT weeding) so that keeps me busy. I live in a country town now, so there's not lotsa places to go, just beaches and drives, which is what I do when I'm 'out'.