Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2017, 5:19 am

Behind the 'mask': early diagnosis crucial in autistic girls

Quote:
For her birthday, the six-year-old asked for Barbie dolls, and pink, sparkly clothing she'd noticed other girls wearing. But the dolls were left in the drawer, and the clothes went unworn. What was going on?

Their daughter made good eye contact, and she could hold a spirited conversation, says Ella's father, Luke Bibby. But if her routines were disrupted, or circumstances led to sensorial overload, Ella would have a meltdown.

Girls are more adept at camouflaging or "masking" autism than boys, and copying the behaviour of their peers to fit in.

Ella had been pretending to love Barbie dolls because she'd decided that was what society expected from girls

Through sessions with her psychologist, Ella's parents finally realised it was not dolls that fascinated their little girl, but cars and motorsports.

The core symptoms of autism are the same in males and females, but how it manifests is often different, says Professor Nicole Rinehart, from Monash University.

"There's not enough research funding in this area, point blank," Professor Rinehart says. "Most research studies are about boys, we don't have enough concentration on girls"

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Lumi
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2017, 6:16 am

The social copying is something I can't do.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2017, 6:25 am

^ me neither, Lumi. I can't even imagine trying to pretend to like some toys because other girls do at age 6! I liked what I liked and wanted what appealed to me. Same as now.

I'm still glad they realize that at least some girls are presenting it differently than other females and males, so diversity of us is acknowledged. I just hope they also remember that not all females with autism do the social copying thing.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2017, 6:32 am

Lumi wrote:
The social copying is something I can't do.

Social copying is something I won't do at any age. :lol: I guess that's why I got diagnosed.

.. And my long term special interest of crafting doesn't root from any social related factors, it just happened to be socially acceptable.
My other special interest involves the aspie's usual interest like science, technology, and visual arts.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2017, 7:12 am

I don't have as strong a character as the above posters, I guess; I not only pretended to like Barbie, I pretended to be Barbie. What I liked, what I did ... all copied for so many years I lost myself.

Now at 46 years old, I am trying to figure out who I am.

TheSilentOne
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2017, 12:21 pm

"Masking" is something I did a lot when I was younger, but poorly. I tried very hard to be like the other girls my age, but eventually I just gave up. It was exhausting.