Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2017, 6:02 pm

I honestly have mixed feelings about this...I mean I get it, the people wanted to save this poor abandoned child. But at the same time they literally ripped her away from the only family she's really known, which I can't help but find terribly cruel.

Drake
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2017, 6:04 pm

That requires a subscription, so here's another link:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-39525071

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2017, 6:10 pm

Drake wrote:
That requires a subscription, so here's another link:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-39525071

weird it didn't require any such thing for me to look at it, maybe its my browser...now I am curious so I will try it on a different one.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2017, 6:12 pm

In Junior high in the Sixties I read a book with a chapter about alleged feral children raised by wolves, or by other animals. Retold several mind blowing cases, and then went back through each case and soundly debunked each in turn. So I have been a skeptic about tales of human children raised by animals ever since.

Open minded but skeptical.

The book showed how the social structure of animals, even that of the most humanlike of primates, couldnt accomodate a growing human child.

Maybe this is a real life Tarzan, or Jungle book story. Or maybe its not what it seems.

India has monkeys, but not apes. The African apes (Chimps and gorillas) are much more human like than monkeys. But monkeys are more humanlike than wolves. A human infant raised to ten by a troop of monkeys?More believable than than the kid in the jungle books who was raised by wolves. But I dunno. I will await further developments on this story.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2017, 7:19 pm

*yawn* obviously nobody has read Rudyard Kipling's "Jungle Book" published back in 1894 or seen the Disney flick

In India it's been long known that wolves will look after human children. An ironic fact is the modern western world was created when a she wolf decided to nurse maid two baby brother's by the name of Romulus and Remus who would go on to found Rome.

Wolves are social animals and if we can domesticate them then they can also domesticate us...

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2017, 2:13 am

sorry I should say wolves or monkeys

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2017, 4:24 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
I honestly have mixed feelings about this...I mean I get it, the people wanted to save this poor abandoned child. But at the same time they literally ripped her away from the only family she's really known, which I can't help but find terribly cruel.

I know, it is cruel. But seriously, if everything about this story is true, there's only so far that a troop of monkeys could do for a human being growing to adulthood.
Even if the moneys had cared for her for a time, I have to imagine that she had been living among humans by the time she had learned to walk on two legs, as that's something the monkeys could not have conveyed to her.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2017, 5:02 am

cyberdad wrote:
*yawn* obviously nobody has read Rudyard Kipling's "Jungle Book" published back in 1894 or seen the Disney flick

In India it's been long known that wolves will look after human children. An ironic fact is the modern western world was created when a she wolf decided to nurse maid two baby brother's by the name of Romulus and Remus who would go on to found Rome.

Wolves are social animals and if we can domesticate them then they can also domesticate us...

Ive got some beachfront property in Outer Mongolia I can sell you. That, and a good deal on a real flying carpet.

Of course you will haft to go to the FAA. The FAA has a whole office devoted to licensing the pilots of flying carpets, and witches' broomsticks, and thats the same office that Santa Clause goes to to register his sled! :lol:

The Romulus and Remus tale is pure myth. And those Indian accounts are all unproven tall tales. And HELLOOO..earth to Cyberdad.....Kipling's "Jungle Book" didnt even pretend to be anything but a fictional novel.

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2017, 3:31 pm

I think that many of these kids would have developmental difficulties, even if they had never been neglected. The parents may have left them for dead. And, the scientists are studying this from the perspective of what isolation does to a normal, healthy person.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2017, 4:59 pm

friedmacguffins wrote:
I think that many of these kids would have developmental difficulties, even if they had never been neglected. The parents may have left them for dead. And, the scientists are studying this from the perspective of what isolation does to a normal, healthy person.

My Pastor, when he had been a missionary in Nigeria years before, had told how parents used to often leave children with developmental disabilities out in the jungle, reasoning that such children are actually animals, and should be with their own kind. Who knows, maybe someone had seen a lost child with a group of animals at one time, and had come to that conclusion.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2017, 5:31 pm

This took a while to work out. It corresponds in my mind to removing a child from abusive parents. We accept that as a social norm: parents must care for their kids to a minimum standard. She loved the monkeys, without a doubt, but their care did not meet our minimum standard.

Seems plausible enough to me. I disapprove of any standard for evidence which requires a white guy in a white coat for credibility.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2017, 7:34 pm

jrjones9933 wrote:
This took a while to work out. It corresponds in my mind to removing a child from abusive parents. We accept that as a social norm: parents must care for their kids to a minimum standard. She loved the monkeys, without a doubt, but their care did not meet our minimum standard.

Seems plausible enough to me. I disapprove of any standard for evidence which requires a white guy in a white coat for credibility.

She was already emaciated, and covered with scars, when they found her.

And the monkeys cant pay for her tuition to trade school, or to college when she gets older either.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2017, 9:53 pm

I don't think the monkeys meant any harm. I don't think we need to prosecute them, but we couldn't leave a human child in their care.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2017, 10:58 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
My Pastor, when he had been a missionary in Nigeria years before, had told how parents used to often leave children with developmental disabilities out in the jungle, reasoning that such children are actually animals, and should be with their own kind.

Our European ancestors did the exact same thing if the child was seen as defective in any way....survival of the tribe etc..

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2017, 10:19 am

Indian girl may not have been raised by monkeys, new reports suggest

Quote:
But other officials cast doubt on some of those details Saturday. JP Singh, the district chief forestry officer in the Katarniya Ghat area, told the Guardian that the girl was located on a roadside, not in the forest. Sarbajeet Yadav, a police constable who participated in the rescue, told the Hindustan Times that “there were no monkeys around.” What’s more, many cameras in the area — used for both security and animal-tracking purposes — would have detected the girl had she been there, forest department officials said.

But Singh, the forestry officer, told the Guardian that he suspected the girl’s inability to communicate was the result of a disability, not a childhood among apes, and that she had been recently abandoned by relatives who did not want to care for her. Her age is still unknown.

“I think the family members of this girl had been aware that she is not able to speak, and they may have abandoned her near the forest road,” he said. “It is clear from first-time view, if you see the girl, that she is only 8 or 9 years old, but her facial expressions show that she is disabled, not only mentally but also physically.”

The hospital’s chief medical officer, DK Singh, echoed that, and said the girl might also have been cast off because of another perceived handicap: being a girl in a society that prizes boys.

The girl is now walking normally

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman