Strange sound- others can hear it as well though.

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

conanthewarrior
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

10 Apr 2017, 12:04 pm

Hi everyone, I hope you are all OK.

I am writing this here, it is not related to the main forum so I put it here.

I came home around an hour ago, took my jacket and shoes off, and went in my room to watch a show I recorded. As I sat down, I noticed an odd noise- I can only describe it in terms I learnt in my sound engineering/production qualifications, a quiet pulse that I would guess was around 30-40HZ, but then another sound with it that was slower than this, and audible and loud, but the source was hard to locate. It feels like infrasound, which is very low frequency sound.

At first I thought I may of just been hearing things, but I then worried about my electronics as it seemed the sound was behind me (I was sitting at the top of my bed, which is where I watch TV in my room- next to me I have a guitar amplifier, which is all valve, a big cabinet for it, and my guitar on a stand) but as I stood up, the sound seemed to vanish.
After walking around my room, I found the sound was audible only near the pillow end of my bed.

I did think I may of been imagining this, which worried me. I called my Mum into the room, and turned the TV off, and said can you hear this? At first she said no, but when she sat where I did she said "Yes! I can- that is very strange".

The sound is still ongoing, but I have no idea what is causing it. Me and my Mother have searched my room, and the house for the source.

I did worry it was electronics, but my amp was not even plugged in. We are stumped where this sound is coming from, and it is odd that you can only hear it to the back left of my room, which is where the top of my bed is located.

I am baffled, as even with my sound engineering qualifications I can not figure out a cause. I have looked around my local area for roadworks, as I know low frequencies can travel very far, but it is centered right where my head is when I sleep!

If anyone has any ideas what this could be, and how to stop it, I would be very thankful. I will have to sleep in the living room or upstairs otherwise as it is pretty loud when you are in the very small area the sound is in.

SentientPotato
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2017, 12:25 pm

The only thing that comes to mind is that something that's vibrating is touching against the frame of your bed, whether it's something as small as an air pump or something as big as any wall it might be touching.

Kiriae
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2017, 3:24 pm

What is inside the wall behind bed? Maybe electric cables going through it are damaged or something.

Also - it could be the bed is resonating. I could hear my neighbors dog with my pillow because the sound was coming through the wall and resonating in the empty space inside of my bed. After I filled my bed with some pillows I don't hear it anymore.

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2017, 3:28 pm

You aren't by Taos, New Mexico or Kokomo, Indiana by are chance are you?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hum
http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=91912
http://www.livescience.com/43519-taos-hum.html

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2017, 2:29 am

You may have a whispering gallery - an acoustic phenomena that re-focuses distant sound. If so, you might go to your node and shout, asking if anyone hears you. These low frequencies may also be the difference between two higher frequencies as sources, like the beats you hear between unsynchronized twin engines.

conanthewarrior

12 Apr 2017, 5:25 am

Thank you all for your replies.

I have lived in this house for around 21 years, and not heard it before. I am glad to say the noise has now gone, but it lasted until the next day.

I imagine as some of you have said it was something resonating, or even a 'whispering gallery'. It was probably something in the distance causing it, maybe some work was going on a few miles away possibly?

I am familiar with the Taos hum, although I live in the UK, somewhere called Canvey Island in Essex, about 30 minutes away by train from London.

I have experienced a sound before that sounded exactly like clips of sound replicating the actual hum,and my Mum also heard this when I did. It was a very, very unnerving sound, that happened at night. It was actually so strange, and felt 'bad' if that makes any sense, that me and my Mum left our rooms and both slept in the lounge that night. We never heard that exact sound again, but it didn't feel of this world and was pretty scary.