How to social skills book for young autistic adults

Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2017, 2:30 am

For adults with autism, learning social skills – and finding love

Quote:
For most of us it’s a brief, uncomfortable moment that passes. For adults with autism, it’s an enduring part of their lives. That’s the group Elizabeth Laugeson, a UCLA assistant clinical professor of psychiatry, aims to help. Laugeson is the co-founder and developer of the UCLA PEERS Clinic, or Program for the Education and Enrichment of Relational Skills, the only research-supported treatment programs for improving social skills for preschoolers, adolescents and young adults with autism. Her book, “PEERS for Young Adults,” is based on the success of that program.

Her book is a step-by-step manual for how to navigate through various social interactions. It contains 16 sessions, including homework assignments and practice/rehearsal tips. It also requires participation by a coach — a caregiver, friend, sibling or parent — who acts as a social coach in the real world.

If you have good enough cognition to write passionate detailed posts about your frustration you probably can follow the lessons without a coach.

I do have a problem with the right way (NT way) and wrong way (Autistic traits) idea that seems to be behind this. But there are so many young adults here frustrated with there lack of relationships who I am to self censor a resource people might find useful?

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman