Megachurch In Alabama May Get Its Own Police Force

Page 3 of 5 [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2017, 10:58 pm

Raptor wrote:
I don't see an issue here but then again I'm not a liberal terrified at the mere mention of the words CHURCH or
ALABAMA. It's not just one building but several on thier propery that they want to cover. IMHO, armed security guards should be able to handle it but that's up to that church and the laws of that state.

The article (if anyone read it) clearly sates that the church police will only have jurisdiction on the church grounds and I don't see why anyone would think any different. Any college campus I've been on had campus police, but I bet there wasn't an uproar back when that was instituted.

From the article:
Quote:
Some local police groups told NBC privately earlier they don't believe Briarwood needs its own force because the campus is already covered by deputies from both Jefferson and Shelby counties.
]When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

I also have no issues with churchgoers or employees other than cops carrying a peice on them as they normally would anywhere else.

I don't care if the police wouldn't have authority off of church grounds. Nor do I buy into the argument that they're afraid of terrorist attacks or whatever. There's just something untoward or wrong with a church, which is supposed to be a place where people worship the Prince of Peace, and are supposed to believe in loving their neighbor and turning the other cheek, has on staff uniformed, armed men. It's reminiscent of how the Papacy had once hired armed mercenaries to carry out its wars, or had empowered the clergy to torture and execute heretics. And no, I'm not saying that that sort of thing would be happening in the Alabama church. If any church deserves police protection, it's black churches who have been the subject of physical harm and vandalism, but I see them keeping more to christ's message of peace.
Guess what, I'm not just a liberal, but a church going liberal, so I'm hardly afraid of the mere mention of CHURCH.
As for Alabam - - what's to dislike, other than the poor education system, widespread poverty, the black poor having white poor people pitted against them by the moneyed class, voter suppression, a redneck culture embracing ignorance and bigotry, etc.
Who knows, maybe I'm just biased because I don't buy into all that theology of glory crap that flies for religion among evangelicals.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2017, 6:36 pm

Raptor wrote:
I don't see an issue here but then again I'm not a liberal terrified at the mere mention of the words CHURCH or
ALABAMA. It's not just one building but several on thier propery that they want to cover. IMHO, armed security guards should be able to handle it but that's up to that church and the laws of that state.

The article (if anyone read it) clearly sates that the church police will only have jurisdiction on the church grounds and I don't see why anyone would think any different. Any college campus I've been on had campus police, but I bet there wasn't an uproar back when that was instituted.

From the article:
Quote:
Some local police groups told NBC privately earlier they don't believe Briarwood needs its own force because the campus is already covered by deputies from both Jefferson and Shelby counties.
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

I also have no issues with churchgoers or employees other than cops carrying a peice on them as they normally would anywhere else.

Kraichgauer wrote:
I don't care if the police wouldn't have authority off of church grounds. Nor do I buy into the argument that they're afraid of terrorist attacks or whatever.

Doesn't matter what you or I buy into it's not our church. Apparently they think they need better security, for whatever reason, and it's their church. I don't see this turning into a Jim Jones type ministry with people being forced to drink poison Kool-aid.

Heaven knows why you're once again engaging in debate with someone you consider a bully and a troll... :shrug:

Kraichgauer wrote:
There's just something untoward or wrong with a church, which is supposed to be a place where people worship the Prince of Peace, and are supposed to believe in loving their neighbor and turning the other cheek, has on staff uniformed, armed men.

Regardless of the location, peace requires a backing of force (visible or not) and this is something that will never change.

Kraichgauer wrote:
It's reminiscent of how the Papacy had once hired armed mercenaries to carry out its wars, or had empowered the clergy to torture and execute heretics. And no, I'm not saying that that sort of thing would be happening in the Alabama church.

Then why bring it up?

Kraichgauer wrote:
If any church deserves police protection, it's black churches who have been the subject of physical harm and vandalism, but I see them keeping more to christ's message of peace.

More like most of them can't afford dedicated security, not that they dont want it.

Kraichgauer wrote:
Guess what, I'm not just a liberal, but a church going liberal, so I'm hardly afraid of the mere mention of CHURCH.
I'd love to say something here but I won't. I like to keep my TOS's down to only one a week and the week is still young.

Kraichgauer wrote:
As for Alabam - - what's to dislike, other than the poor education system, widespread poverty, the black poor having white poor people pitted against them by the moneyed class, voter suppression, a redneck culture embracing ignorance and bigotry, etc.

Maybe you should get out and actually see the some of country before making such judgement.

Kraichgauer wrote:
Who knows, maybe I'm just biased because I don't buy into all that theology of glory crap that flies for religion among evangelicals.

I don't either so I simply won't attend a church like that. To each his own.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2017, 7:33 pm

Raptor wrote:
Raptor wrote:

From the article:
Quote:
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

Kraichgauer wrote:
I don't care if the police wouldn't have authority off of church grounds. Nor do I buy into the argument that they're afraid of terrorist attacks or whatever.

Doesn't matter what you or I buy into it's not our church. Apparently they think they need better security, for whatever reason, and it's their church. I don't see this turning into a Jim Jones type ministry with people being forced to drink poison Kool-aid.

Heaven knows why you're once again engaging in debate with someone you consider a bully and a troll... :shrug:

Kraichgauer wrote:
There's just something untoward or wrong with a church, which is supposed to be a place where people worship the Prince of Peace, and are supposed to believe in loving their neighbor and turning the other cheek, has on staff uniformed, armed men.

Regardless of the location, peace requires a backing of force (visible or not) and this is something that will never change.

Kraichgauer wrote:
It's reminiscent of how the Papacy had once hired armed mercenaries to carry out its wars, or had empowered the clergy to torture and execute heretics. And no, I'm not saying that that sort of thing would be happening in the Alabama church.

Then why bring it up?

Kraichgauer wrote:
If any church deserves police protection, it's black churches who have been the subject of physical harm and vandalism, but I see them keeping more to christ's message of peace.

More like most of them can't afford dedicated security, not that they dont want it.

Kraichgauer wrote:
I'd love to say something here but I won't. I like to keep my TOS's down to only one a week and the week is still young.

Kraichgauer wrote:

Maybe you should get out and actually see the some of country before making such judgement.

Kraichgauer wrote:

I don't either so I simply won't attend a church like that. To each his own.

Despite your more despicable traits, I actually still respect your ability to argue, and so I was hoping for a talk that might be spirited, yet still respectful. The old Raptor, the Nazi-pirate hat wearing bird he used to be, would have been less embittered and more civil.
And sure, I probably do need to get out to see more of the country. But so do the rednecks who see the west coast as a bunch of effete, lattai sipping, atheistic, demi-commies.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2017, 8:18 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Despite your more despicable traits, I actually still respect your ability to argue, and so I was hoping for a talk that might be spirited, yet still respectful. The old Raptor, the Nazi-pirate hat wearing bird he used to be, would have been less embittered and more civil.

^ Not much of a reply here, considering. :roll:

My meanness actually goes all the way back to 2007 and I some ways I was meaner then.
Check this out:
http://wrongplanet.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=42993

(Now I can't wait for someone to get their panties in a knot and report a 10 year old post. :P )

Actually, my position on LGBT'ers has softened since then and I now see it as a constitutionally protected right. I still don't like it but I don't have to like it in order to see it as a protected right. (< read that part again) Too bad some liberals can't accept the constitutional rights they don't personally like.
Back when that post was made my cure for homosexuality involved Zyklon B and I wasn't joking so you can see I've come a ways since then.
I've also softened my stand on welfare since then, just not as much as you'd like.
You, on the other hand, have gotten no less blindly liberal that I can tell.

Quote:
And sure, I probably do need to get out to see more of the country. But so do the rednecks who see the west coast as a bunch of effete, lattai sipping, atheistic, demi-commies.

Most of the rednecks I've known have been to California. I've said before that I (probably a redneck in your eyes) absolutely love some things about California, but the things that I hate outweigh them.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2017, 12:17 am

Raptor wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

^ Not much of a reply here, considering. :roll:

My meanness actually goes all the way back to 2007 and I some ways I was meaner then.
Check this out:
http://wrongplanet.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=42993

(Now I can't wait for someone to get their panties in a knot and report a 10 year old post. :P )

Actually, my position on LGBT'ers has softened since then and I now see it as a constitutionally protected right. I still don't like it but I don't have to like it in order to see it as a protected right. (< read that part again) Too bad some liberals can't accept the constitutional rights they don't personally like.
Back when that post was made my cure for homosexuality involved Zyklon B and I wasn't joking so you can see I've come a ways since then.
I've also softened my stand on welfare since then, just not as much as you'd like.
You, on the other hand, have gotten no less blindly liberal that I can tell.

Quote:

Most of the rednecks I've known have been to California. I've said before that I (probably a redneck in your eyes) absolutely love some things about California, but the things that I hate outweigh them.

I am actually delighted you've seen the light on LGBT rights and public assistance.
I'm sure there are things about red states I'd like (especially the literary accomplishments of William Faulkner, Robert E. Howard, Flannery O'Conner, etc), but that my dislike would also outweigh the like.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2017, 1:49 am

What about the rednecks who *live* in Cali?

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2017, 12:40 pm

I live in California, know things about farming, manufacturing, and finance.

I find it strange (or conniving) how ostensible leftists practice euthanasia and forms of enslavement, against their social-lessers, and call it so charitable. I don't know (and they don't know) whether they really believe themselves.

Prejudiced or not, it would be more intellectually-honest, to practice identity politics, and call it that. Or, anarchism. I mean, you can put people to the lash, or just leave them the hell alone, but without any virtue signaling. Either way, do what you say.

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2017, 12:55 pm

This is not a personal endorsement, just offered for consideration:
https://www.infowars.com/man-who-shoute ... te-people/
https://www.infowars.com/fbi-launches-t ... 50-states/

I felt that Muhammad was not just the founder of a religion, but also a general and a statesman.

As such, he would practice hudna and civilization jihad, namely against the financial and military center of the West. They give a loud, public litany, on meaningful dates, and raise minarets, where they have attacked. If they are brutes, they are leaving nothing up to the imagination.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2017, 10:07 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
What about the rednecks who *live* in Cali?

There are a lot of California rednecks. There is not a state that is without them but some states have many more than others.There area also Canadian rednecks.

0regonGuy
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2017, 4:17 pm

Darmok wrote:
Colleges and universities all have their own police forces. I don't get what the issue is.

Sounds like lefty knee-jerkism in response to any report involving a church or Alabama.

Because it means that if you have enough money you can start your own police department, and arrest who ever you want, or just have your cops shoot them, and get away with it. The country has gone so far down the police state toilet, that it's ridicules.

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2017, 4:52 pm

California rednecks are fruity, middle-aged men, in golf shirts with tropical prints, and those sun-goggles, which go over their prescription eyewear. There is a rural tenant, named Manuel, for Manuel labor, or it is some conspicuously-deformed, black person -- hopefully, very chaste. Prison labor is used for larger jobs, like to pick all the avocados.

The mansion will be in antebellum, Georgian style, or after the notorious, Spanish missions -- surrounded in tall razor wire and many cameras, so the property line looks like a border checkpoint.

Labeled bathrooms are approx 6" deep, and used to store hand tools.

And, this is called liberal. To paraphrase, I am not racist but (litany and diatribe.) But, not racist. My best impression of a California redneck. :roll:

Rural Mexicans, some of whom are supposed to be gentlemen, are possibly, truer examples of a redneck. If you know how to process wild legumes, and goat meat, and get honey from a sharp cactus, and defend the honor of women against cartels, you might be a redneck.

0regonGuy
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2017, 4:57 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Raptor wrote:

From the article:
Quote:
]When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

I don't care if the police wouldn't have authority off of church grounds.

Don't buy the part about them not having authority off church grounds. If they are an accredited police department, then they have authority any where in the US. Sam DuBose of Cincinnati was shot and killed by a University of Cincinnati Police officer. He wasn't on the University of Cincinnati Campus. He wasn't near the University of Cincinnati. He was just driving through his own neighborhood, when the University cop decided to do a hit on him. Because to the twisted logic of the police state proponents, it makes total sense to have University Police Officers patrolling off campus. This just makes it official. Police no longer have anything to do with law enforcement. They are just hired goons for anybody who has enough money to start their own police department.

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2017, 5:06 pm

This is the praetor vs. Oathkeeper discussion.

The praetor is not needed, where responsible citizens seize the initiative.

Most of the people, here, want that to be someone else's job.

So, you get United Airlines and elementary school goons, or else, you have to personally do, what church security is doing.

How many grown men are in that "mega" church? You want to say 500, for a nice, round number? What good is such a small crew, if everyone is doing their best.

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2017, 8:59 am

Terrorist threat, filmed in Sioux Falls, outside of church convention.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LiV2Roz2xy4

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2017, 5:12 pm

The AL megachurch in question is Presbyterian, hardly Evangelical.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2017, 5:50 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
The AL megachurch in question is Presbyterian, hardly Evangelical.

Sometimes, the lines between the mainline and the evangelical can become blurred, especially in the deep south. Oral Roberts had been an ordained Presbyterian minister, and remained one, despite his faith healing and speaking in tongues scam.