Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

yungsavage
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

23 Apr 2017, 9:10 am

So, if you believe that there is a God, and that he cares about everybody on this planet, why would he give a child autism? Not only does this mean that the kid has to suffer their entire lives because of this debilitating disorder that God gave them for no reason, but the parents have to care for the autistic child, which can be extremely difficult. What did that kid ever do to deserve getting a disorder? Isn't it cruel to intentionally mess with a kids brain to make them not be able to function properly, then make the kid's parents have to deal with all the meltdowns and hardships that come with raising the kid. Don't even get me started on kids who suffer from retardation.

I am not creating this post to be inflammatory, I genuinely want to know how you can be a Christian and know that God does this to his children.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2017, 11:16 am

There is a school of thought which states that God created the universe, and that He then withdrew and let us fight our own battles.

Therefore, God didn't give us autism; mutation gave us autism.

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2017, 11:26 am

Who says I think being autistic is a bad thing? I see it as an advantage. It's OTHER PEOPLE that have a problem with it. God gave everyone freewill.

Yo El
Toucan
Toucan

23 Apr 2017, 12:05 pm

yungsavage wrote:
So, if you believe that there is a God, and that he cares about everybody on this planet, why would he give a child autism? Not only does this mean that the kid has to suffer their entire lives because of this debilitating disorder that God gave them for no reason, but the parents have to care for the autistic child, which can be extremely difficult. What did that kid ever do to deserve getting a disorder? Isn't it cruel to intentionally mess with a kids brain to make them not be able to function properly, then make the kid's parents have to deal with all the meltdowns and hardships that come with raising the kid. Don't even get me started on kids who suffer from retardation.

I am not creating this post to be inflammatory, I genuinely want to know how you can be a Christian and know that God does this to his children.

Owh so you are saying that because I have autism God has inflicted suffering upon me, and you find Him cruel for making me they way I am. What is there to say? I find your negative view about autism more disturbing than actually having autism. You do know a lot of struggle with autism doesn't come from internal factors but external. Such as bullying and people not taking into account your problems. You do know that people with a disability is exactly the kind of people God seeks for His kingdom of Heaven right, because those who are most dependant on God are the most important to God. I would say thank the Lord for my disability because of my disablity I know more than anyone that I need God's help. Thank the Lord for my disability I now can have better sympathy for those who struggle. Thank the Lord for my disability because he cares about people like me. And thank the lord for my disability because the Kingdom of Heaven is made for people like me. The list goes on buddy.

yungsavage
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

23 Apr 2017, 10:26 pm

Yo El wrote:
yungsavage wrote:

Owh so you are saying that because I have autism God has inflicted suffering upon me, and you find Him cruel for making me they way I am. What is there to say? I find your negative view about autism more disturbing than actually having autism. You do know a lot of struggle with autism doesn't come from internal factors but external. Such as bullying and people not taking into account your problems. You do know that people with a disability is exactly the kind of people God seeks for His kingdom of Heaven right, because those who are most dependant on God are the most important to God. I would say thank the Lord for my disability because of my disablity I know more than anyone that I need God's help. Thank the Lord for my disability I now can have better sympathy for those who struggle. Thank the Lord for my disability because he cares about people like me. And thank the lord for my disability because the Kingdom of Heaven is made for people like me. The list goes on buddy.

I don't have a "negative" view on autism. I however, am not delusional, and can recognize that autism is a disorder off a reason. Being anti-social and extremely anxious all the time is not an advantage. Not being able to understand basic human communication is not an an advantage. Having mental breakdowns over the littlest things is not an advantage. You can lie to yourself and think that autism isn't a debilitating disorder, but it is. I have AS and can definitely say that symptoms of AS effects my quality of life.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2017, 10:44 pm

Perhaps, to keep us safe.

Like in the movie, "Population 436".

Maybe without an ASD, we would of had self-destructive behavior.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Population_436

Yo El
Toucan
Toucan

24 Apr 2017, 3:22 am

yungsavage wrote:
I don't have a "negative" view on autism. I however, am not delusional, and can recognize that autism is a disorder off a reason. Being anti-social and extremely anxious all the time is not an advantage. Not being able to understand basic human communication is not an an advantage. Having mental breakdowns over the littlest things is not an advantage. You can lie to yourself and think that autism isn't a debilitating disorder, but it is. I have AS and can definitely say that symptoms of AS effects my quality of life.
I know autism has it's disadvantages. And I'm not lying to myself.

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2017, 9:55 am

Autistic traits are useful, in normative society.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2017, 10:11 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
There is a school of thought which states that God created the universe, and that He then withdrew and let us fight our own battles....

Deism, yes. Better described by you in the way that Dilbert's Scott Adams once wrote a book about a deistic God who, having created all existence, wanted to "know" death personally. So, He exploded himself and, by doing so, caused the Big Bang giving life to the universe. Panentheists believe this in various ways, too.

MagicMeerkat wrote:
Who says I think being autistic is a bad thing? I see it as an advantage. It's OTHER PEOPLE that have a problem with it. God gave everyone freewill.

I agree!

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

Amaltheia
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Apr 2017, 10:30 am

yungsavage wrote:
I don't have a "negative" view on autism. I however, am not delusional, and can recognize that autism is a disorder off a reason. Being anti-social and extremely anxious all the time is not an advantage. Not being able to understand basic human communication is not an an advantage.

Conceptualizing the Autism Spectrum in Terms of Natural Selection and Behavioral Ecology: The Solitary Forager Hypothesis

Advantage is relative to the environment.

As for why God would give us autism, I'd say it's for the same reason there are multiple stars, multiple planets, multiple species, multiple cultures, etc. He apparently likes variety.

That, and He loves us. Unlike other people, He figures we're up to the challenge. Don't let God down.

seaweed
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2017, 12:54 pm

i don't understand where people get the idea that god should be indiscriminately nice and caring to those who haven't done anything wrong

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2017, 2:56 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
There is a school of thought which states that God created the universe, and that He then withdrew and let us fight our own battles.

Therefore, God didn't give us autism; mutation gave us autism.

Deism declined by the end of the 18th century. Though it is more credible than most Theism.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2017, 3:04 pm

Theists have a range of explanation for this.

The problem is not just the explanations it is the fact that they contradict themselves. Theists require both free will and determinism when it suits.

Otherwise they just say "god's will" or "god works in mysterious ways"

The real question is what is the basis for your morality? Why would you base it on such a poor example?

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2017, 3:33 pm

yungsavage wrote:

Because I don't believe that God DOES do this to His children----there are, IMO, any of myriad of things that causes an ASD, and not one of them, that I can think-of, isn't caused by HUMANS.

I've often thought that the philosophy in the OP is why some people become atheists----in essence, saying "If there was a god, why would he let / make me suffer, like this?"; and, that just completely blows-my-mind that, no.1, the person seemingly thinks that no one else suffers, but them; and, no.2, that no one else suffers as badly as them. I'd MUCH rather have Aspergers, than, say, ALS, like Stephen Hawking----I mean, I may make alot of mistakes in what I say and do, but at least I CAN say and do.

Yo El
Toucan
Toucan

24 Apr 2017, 4:27 pm

0_equals_true wrote:
Theists have a range of explanation for this.

The problem is not just the explanations it is the fact that they contradict themselves. Theists require both free will and determinism when it suits.

Otherwise they just say "god's will" or "god works in mysterious ways"

The real question is what is the basis for your morality? Why would you base it on such a poor example?
I find That a bit of a generalization.

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2017, 6:36 pm

There is no god.

READ THIS -> https://represent.us/