Do AS people not use their sub-conscious?

Page 3 of 4 [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

nobodyzdream
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2007, 9:05 am

I would think... there is a HUGE difference in observing something and knowing what you should do, and actually being able to do it. Just because this book/site has helped you doesn't mean that it's going to work for anyone else, and I don't understand why you keep pushing it, and this is not the first time that you've riled everyone up by being so pushy about it. You seem surprised that you are getting these reactions.

Normally, as with anything else, if someone has a strong opinion about something, you are NOT going to change it... so what do you expect?

It's frustrating to read over these and feel that you are pushing us all to be "normal" too, just because something worked for you. They all seem to start out the same way-it's like an advertisement to read, and for some reason, every time I read one of your threads, it feels like you are trying to convert every single person here to a cult or something, lol. "Do you ever get angry? Do you hate the way you feel? Do you wish there was a cure? ...just click this link and all of your troubles will be gone!"

I don't doubt that it worked for you, but the idea of just doing these things confuses the hell out of me, because it's not the way my brain works, lol. ...and I'm confused that you do keep pushing it so incredibly strongly no matter how many disagree or don't feel that it is possible at all. Why push so hard to make somebody what they are not? I've pretended for 26 years now, I'm tired of it quite frankly, yet that's exactly what you are pushing for us to keep on doing. We're supposed to be here for support, not to try to force everyone to change the way that they are.

chamoisee
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2007, 9:06 am

My tentative opinion is that our subconcious isn't walled off like NT's. We access it on a regular basis, and we also can't cram it away and "just stop thinking about it".

I think this is an element in why we get so depressed or continue to be depressed long after other people have gotten ove rit.

pluto
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2007, 10:11 am

I'm not sure I can 'use' my subconscious.If anything,my subconscious uses ME.If I try to switch off and go with the flow,especially in a social setting,I invariably end up doing or saying
things that are inappropriate.I've learned that I can't rely on intuition in the grown-up world as I
think I still have the intuition of a 10 year old !
Ironically I feel most at ease when I'm 'systemizing',having prepared and maybe even rehearsed
in advance,as this gives me some reassurance of having a degree of self control. The confidence
of being in control with practice may lead to some actions almost becoming subconscious,but
not to the same extent as a person who is regarded as NT for social interaction

Mandelbrot
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 May 2007, 1:58 pm

I think we all have a subconscious, its just closer to the 'surface' (of consciousness) than in NT's.

undefineable
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 May 2007, 2:51 pm

Going on waht Nobodyzdream was saying, am I right in assuming that most members here have little interest in what you'd call 'personal / spiritual development'? That's not a criticism; maybe people like me who get into that mush spend too much time and energy for too little gain. In any case, changing onesself as an adult isn't accepted in Western cultures -As they say, 'Ours is not to reason why; ours is but to do and die"-

I guess the main conclusion would be that you can't discover your social intuition if it wasn't there in the first place. But if aspies have *no* social intuition, why the difference in behaviour between aspergers and classic autism?

Wolfpup
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2007, 3:03 pm

undefineable wrote:
Going on waht Nobodyzdream was saying, am I right in assuming that most members here have little interest in what you'd call 'personal / spiritual development'? That's not a criticism; maybe people like me who get into that mush spend too much time and energy for too little gain. In any case, changing onesself as an adult isn't accepted in Western cultures -As they say, 'Ours is not to reason why; ours is but to do and die"-

I guess the main conclusion would be that you can't discover your social intuition if it wasn't there in the first place. But if aspies have *no* social intuition, why the difference in behaviour between aspergers and classic autism?

I don't know about the rest, but I have some insterst in "personaol/spiritual" devlopment. It's not something I think about much though. Although just trying to get myself figured out in regards to AS and how I can get help qualifies I guess.

nobodyzdream
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2007, 3:06 pm

I wouldn't say that I don't have any interest in it, but for me, I have to want it and find it for myself. Otherwise nothing will come of it.

I'm not doubting that things aren't better for the OP, but it seems the idea is being very *pushed*. Almost every post I have seen winds up talking about us needing to go to the site, etc.

I don't mind it, I'm just saying, to me, that's what it feels like. If I don't want to see it, I don't have to look, if I don't want to hear it, I don't have to listen... but it is kind of annoying, lol.

I'm pretty sure that I'm looking at it very much so at face value, and am probably entirely wrong in my interpretation :) I'll admit to that openly, lol. But I don't see any other way of looking at the way it is intended until it is clearly explained to me, lol-until then, I just see it being pushed. It's just the way it's being presented and my own perception and ability to figure out the intentions, and it bothers me.

For me, I'm not easily moldable, I'm not easy to explain things to, as most probably are not, and I don't deal well with someone pushing an idea at me. It's my own fault for reading it, I know this, but it doesn't mean that it doesn't bother me just the same.

I'm all for personal growth, but just in that sense-"personal" growth. If someone else wants to look it up, sees improvements, then great :) I'm not speaking for everyone, just for myself as I cannot know what anyone else is thinking or how they feel about it (besides reading previous posts to mine). For me, I know what I'd like to change, and will find that on my own :) My mind most likely won't change, but it doesn't mean I don't listen or try to understand even if it doesn't appear that way. I like to find what works on my own, I can't go just off of one person's observation-especially if I don't know them and cannot actually see a difference and all. I kind of need that in order to take anything into consideration-experiences, stories HOW something has changed, not just someone saying it has and expecting me to believe it. It's hard to explain.

Ultimately, great, awesome, it worked, but to put it at the end of every post and argue with people that the site does work every time they respond, that's a bit much to me :P

He's very determined-I admire that, lol, it's just not for me is all.

I really really really don't mean to sound harsh-just overanalyzing the entire situation, and voicing my thoughts. So if you see something other than what I do, feel free to let me know or PM so that I can understand better or at least try :P

rosewellalien1
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

22 May 2007, 8:40 pm

:D there is a reference to a research study in his website. he needs volunteers to experiment on, as he is trying to verify and or spread his conclusions. i think it is a little of both. if there were a magic spell like his that could cure aspergers, it would have already been done on a wider scale than just one or two people.

i also think this person still has issues with his problems and is having difficulty accepting the way he is.(i think it has something to do with ego).

thats my opinion. 8)

nutbag
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2007, 10:53 pm

I find that I run all my social interaction software in my conscious mind (emulation mode). However, I use my subconscious a lot, even professionally as I learned to drive it by determination long ago.

If I have an issue to solve and am not coming up with any solutions I will load it to sub by literally grinding my conscious mind in deep considration of that unresolved issue: questions, facts, desires, patterns. . .

. . .Then at some time later when my foreground is relatively quiet, the sub will give me an answer: flash traffic from sub to foreground. Yeah! I use this all the time. My background is still making requests for data and delivering traffic from issues loaded decades ago.

cynicism occurs immediately upon pressing your brain's start button

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2007, 11:41 pm

My subconscious does things that subconscious minds dont normally do. For example, my dreams are terribly practical things. In my dreams I find solutions to math/programming problems, ideas for things to build... and are rarely about people. In fact, when i dream of people, they are often abstracted, static(motionless) and/or do not speak.

LostInSpace
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2007, 12:15 am

agentcyclosarin wrote:
Guess in your theory my left leg is Neurotypical while my Right leg has AS.
Lol. We need to give our brains tennis lessons guys.
I'll get right on that.

LOL :D My left side actually is much weaker than my right due to my NLD (my right side has normal strength and my left side is weak)- it's a typical symptom to have left-sided weakness with NLD (not with AS that I know of though). Even that works as an argument against JCJC777's theories though- my left hand has gotten plenty of use in my life, but that hasn't "fixed" the weakness. After all, I played flute and piano for years, which had to have strengthened it, but because the problem is neurological, my left grip is still only in the 10th percentile.

LostInSpace
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2007, 1:04 am

undefineable wrote:

Well, one big difference is that I think in classic autism the perceptual problems/sensory disturbances are much more severe. Even if neither Aspies nor auties have social intuition, auties would be hindered even in their ability to learn social rules analytically due to the perceptual issues.

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2007, 5:43 am

I went and read the website in question thoughly and thoughtfully. I have to say that there are some interesting things in there, but i think the author is a little mistaken on some counts.

First...

Quote:
To AS people, perhaps because they have made many social mistakes before, this NT approach looks from outside like a very high-risk approach.

I have infantile/toddler memories. I can clearly recall systemizing/thinking before I could talk. I've confirmed these memories with people that were there. I have an unconfirmable memory of coming home from the hospital at 1 week old. I dont recall thinking in words at that point, but I remember The pointed analysis of the various items in my field of vision. They had no names and no words, but they were each considered individually.

For example, the man that drove my mother and I home from the hospital is my cousin. Over the years he became a heavy drinker and his face is flushed and reddened from it. He also works outside and has a consistant tan. At the time, he was young, pale, and had no red to his cheeks and nose. I remember him glancing over and down at me.

Secondly, the process of stopping systemizing as described by the author is systematic in itself. It SCREAMS ruleset. The rule is "we follow no rules"? Give me a break. Smell the contradiction?

Wolfpup
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2007, 10:15 am

Fuzzy wrote:
I have infantile/toddler memories. I can clearly recall systemizing/thinking before I could talk. I've confirmed these memories with people that were there. I have an unconfirmable memory of coming home from the hospital at 1 week old. I dont recall thinking in words at that point, but I remember The pointed analysis of the various items in my field of vision. They had no names and no words, but they were each considered individually.

That's fascinating. I've read in Tony Attwood's book that people with AS tend to have memories that are much earlier than NTs have.

I don't understand what systemizing means, but like you, I can remember thinking before I could talk. It was before I had an inner voice that ran in words. I also remember realizing that as I started using words, my thought process actually slowed way down, and being kind of sad about that.

I have many memories from before I was three (and apparently NTs don't). No one really believes me, but I even remember right after I was born being very frustrated because I couldn't see what was going on. My mom has said that I didn't cry at all when I was born, and didn't cry until they took me away from her and wrapped me up and placed me in a crib thing. I stopped crying when I got myself unwrapped and (apparently within a half hour of being born) pulled myself up over the top to look into the room.
But I remember TONS of stuff from a few months old through 3. I remember getting and shredding a stuffed bunny my grandparents got me (not intentionally trying to destroy it). That was before I had language. All kinds of stuff. I can remember from then pretty much as well as from any other age. I remember that better than what I ate last week :D

But yeah, at any rate I not only remember stuff from back then, I also remember THINKING back then. I was very curious about things, thought about things, etc., even before I had language. I just used pictures and concepts I guess.

Quote:
Secondly, the process of stopping systemizing as described by the author is systematic in itself. It SCREAMS ruleset. The rule is "we follow no rules"? Give me a break. Smell the contradiction?

He was saying we don't have rules? Like, at all? I'm pretty rigid with rules...I try to break myself out of that sometimes.

Wolfpup
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2007, 10:45 am

Fuzzy wrote:
My subconscious does things that subconscious minds dont normally do. For example, my dreams are terribly practical things. In my dreams I find solutions to math/programming problems, ideas for things to build... and are rarely about people. In fact, when i dream of people, they are often abstracted, static(motionless) and/or do not speak.

That sounds super useful! My subconscious does that occasionally, but not in any regular predictable way. My dreams tend to be "normal" (I guess, from the few I remember), although I do occasionally have prophetic dreams (I guess that's what you would call them).

I also dream in color, which is supposedly unusual. I've never had a black and white dream. Don't know if that has anything to do with anything.

mizkathy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 May 2007, 12:31 pm

I think I'm pretty good at using my subconscious.