2018 Democrat Party Comeback Not A Guarantee

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2017, 5:40 pm

http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/first-read/despite-trump-s-low-numbers-dem-surge-no-guarantee-n750386

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2017, 6:02 pm

The fact that the Democrats are defending 25 seats in the Senate compared to 8 for the Republicans does not bode well for them.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2017, 8:06 pm

Even if the Democrats don't win the next election I predict they could still recover some of the seats they lost as a reflection of overall dissatisfaction with Trump. That should be seen as a victory of sorts.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2017, 8:39 pm

There is already a huge list of Democrats who could run in 2020 for president.

The ones most mentioned are Caroline Kennedy, Cory Booker, Martin O'Malley, Bernie Sanders, Terry McAuliffe, and Lincoln Chafee.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

the_phoenix
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2017, 8:54 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Even if the Democrats don't win the next election I predict they could still recover some of the seats they lost as a reflection of overall dissatisfaction with Trump. That should be seen as a victory of sorts.

What overall dissatisfaction with Trump? You mean among Democrats?

http://nypost.com/2017/04/22/how-trump-voters-feel-about-his-first-100-days/

Nuggets from the article:

And now? “Nothing has changed,” said Rob Hughes, a registered Democrat and retired businessman from Bulger, Pa., who I met on my cross-country trip, told me last week. “Well, that’s probably not entirely true. I think I like him more now that he is the president.”

Trump’s supporters are unfazed that a new health-care law is not in place (yet), thrilled with the appointment of Neil Gorsuch to the Supreme Court, weary of the constant accusations of his ties to Russia, supportive of his strike against Syria for using chemical weapons against its people and dismayed that House Republicans and Democrats are unwilling to compromise. To them, the president remains disruptive, unconventional, defiant and willing to change his mind — appealing attributes to his supporters, but not so to the press.

Why is that? Hughes cites Trump’s unconventional approach to politics, his dismissal of political games and his willingness to compromise to get things done: “I am thrilled he has an open dialogue with China, not just on foreign affairs but on trade issues as well, and I am very pleased about how he responded to the atrocities in Syria.”

“He is doing exactly what we wanted and expected him to do,” said A.J. “Yes, there have been setbacks, but anyone intelligent would understand that was to be expected. He is not a politician, and I had no expectation of him to be anything but non-conventional.”

Although her husband, David, with whom she co-owns a small outdoor-equipment and parts store in Fort Collins, was all in for Trump, Michelle was not. But when it came down to it, “At the very last minute, I pulled the trigger for Trump,” Barnett said. “I just could not abide voting for those corrupt Clintons.”

And her husband, David? “Oh, he just loves him. Loves him. Loves everything he does,” she said.
Much has changed since their initial reluctance last October, “I am 100 percent pleased with his performance so far,” he said.

“Yes he has made some mistakes, but they are so minor that they are insignificant,” he said. “The president has us heading in the right direction. I had my hesitations about him, but they quickly disappeared once he took office.”

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2017, 1:10 am

But I thought Trump was just a couple of weeks away from impeachment.

Shahunshah
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2017, 1:23 am

The Democrats won't win the senate. Won't win the house period.

Democratic senators are up for reelection in these following solidly Republican states they will have to win all of these seats in order to prevent their minority of senate seats from even becoming smaller:
Montana
North Dakota
Missouri
West Virginia(Where 68% of the population voted Republican)

And in addition they will have to flip some solidly red states:

When you look at all these factors therefore we can say that any gain for their party next year is unlikely. Trump's agenda will run unadulterated.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2017, 1:39 am

I posted a whole thread on this in the politics section but according to an ABC poll 96% or Trump voters would do it again and Trump would win the popular vote by 3 points if the election was held last week. So far it looks like the resistance is an epic fail.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2017, 1:43 am

the_phoenix wrote:

That was an enlightening article. I really like this part
Quote:
Voters like the ones on US 30 are the best route to understanding America’s heartland. Their sentiments eluded most reporters in the last election cycle, and many of them warn that coming to their towns to take their political temperatures isn’t going to fix the problem if the people themselves remain misunderstood.

“I just wish for once they would stop talking over us, or at us, and listen to us, so they understand what is going on in our lives,” Hughes said of the media.

"We aren’t creatures in a zoo. You can’t just parachute in, stay for a few minutes and then leave. If you want to understand how we feel about something, it takes more than a cursory look at our lives.”

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2017, 2:11 am

First, we need to get rid of the establishment Democrats. Those are the people who have been losing elections left and right. We need to primary their butts in 2018, and bring in more populist candidates. It's clear the American people are tired of the same old same old, and this crop of Democrats has no idea what they're doing.

I support the Justice Democrats.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2017, 4:00 am

the_phoenix wrote:
And her husband, David? “Oh, he just loves him. Loves him. Loves everything he does,” she said.
Much has changed since their initial reluctance last October, “I am 100 percent pleased with his performance so far

David obviously has flimsy morals and fairly low integrity/ethics but then he's in good company these days

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2017, 5:05 am

beneficii wrote:
First, we need to get rid of the establishment Democrats. Those are the people who have been losing elections left and right. We need to primary their butts in 2018, and bring in more populist candidates. It's clear the American people are tired of the same old same old, and this crop of Democrats has no idea what they're doing.

I support the Justice Democrats.

What/who are the Justice Democrats?

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

25 Apr 2017, 7:02 am

Democrats main goal in 2018 is to prevent the GOP from gaining a filibuster proof supermajority in the Senate. They won't be recapturing the House in all likelihood, 2018 will be about mitigating the damage as much as possible.

As for 2020, Dems have such a weak bench it's impossible to predict. Some party veteran could run and win or it could be a nobody, I sincerely doubt it will be a real outsider like Tulsi Gabbard. I don't see much changing with the Democratic party.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2017, 8:02 am

Tim_Tex wrote:
What/who are the Justice Democrats?

Wikipedia - Justice Democrats
Quote:
The Justice Democrats are a political action committee founded on January 23, 2017, by Cenk Uygur of The Young Turks, Kyle Kulinski of Secular Talk, and former leadership from the 2016 Bernie Sanders presidential campaign. The organization, formed as a result of the 2016 United States presidential election, has a stated goal of reforming the Democratic Party by running "a unified campaign to replace every corporate-backed member of Congress and rebuild the [Democratic] party from scratch" starting in the 2018 Congressional midterm elections.The Justice Democrats have been described as attempting to create a left-wing populist movement analogous to the right-wing Tea Party movement.

Aspiegaming
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2017, 11:05 am

EzraS wrote:
But I thought Trump was just a couple of weeks away from impeachment.

You think his impeachment would come soon, but the goal's stretched so far away as we keep moving forward, it looks like he'll have a third term.

If my darkness or eccentricness offends you, I don't really care.

I will not apologize for being me.

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2017, 4:19 pm

Just call it alt-left, and sell out.