Page 5 of 5 [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2017, 7:42 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Confederate flag used in Hotel Bethlehem wedding causes stir

Quote:
The sight of a Confederate flag in a window at the historic Hotel Bethlehem on Saturday upset a few passers-by.

The flag was taken down, but not before it prompted one man to start loudly cursing on Bethlehem's busy Main Street. The man refused to calm down and police issued him a citation for disorderly conduct, Bethlehem police Chief Mark DiLuzio said.

The Confederate flag, which is associated with racism, wasn't meant to offend, said the hotel's general manger.

It, along with a Union flag in another window, were hung by guests at the wedding of a couple who met during a Civil War re-enactment, said Dennis Costello, the hotel general manager.

Costello said once hotel employees realized the flag was upsetting people, they asked the couple to take it down. They did.

"There was certainly no intent on our part and certainly I don't think on their part either to offend anybody or to cause any ill will," Costello said. "They didn't mean to upset anyone."

Yes the confederate flag has been used as symbol by racists... It was and is also a symbol of regional pride that sometimes is tied into racism and sometimes not. Now we are taking it away from the public places, next it will be probably be banned or shamed away altogether. Confederate symbolism is bieng turned into just another microagression.

As for the article: I feel that what the police chief, said ("I also want to respect the rights of the people getting married.") was RIGHT, because that's all I'm asking, is that EVERYBODY'S right is respected----and, I DON'T think it was right that the hotel general manager, said: "In hindsight, if someone says, 'Well, we're going to do a Civil War re-enactment,' we'd say, 'All right, that's good, but you've got to leave the flags home'", because I feel that, at the very MOST, he should say "Please don't hang the flags in the window"----NOT to say that people should leave them, home.

As for your comment: EXACTLY!! I especially agree with the part about it probably being banned or shamed-away, and Confederate symbolism being turned into another micro-aggression.

There have been LOTS of symbols, and other things, throughout U.S. history, that I and others may not have liked----but, I certainly would (and DO) defend someone's right to have / display them.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2017, 1:28 am

Misslizard wrote:
I'm also from a part of the South that didn't have many slaves,the Ozarks.Just poor hill folk for the most part.Most came here from Appalachia.This area had about as many Union supporters as Confederates.While the big issue was slavery,in this small area it was secession

I think what people (including those living in the south today) don't take into account is moral relativity of the time. During the pre-civil war era you did not have to own a slave in the south to associate slaves as "private property" rather than human beings. It was simply part of the culture of the time. You can tell this is embarrassing to southerners who in their numerous reenactments and recreation of the "antebellum" south (including civil war reenactments) there is a fairly deliberate attempt to never include African Americans because the only way southerners think of African Americans is as slaves (despite the fact there were plenty of AAs who fought on the side of the confederacy and Union)

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2017, 1:31 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
I agree with you there, I mean I could see maybe removing them from public space but they shouldn't destroy them, it is history even if it was a dark period of it. But perhaps a history museum or something would be a better place.

I think a museum like this one is appropriate
http://www.jhc.org.au/

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2017, 9:38 am

cyberdad wrote:
You can tell this is embarrassing to southerners who in their numerous reenactments and recreation of the "antebellum" south (including civil war reenactments) there is a fairly deliberate attempt to never include African Americans because the only way southerners think of African Americans is as slaves (despite the fact there were plenty of AAs who fought on the side of the confederacy and Union)

Really?

.....and, there's PLENTY more like those pictures, on the Internet.

I've never been to a Civil War Reenactment, in the South, where there WASN'T black soldiers----it would be LUDICROUS!! This is why THINKING black people, have no problem with the Confederate flag and other Confederate things (like the black man I spoke-of earlier, with a Confederate flag T-shirt), because they know it is ALSO in memory of THEIR kin who fought valiantly and gave their lives for the U.S.

Have you ever been to a CWR in the U.S.?
Have you ever talked to lots of born / bred Southerners (blacks and whites) in the U.S., in person, regarding race relations?

You can read, on the Internet, every day, and twice on Sundays, about race relations in the U.S., and post your OPINION (or, somebody else's that you've read)----but, please don't speak so matter-of-factly about a subject of which you know, next-to-nothing. Again, until you've walked a mile in OUR shoes.....

This is why I post, often, about MY experiences regarding race relations, because I feel it gives another angle to the issue----but, nobody wants to hear it, because it doesn't fit into their nice, neat tiny little package of THEORY, tied-up with a bow.

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2017, 10:03 am

Go ahead and celebrate the perceived victory.

If I thought it would do anything to advance racial equality, I'd be all behind it.

But-- It's about feelings, it's about political correctness, it's about theater. Making a statement.

When you start erasing history and worrying about "making a statement," very bad things tend to follow.

So-- go ahead and celebrate. Heady feeling, being on the forefront of a cultural revolution. Heady days. Enjoy them while they last.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2017, 10:04 am

Campin_Cat wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
You can tell this is embarrassing to southerners who in their numerous reenactments and recreation of the "antebellum" south (including civil war reenactments) there is a fairly deliberate attempt to never include African Americans because the only way southerners think of African Americans is as slaves (despite the fact there were plenty of AAs who fought on the side of the confederacy and Union)

Really?

.....and, there's PLENTY more like those pictures, on the Internet.

I've never been to a Civil War Reenactment where there WASN'T black soldiers----it would be LUDICROUS!!

Have you ever been to a CWR in the U.S.?
Have you ever talked to lots of born / bred Southerners (blacks and whites) in the U.S., in person, regarding race relations?

You can read, on the Internet, every day, and twice on Sundays, about race relations in the U.S., and post your OPINION (or, somebody else's that you've read)----but, please don't speak so matter-of-factly about a subject of which you know, next-to-nothing. Again, until you've walked a mile in OUR shoes.....

This is why I post, often, about MY experiences, because I feel it gives another angle to the issue----but, nobody wants to hear it, because it doesn't fit into their nice, neat tiny little package of THEORY, tied-up with a bow.

I have never attended a reenactment of any kind, but I would love to do so. In Utah, we have many more Mountain Man Rendezvous gatherings. Because Lincoln and Buchanan weren't too keen on the Mormons in the Utah Territory, we were quite militarized early.

I have seven Revolutionary War ancestors, and it would be fun to attend one of their reenactments, too.

Three of my ancestors served in the Civil War; one a Union soldier and the other two, Confederate soldiers. The Union soldier and one of the Confederate soldiers were POWs. The Union POW must have been incarcerated at Camp Sumter (AKA Andersonville Prison) because, later in their lives, his wife was found guilty of conspiring to kill him or killing him (there was little evidence to confirm much of the murder). In any case, a witness described how her husband had hit his wife which caused her to say, "that is the last time you will ever hurt me again!" That night, he was shot in his bed.

Sooo, it would be difficult for me to get much enjoyment out of recreating the Civil War, myself. That is why I stick to learning about my Revolutionary ancestors. But, I do respect those descendants of Civil War soldiers, black and white.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2017, 10:13 am

cyberdad wrote:
Misslizard wrote:
I'm also from a part of the South that didn't have many slaves,the Ozarks.Just poor hill folk for the most part.Most came here from Appalachia.This area had about as many Union supporters as Confederates.While the big issue was slavery,in this small area it was secession

I think what people (including those living in the south today) don't take into account is moral relativity of the time. During the pre-civil war era you did not have to own a slave in the south to associate slaves as "private property" rather than human beings. It was simply part of the culture of the time. You can tell this is embarrassing to southerners who in their numerous reenactments and recreation of the "antebellum" south (including civil war reenactments) there is a fairly deliberate attempt to never include African Americans because the only way southerners think of African Americans is as slaves (despite the fact there were plenty of AAs who fought on the side of the confederacy and Union)

The Villines family that settled this county did have one slave.She was called Aunt Piety by all and was buried in the family plot next to her " owners".She was considered part of the family,not private property.Certainly not justifying slavery,but that she was viewed as a human being.
I'm a Southerner and I know very well that all African Americans were not just slaves.That is insulting to just lump us all together like that.And some Southerners fought for the Union.My Great-great grandpa drew a Union pension.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2017, 6:28 pm

Ok I stand corrected (slinks off quietly)....

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2017, 9:29 pm

BuyerBeware wrote:
Go ahead and celebrate the perceived victory.

If I thought it would do anything to advance racial equality, I'd be all behind it.

But-- It's about feelings, it's about political correctness, it's about theater. Making a statement.

When you start erasing history and worrying about "making a statement," very bad things tend to follow.

So-- go ahead and celebrate. Heady feeling, being on the forefront of a cultural revolution. Heady days. Enjoy them while they last.

EXACTLY!! YAAAAAY, for thinking people!!

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2017, 9:49 pm

AspieUtah wrote:
Sooo, it would be difficult for me to get much enjoyment out of recreating the Civil War, myself.

Yeah, I can see how it COULD be a bummer----but, here's the thing..... First-of-all, as I'm sure you know, we often make-out better, when we take the bull by the horns (meaning, in this sense, to face, head-on, what could be unpleasant for us). Secondly, you never know, it could be like a COSPLAY, if you ever got into that----or, aren't you a big Halloween fan----and, you'd be so focused on the details (Aspies LIVE for details LOL), that you wouldn't even be thinking about your ancestors (maybe, when you got home, and were going-back over all the happenings of the day; but, then you'd be alone to ruminate, freely).

You'd LOVE it!! Go, and find the men who are talking about the details of their uniform, and stuff----and, they'll tell you everything they know, about the Civil War, and it's ALOT; and, then they'll tell you about what you're about to see, and ways their going to move / progress, and stuff----that's what I always do, cuz I just can't learn enough and could listen to them talk, all-day!!

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2017, 9:56 pm

cyberdad wrote:

I don't know to whom you were specifically speaking----but, regardless, I just wanted to say that I really appreciate your posting this.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2017, 11:47 pm

Campin_Cat wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

I don't know to whom you were specifically speaking----but, regardless, I just wanted to say that I really appreciate your posting this.

I guess you are right, there are limits to the PC stuff

Silver_Meteor
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2020, 11:44 pm

Actually slavery was in the North as well (though not as embedded as in the South).
http://slavenorth.com/

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2020, 11:45 pm

Necrothread....