Can the word "stimming" apply to individuals without ASD?

Page 2 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2017, 6:07 pm

If a "stimming"-type movement is done for purposes of soothing and calming, and is at least somewhat involuntary, then it's "stimming," no matter if the person is autistic or not.

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2017, 6:36 pm

Kraftie, do you mean sub-conciously? I have involuntary movements, and I promise you that they aren't stimming.

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

Current Interests: Stampy Cat, AGT, and Medicine

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2017, 6:40 pm

Right. Some involuntary movements aren't stimming.

But if the movements are provoked by stress, and they help calm you down, they're probably stimming.

The "purpose" of stimming is to lessen sensory overload, usually, and to calm/soothe a person.

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2017, 6:42 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Right. Some involuntary movements aren't stimming.

But if the movements are provoked by stress, and they help calm you down, they're probably stimming.

The "purpose" of stimming is to lessen sensory overload, usually, and to calm/soothe a person.

Yeah- I agree. But I have tics as well as stims, and they seem the same but are very different. Stimming is to help me calm down/soothe, while my tics just "come out" and they actually make me more stressed. :D

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2017, 6:48 pm

Tics are involuntary, and cause distress.

Stims are at least somewhat involuntary, though there might be a voluntary element to some of them. And the "purpose" is to soothe and calm.

Like you said.

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2017, 6:51 pm

I get what you mean. Like a lot of the time I don't say to myself, "Ok I'm in a noisy cafeteria, I'll start rocking and humming." I just do it, and a lot of the time I have found myself doing it subconsciously. Tics are a lot different than that! :D

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2017, 6:53 pm

I believe tics and stims are somewhat related, actually.

I believe both are caused by sensory overstimulation.

I believe tics are wholly involuntary; whereas stims could have a voluntary element to them.

I'm "repeating myself," I suppose.

But I'm sort of hashing out the differences in my mind.

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2017, 7:16 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:

I believe tics are wholly involuntary; whereas stims could have a voluntary element to them.

Tics for me are caused by too much dopamine in my brain. Whenever I get excited/stressed, for some reason my brain can't process those chemicals that get released in my brain (dopamine/serotonin/adrenaline), so I get tics. I don't have to be overstimulated to get them, though.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2017, 7:30 pm

No I say, NO! Stimming is OUR word!!

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2017, 7:31 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:

I think verbal stimming and verbal tics are very similar.

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2017, 7:35 pm

EzraS wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

Yeah, except verbal tics aren't "wanted."

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2017, 7:40 pm

StampySquiddyFan wrote:
EzraS wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

I don't get what you mean by "wanted".

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2017, 7:44 pm

EzraS wrote:
StampySquiddyFan wrote:
EzraS wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

I don't get what you mean by "wanted".

For example, a verbal tic could be repeating something someone said. But that isn't "voluntary" or a way of coping with stress- it is completely involuntary and you don't control your vocal muscles when you repeat it. It makes you more stressed, not less stressed.

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2017, 10:20 am

Damn, there are quite a few new replies here now. 8O

So, what I’ve gathered is that stimming is something that is done to lower anxiety levels (often for sensory overload), and that rocking from side to side is common. Does this apply to emotional meltdowns? Say someone feels suddenly sad or stressed and they start panicking and flapping their hands, and they have to retreat somewhere quiet and private and start crying and rocking on the floor, would any of that behaviour be considered stimming? :?:

I’ve had times where I’ve started swaying and rocking when feeling overwhelmed, but I am usually conscious to remove myself from the situation before I reach that point because I don’t like others seeing me do that. These behaviours are often fairly conscious, so I am able to curb this urge until I am in private.

It’s also got me wondering about “tics” and what I’ve considered to be “tics” of my own, which might not be, idk. I’ve had some weird ones, like I used to say “bleach” to myself whenever I saw food I don’t like. But I’ve stopped doing that recently, I guess that’s more just a habit. I often act quite differently around others to how I act when I’m not being watched, I let some of the more weirder stuff out when I’m alone or around family.

There are levels, stuff I’d do in public, stuff I’d do only around close family, and stuff I’d only do around myself. Same with checking stuff, I make sure to only do this in a subtler manner when I’m around others, but when I’m alone I let my guard down and just check stuff like I normally would.

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2017, 10:25 am

Lost_dragon wrote:

So, what I’ve gathered is that stimming is something that is done to lower anxiety levels (often for sensory overload), and that rocking from side to side is common. Does this apply to emotional meltdowns? Say someone feels suddenly sad or stressed and they start panicking and flapping their hands, and they have to retreat somewhere quiet and private and start crying and rocking on the floor, would any of that behaviour be considered stimming? :?:

I’ve had times where I’ve started swaying and rocking when feeling overwhelmed, but I am usually conscious to remove myself from the situation before I reach that point because I don’t like others seeing me do that. These behaviours are often fairly conscious, so I am able to curb this urge until I am in private.

It’s also got me wondering about “tics” and what I’ve considered to be “tics” of my own might not be, idk. I’ve had some weird ones, like I used to say “bleach” to myself whenever I saw food I don’t like. But I’ve stopped doing that recently, I guess that’s more just a habit. I often act quite differently around others to how I act when I’m not being watched, I let some of the more weirder stuff out when I’m alone or around family.

There are levels, stuff I’d do in public, stuff I’d do only around close family, and stuff I’d only do around myself. Same with checking stuff, I make sure to only do this in a subtler manner when I’m around others, but when I’m alone I let my guard down and just check stuff like I normally would.

Your tics could have actually been related to OCD. If the bleach thing was completely involuntary and you had no control over your voice when saying that word, then it could have been a tic. If you had some control but felt compelled to do it, it may have been a tic or a compulsion. I have to say certain things too, but most of the time I can easily see the difference between a tic and a compulsion (for me). OCD and tics are very related, so it could actually even be both! :D

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2017, 10:46 am

StampySquiddyFan wrote:
Lost_dragon wrote:

It’s also got me wondering about “tics” and what I’ve considered to be “tics” of my own might not be, idk. I’ve had some weird ones, like I used to say “bleach” to myself whenever I saw food I don’t like. But I’ve stopped doing that recently, I guess that’s more just a habit. I often act quite differently around others to how I act when I’m not being watched, I let some of the more weirder stuff out when I’m alone or around family.

Your tics could have actually been related to OCD. If the bleach thing was completely involuntary and you had no control over your voice when saying that word, then it could have been a tic. If you had some control but felt compelled to do it, it may have been a tic or a compulsion. I have to say certain things too, but most of the time I can easily see the difference between a tic and a compulsion (for me). OCD and tics are very related, so it could actually even be both! :D

I would say it's more of a heavy-compulsion, it was often something I did without giving it much thought when I was alone, but around others I was cautious not to say it. I used to feel the urge to say it and it would bug me when I didn't allow myself to. Mind you, I still feel the urge to do so occasionally.

Personally, I'd say I have what I like to call "heavy" and "light" compulsions. Light compulsions are minor things that are fairly easy to avoid doing, but still play on your mind. Heavy compulsions are things that I find quite difficult to avoid doing.