do you think playing an instrument will be a useless talent?

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

awkward facepalm
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2017, 3:12 pm

because in the near future everyone will be able to enjoy performing music on the instrument of their choice "automatic" no more manual?

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2017, 3:40 pm

Being able to stand and hold something such as a trumpet that "plays" through a built-in speaker does not make someone a musician, and I cannot imagine a day ever coming when there will be no need or desire for true musicians.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2017, 4:08 pm

Have you given thought to wanting to learn how to play a musical instrument?

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2017, 4:40 pm

I don't know. Are my talents for drawing cartoons and write stories useless now, too? :(

awkward facepalm
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2017, 5:05 pm

i hate that i can't play any instrument. i hope it becomes a useless talent soon

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2017, 8:40 pm

because in the near future everyone will be able to enjoy performing music on the instrument of their choice "automatic" no more manual?
________________________________________________________________________________

what is the definition of "useless"? musicians that perform on the street, and earn $$ from bystanders for busking. if someone pays for the musician to do it, it ain't "useless". but, then you have to be more specific. like how much money does it have to earn for it to not be "useless".

with more technology, it is less necessary to have live musicians performing. but some things, like improvisation, are hard for technology to take over.

and of course, you have to be specific. who is playing the instrument, for what purpose, and when?

if you are not a professional musician and you play for your personal enjoyment, then you could claim that it is not "useless", in that it reduces your blood pressure. (fine). but does the effort make it worth the product?

likewise with drawing cartoons and writing stories. depends on what kind of use you are trying to make of them. depends on if you are successful at what you are trying to do.

in 5th grade, my precious lil "parents" made me take clarinet lessons for 6 months with a creepy old dude that laid his filthy paws on my worthless corpse. in 8th grade, did band at school. in 9th grade, went to 2 weeks of marching band. wanted to play trombone. but the Japanese class I wanted to take was at the same time. so took Japanese instead.

quite frankly, fantasize that playing some musical instruments would be cool. but just not worth the effort. have to pay for the instrument, lessons. have to drag it around. have to practice somewhere.

on the other hand, for the past ten years and counting, I have not particularly wanted to do anything. so maybe if I wanted to do something. motivated. inspired. goals. intention. passion. hobby. interest.

maybe if I did want to do something, a musical instrument might be it.

but whatever. it costs too much money anyways. and besides, youtube contains plenty of music much better than I could ever play. and all it takes is clicking on it.