Page 3 of 5 [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

shadexiii
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2007, 4:19 pm

The legel of grammar and correct spelling on here is pretty varied. Some are absolute sticklers about it. Others, posts littered with 2, u, and so on. Some find a balance. Only the ones on the lazy end of that spectrum irritate me.

Error
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

25 May 2007, 6:19 pm

I think it probably is directly related to AS in most cases. I know I've always been very particular about what I say and how I say it when writing/typing. Bugs the living hell out of some people when I use words that maybe aren't the most common vernacular. Others dig it. I know an old friend of mine would gripe at me pretty often for using words in conversation that in didn't think necessary. I thought they were. I mean, if any given word more accurately conveys what I'm attempting to get across I use it. Another, more common, word might serve the purpose. But if the less common word is more descriptive I use that one. Even my wife gets aggravated sometimes when I'm inclined to using some flowery speech.

I've always had a knack for spelling. I think that's probably a facet of the AS memory factor. I have an excellent memory in general and can relate to an earlier post about early memories. I can remember things from when I was in the crib, still crawling, and without any language ability. But anyways.

I have a compulsion to use punctuation. That's not to say I don't use it incorrectly many times. If a part of a written passage 'feels' like it needs a comma in whatever place I put it there.

I did read that AS inclined individuals often were "masters of the written word". Wish I was a master of the spoken word.

tomart
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 May 2007, 9:42 pm

likedcalico wrote:
So I use spellcheck on Microsoft Word because I don't want to take the time to proof read

I can't type slow and keep the person waiting as we chat. That's why we use lol, ttyl, np, sry, gtg, u, r, etc. because it's quicker.

You can often tell when spellcheck has been used because the 'wrong' words appear, spelled correctly; like their, they're and there [thanks Sedaka!]

Yeah, let it flow and have fun, as long as you both know the code. (I know most of those, but what's sry? And richardbenson, what's "H@XoR Ur f0rMz"?)

nutbag wrote:
no one currently alive knows how to properly employ the semicolon.

I use it quite often; for me, it divides clauses which are part of the same idea (sentence) but would be separated by a break in conversational discourse. :) Perhaps they should be separate sentences but what the heck; I think articulate people can express themselves without grammar lawyers intervening... ya know? Dig what I'm sayin?

Last edited by tomart on 25 May 2007, 10:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

tomart
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 May 2007, 9:46 pm

Error wrote:
If a part of a written passage 'feels' like it needs a comma in whatever place I put it there.

That's the spirit! I also have a spelling knack, but a lousy memory in general (even before SSRIs...)
Error wrote:
But if the less common word is more descriptive I use that one. Even my wife gets aggravated sometimes when I'm inclined to using some flowery speech.

What if Shakespeare's wife was like that?????

...Hey, is this a funny coincidence? At the bottom of my page, this ad appeared:
"An Asperger Dictionary of Everyday Expressions
Addressing an important aspect of social communication for people with Asperger Syndrome, who use direct, precise language and 'take things literally', this dictionary of..."
:D

Last edited by tomart on 25 May 2007, 10:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.

tomart
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 May 2007, 9:58 pm

ainvar wrote:
I'm American, but I was always told to put the comma in during grade school, and during college, my professors told me that I do not need to put the comma in there.

See, that's my view on rules: they change, so just relax; what's the diff? Language IS just an exchange of symbols, after all, n'est-ce pas? Was it 'proper' to use both colon and semi in my 1st sentence? I don't really care, since I found out the best writers break the rules when it suits them, and that's how languages change. If they didn't, we'd all be speaking Latin.

Cogito, ergo doleo (I think, therefore I am depressed)

Last edited by tomart on 25 May 2007, 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gwenevyn
l'esprit de l'escalier
l'esprit de l'escalier

25 May 2007, 10:17 pm

That is the best latin phrase ever!

Error

25 May 2007, 10:31 pm

tomart wrote:
ainvar wrote:
I'm American, but I was always told to put the comma in during grade school, and during college, my professors told me that I do not need to put the comma in there.

See, that's my view on rules: they change, so just relax; what's the diff? Language IS just an exchange of symbols, after all. Was it 'proper' to use both colon and semi in my 1st sentence? I don't really care, since I found out the best writers break the rules when it suits them, and that's how languages change. If they didn't, we'd all be speaking Latin.

Cogito, ergo doleo (I think, therefore I am depressed)

Hehe. You'd have a helluva time debating that with that Skrunk guy. I think that was his name. Anyhow, T.S. Elliot had this guy as an English professor (if I'm not mistaken) and actually compiled all of his rules of grammatical etiquette into a short book. Was actually pretty interesting to read. Shame I can't follow. :) I put 'em where I feel like they belong. Screw the system, LOL. Happy to read you like to revolt also.

tomart
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 May 2007, 10:35 pm

gwenevyn wrote:

ty (thank you!) 8)
Aio, exercitorem linguae Latinae proprium habeo. (Yes, I have a personal Latin trainer.) Volo ut syntaxis mea splendescat in litore, veniente aestate. (I want to get my syntax into shape for the beach this summer.) [Really, they're from a book - shh! don't tell anyone!] :lol:

Error wrote:
Screw the system, LOL. Happy to read you like to revolt also.

Viva la revolucion! (Someone correct my Spanish spelling, please)

Error

25 May 2007, 10:50 pm

tomart wrote:
gwenevyn wrote:

ty (thank you!) 8)
Aio, exercitorem linguae Latinae proprium habeo. (Yes, I have a personal Latin trainer.) Volo ut syntaxis mea splendescat in litore, veniente aestate. (I want to get my syntax into shape for the beach this summer.) [Really, they're from a book - shh! don't tell anyone!] :lol:

Error wrote:
Screw the system, LOL. Happy to read you like to revolt also.

Viva la revolucion! (Someone correct my Spanish spelling, please)

I think that's cool as hell insofar as you taking Latin. I mean, it's the root of practically all European languages including our own. Suffixes, prefixes, just about everything and anything. All harking back to that practically extinct language. But that's sorta the hangup I'd have over taking Latin. It's not very practical anymore. I suffered two years of Spanish in high school and about all I have to show for it is the ability to say the pledge of allegiance and "Aye carumba! Es muy caliente in la casa!" Linguistics seem to be a strong point for many Aspies. Just not myself. I was often complimented for intonation when speaking it though. Obviously you're holding onto your studies quite well, however. :)

nicklegends
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 May 2007, 11:31 pm

I don't care how well a person spells words or punctuates as long as I can tell they took time with their post. That definitely happens a lot here, which I'm thankful for. :)

LostInSpace
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2007, 1:47 am

Error wrote:
I think that's cool as hell insofar as you taking Latin. I mean, it's the root of practically all European languages including our own. Suffixes, prefixes, just about everything and anything. All harking back to that practically extinct language.

Technically no, actually. English is a Germanic languages, and does not descend from Latin. The Romance languages are the descendents of Latin. However, due to the Norman invasion of England, a lot of Romance loanwords ended up in English, which is why you can find so many Latin roots. Actually, the only languages descended from Latin are: Catalan, French, Italian, Portuguese, Provencal, Romansch, Romanian, Spanish and Galician. Germanic, Celtic, Hellenic, Slavic, Indo-Iranian, Baltic, and Armenian languages are related to Romance languages only through the mother of them all, Proto-Indo-European (that is, the mother of them all except for Basque, which may not be an Indo-European language).

Sorry for the nitpicking- I was a linguistics major!

LostInSpace
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2007, 1:52 am

tomart wrote:
ainvar wrote:
I don't really care, since I found out the best writers break the rules when it suits them, and that's how languages change.

Except that languages evolve through speech, not through writing. Writers may introduce new vocabulary, but they are not going to change the syntax or pronunciation in any significant way, which are the true sources of fundamental language change. Anyway, whether a writer uses a semi-colon or not in their writing is not going to have any effect on the language itself.

PLA
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2007, 1:57 am

I try to keep it tidy, but I'm no longer militant about it, and after reading a shelf of linguistics-oriented essays - of which I recommend S. I. Hayakawa's "Language in Action" - ; I don't to a full extent believe in The One True Way anymore.

"Everyone loves the dolphin. A bitter shark - emerging from it's cold depths - doesn't stand a chance." This is hyperbol.

"Run, Jump, Fall, Limp off, Try Harder."

Error

26 May 2007, 5:52 pm

LostInSpace wrote:
Error wrote:
I think that's cool as hell insofar as you taking Latin. I mean, it's the root of practically all European languages including our own. Suffixes, prefixes, just about everything and anything. All harking back to that practically extinct language.

Technically no, actually. English is a Germanic languages, and does not descend from Latin. The Romance languages are the descendents of Latin. However, due to the Norman invasion of England, a lot of Romance loanwords ended up in English, which is why you can find so many Latin roots. Actually, the only languages descended from Latin are: Catalan, French, Italian, Portuguese, Provencal, Romansch, Romanian, Spanish and Galician. Germanic, Celtic, Hellenic, Slavic, Indo-Iranian, Baltic, and Armenian languages are related to Romance languages only through the mother of them all, Proto-Indo-European (that is, the mother of them all except for Basque, which may not be an Indo-European language).

Sorry for the nitpicking- I was a linguistics major!

No, no! Not at all unhappy to be corrected. You've perked my interest. Though I never had a great interest in studying linguistics, I always was one to wish I had fluency another language.

I would have been prepared to challenge you with how and why there are as many Latin roots in our language to not be a descendant. You wrapped that up nicely for me. Anyhow, I'm curious enough to research a bit on what you say. Thanks. :)

Uncertain-Late
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 May 2007, 5:18 am

People here are cool! :o
It's always lovely to find humans who are capable of spelling words in their own native language, although English makes little actual sense to me.

I am usually very pedantic about this kind of thing - read any of my posts :P. I use all punctuative characters whenever possible, and words generally have to be EXACTLY correct because I am almost literally incapable of substituting them for "lesser" words. Mild slang is acceptable, but only when genuine and spelled properly. This is also the case when I'm speaking. Makes it even more difficult to carry on a conversation when I'm trying to get across a complex point to someone and my mind is blanking and I can't remember normal words, let alone whatever rare lexical gem I've determined to excavate from the murky recessed caveats of my deepest mind. I love long, colourful sentences like that, they're like an advanced form of poetic art or something.

Also, even when I get everything right, it often turns out that the words don't actually mean what I think they do, which is weird. :D

gwenevyn
l'esprit de l'escalier
l'esprit de l'escalier

29 May 2007, 5:24 am

Uncertain-Late wrote:
... words generally have to be EXACTLY correct because I am almost literally incapable of substituting them for "lesser" words.

Boy, do I identify with that at times, when typing or writing.

I suspect I sound like a complete airhead 90% of the time when I speak aloud though.