Page 3 of 5 [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

MomofTom
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2007, 8:47 pm

ainvar wrote:
MomofTom wrote:
By the way, the word "cuz" is like nails on a chalkboard. It scared me to see a classmate put use that word in a paper she was going to turn in for a grade. :roll:

How do you feel about "cuz" used as a term of affection for a cousin? I know it's still not something you should put directly a formal paper, but I was just curious if it evokes the same degree of...::shudders::...sorry, the thought of nails on a chalkboard makes my fingers hurt =(

I have not heard of "cuz" being used that way. Hey, I just learned something new today! It does not give me the same reaction, especially if it is spoken.

Sedaka
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2007, 9:07 pm

MomofTom wrote:
ainvar wrote:
MomofTom wrote:
By the way, the word "cuz" is like nails on a chalkboard. It scared me to see a classmate put use that word in a paper she was going to turn in for a grade. :roll:

How do you feel about "cuz" used as a term of affection for a cousin? I know it's still not something you should put directly a formal paper, but I was just curious if it evokes the same degree of...::shudders::...sorry, the thought of nails on a chalkboard makes my fingers hurt =(

I have not heard of "cuz" being used that way. Hey, I just learned something new today! It does not give me the same reaction, especially if it is spoken.

for me, it's one thing where you're in an environment and just talking.... like here.....

but if i ever ever ever ever ever saw that crap in a paper that i'm grading.................. bad day for that student. class work written assignements is not the place for that

got free science papers?

www.pubmed.gov
www.sciencedirect.com
http://highwire.stanford.edu/lists/freeart.dtl

nutbag
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2007, 11:28 pm

I have a tendency toward proper grammar and punctuation, except in the use of the semicolon; no one currently alive knows how to properly employ the semicolon.

cynicism occurs immediately upon pressing your brain's start button

LostInSpace
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2007, 12:44 am

nutbag wrote:
I have a tendency toward proper grammar and punctuation, except in the use of the semicolon; no one currently alive knows how to properly employ the semicolon.

Don't you put a semicolon between two non-subordinate clauses not connected by a conjunction? For instance:

"He liked to play baseball; he enjoyed basketball as well."

versus

"He liked to play baseball and basketball."

or

"He liked to play baseball, when he wasn't playing basketball."

nuttycanuck
Butterfly
Butterfly

25 May 2007, 1:30 am

my spelling isn't great and I sometimes get lazy with the precise use of punctuation, but I hate it when people "rite lik dis, lolz", the use of "u" for "you" annoys me greatly.

AOL speak gives me gas.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2007, 1:55 am

Semicolon is used for speech when either side of it is "related" to some extent; I'm guessing that this is its correct use.... (Note the fourth decimal when ending a sentence with dots, it’s three dots when used in place of a comma; dots can be used with commas too to break it up even further.)

It’s also used like this when I’m discussing the things I enjoy: running away, screaming silently and fighting fear; sword fighting, reading and writing…, it’s there to separate my interests into two (or more) distinct groups.

Don't listen to me though; I had the lowest grades in English during senior. :)

E: I forgot to add: semicolons can be used to extend a sentence past the usual length as long as you add something related on the other side of its placement. O yeah, when you use a semicolon instead of a comma you're accentuating the proceeding thingee and comparing it to the preceding thingee rather than just running along with the preceding thingee.

Last edited by Danielismyname on 25 May 2007, 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

coolstertothecore
Toucan
Toucan

25 May 2007, 3:31 am

The only time I use "u r" for "you are" is when writing text messages because I am poor and can't afford to waste an extra 10p. Although if I text somebody that I only know formally, or my grandma, I will type out full words. I think I used to use textspeak on MSN messenger as well but I never use it anymore.

My boyfriend will quite happily e-mail his uni tutor using no capital letters, apostrophes or commas. I usually add them for him because it infuriates me.

I feel that some text speak must be harder to type than just spelling things correctly. But then spelling things correctly has always come naturally to me so maybe not so for other people.

Cernunnos
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2007, 4:19 am

LostInSpace wrote:
I know that when I first started posting on message boards I was paranoid that I would sound stupid or childish, and I would proofread my posts obsessively. Has anyone else experienced something similar?

:lol: I still proof read everything I post 3 or 4 times before committing it. I also check all my spelling carefully, even though I know that there are two or three types of English being used on the board.

This is where I find that I've spelt everything wrong in this message and left it full of appalling grammar :roll: .

I hate it when my boss corrects my English at work. Once I had a first draft returned with a load of corrections (to the English, not the content). Having "corrected" it, I sent it back, and he returned it with all the English corrected again, mostly to what I had originally.

LostInSpace
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2007, 10:39 am

Danielismyname wrote:
Note the fourth decimal when ending a sentence with dots, it’s three dots when used in place of a comma; dots can be used with commas too to break it up even further.

That's interesting- I hadn't known that there were rules for dots, except for of course the rules for quoting part of an utterance (3 dots if you're leaving out part of a sentence, 4 dots if you're leaving out entire sentences).

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2007, 10:47 am

LostInSpace wrote:
That's interesting- I hadn't known that there were rules for dots, except for of course the rules for quoting part of an utterance (3 dots if you're leaving out part of a sentence, 4 dots if you're leaving out entire sentences).

Yes..., there are rules for pretty much everything that has been thought of due to humanity’s wish to control its environment through...stupidity? Well, that’s what I think anyway....

Some people like putting spaces here ... over there also... .

nutbag
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2007, 11:28 am

I have a distaste for the semicolon; I am not certain how to use it. It seems to me that there are several ways to use the semicolon; to initiate a listing of items separated by commas, to separate two subjunctive clauses, incorrectly.

cynicism occurs immediately upon pressing your brain's start button

blessedmom
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2007, 11:32 am

maldoror wrote:
I think it's just something that comes along with a decent intelligence. Most of us are aware of the fact that if you type like this nobody is going to bother reading the entire thing because it's so easy to get lost or lose the train of thought that you are trying to express and thus it is a wasted post and you might as well not be posting in the first place in fact if you type like this regularly it would probably be best if you avoided expressing your opinions whenever possible

:lol: :lol:

steelback
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 May 2007, 3:57 pm

I do have a hangup for punctuation and grammatical errors. I absolutely despise the inappropriate use of the apostrophe to indicate a plural noun. Here's something new I've started to see far too often: people who use the word "lead" as a past-tense verb. It's spelled L-E-D, people!! ! :x (I am also addicted to parentheses.)

shadexiii
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2007, 4:19 pm

The legel of grammar and correct spelling on here is pretty varied. Some are absolute sticklers about it. Others, posts littered with 2, u, and so on. Some find a balance. Only the ones on the lazy end of that spectrum irritate me.

Error
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

25 May 2007, 6:19 pm

I think it probably is directly related to AS in most cases. I know I've always been very particular about what I say and how I say it when writing/typing. Bugs the living hell out of some people when I use words that maybe aren't the most common vernacular. Others dig it. I know an old friend of mine would gripe at me pretty often for using words in conversation that in didn't think necessary. I thought they were. I mean, if any given word more accurately conveys what I'm attempting to get across I use it. Another, more common, word might serve the purpose. But if the less common word is more descriptive I use that one. Even my wife gets aggravated sometimes when I'm inclined to using some flowery speech.

I've always had a knack for spelling. I think that's probably a facet of the AS memory factor. I have an excellent memory in general and can relate to an earlier post about early memories. I can remember things from when I was in the crib, still crawling, and without any language ability. But anyways.

I have a compulsion to use punctuation. That's not to say I don't use it incorrectly many times. If a part of a written passage 'feels' like it needs a comma in whatever place I put it there.

I did read that AS inclined individuals often were "masters of the written word". Wish I was a master of the spoken word.

tomart
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 May 2007, 9:42 pm

likedcalico wrote:
So I use spellcheck on Microsoft Word because I don't want to take the time to proof read

I can't type slow and keep the person waiting as we chat. That's why we use lol, ttyl, np, sry, gtg, u, r, etc. because it's quicker.

You can often tell when spellcheck has been used because the 'wrong' words appear, spelled correctly; like their, they're and there [thanks Sedaka!]

Yeah, let it flow and have fun, as long as you both know the code. (I know most of those, but what's sry? And richardbenson, what's "H@XoR Ur f0rMz"?)

nutbag wrote:
no one currently alive knows how to properly employ the semicolon.

I use it quite often; for me, it divides clauses which are part of the same idea (sentence) but would be separated by a break in conversational discourse. :) Perhaps they should be separate sentences but what the heck; I think articulate people can express themselves without grammar lawyers intervening... ya know? Dig what I'm sayin?

Last edited by tomart on 25 May 2007, 10:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.