Brevard Sheriff: Arm Yourself In Case Of Attack

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

SH90
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2017, 12:04 am

Arm yourself in case of attack, Brevard Sheriff says

Quote:
Brevard County's sheriff is urging residents to arm themselves to prepare for and defend themselves from an attack."No matter who you are or what your position is on guns, there's no denying the fact that the only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun or a knife is an armed and well-prepared citizen or law enforcement officer," Sheriff Wayne Ivey says in a new, 5-minute video posted on the Sheriff's Office Facebook page.

As he's done in the past, Ivey doesn't mince words about terrorism and ongoing violence in the U.S. and around the world."Let me be perfectly clear: Doing nothing, or just hoping it won't happen to you, is not going to save your life," Ivey says.The sheriff mentions recent attacks such as London, and Pulse, saying the U.S., Central Florida and Brevard County are not immune."I am firmly convinced, as Americans, we cannot sit back and pray the fight isn't brought to us," he says."We can't react; we have to respond," Ivey told News 13.

Ivey said terrorists know that people have been coached to run and hide and wait for help."We went away from 'run, hide, fight.' We teach the four A's of survival," Ivey said: Arm yourself, attack, awareness, avoidance.The bottom line, according to the sheriff: Whatever weapon you choose, gun, knife, chair — be ready to act."Be prepared; understand that this could happen at any minute," he tells us."

If you have a concealed carry permit, then carry your gun with you at all times possible."As of Friday afternoon, Ivey's video had more than 125,000 views.

ZenDen
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2017, 1:25 pm

This sounds a lot like what they teach Boy Scouts. I think it applies, not only to guns/terrorism, but everyday life. If you try to prepare you'll be worlds ahead in the end.

SH90
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2017, 3:12 pm

ZenDen wrote:
This sounds a lot like what they teach Boy Scouts. I think it applies, not only to guns/terrorism, but everyday life. If you try to prepare you'll be worlds ahead in the end.

Pretty good summary. I keep AAA and jumper cables (and tools) in my truck. I don't intend to break down, but I want to be prepared to help myself or someone else... No reason to not be prepared for a possible attack. I don't carry a gun on a daily bases. But I carry a small fixed blade on my weak side. I mostly use it to cut things open, but it could be used for defense.

ZenDen
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2017, 8:40 am

Nice to see someone thinking ahead.

For me the care depends on the scenario. If in large groups (that seems to be the preferred choice for terrorist, and other, people planning on ruining your day) I increase my care. My confidence in my capabilities with an edged weapon have diminished with age, however, so I must depend on others as well (such as Mr. Smith and Mr. Wesson) for personal protection.

Practice frequently and take extreme care. There's nothing more pathetic than having to say you're sorry because of carelessness.

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2017, 10:51 am

Why does he bother to mention his oath (ie. Oath Keeper), then say you need a natural rights permit.

Of which I am aware, the gun stores are intended to service praetors, only -- at least, in my blue state. If you go in there, looking like a Beverly Hillbilly, you're a persona non grata.

They will give social promotions to radical interests, however, then regard the source of terrorism as a mystery. I think of social undesirables in the same respect as Eric Holder's guns, or Freeway Rick Ross' drugs. Bullies exist, because they have a hand-up. People have wanted to use me for a bully.

There is such a thing as a social undesirable -- when they are not desired by formal interests.

And, from experience, when you settle a dispute with brute force, the praetor, businessman, or apartment owner, won't know which is the criminal. If you do what the sheriff says, but without being deputized, he will hold you under a presumption of guilt; maybe, you didn't pay the duty. Maybe, it is mutual, and you are just two bad guys. Maybe, you happened upon a war game.

Visiting one post-Communist, Eastern European country, a vulgar tv chef, by the name of Tony Bourdain, noted, martial law had never formally been declared. There just were drills in the commons. Would you be allowed to practice the sheriff's advice, under a state of siege. Not at Boston or Katrina.

Wayne Ivey is not in uniform, covered in patches, under the color of authority, talking so seriously, because he expects some populist whitelash. It is addressed solely to state interests. When I went to jury duty, it was asked who was a policeman, or related to police, etc. I believe the discussion is geared toward those people, probably with some govt credentials. I don't think Ivey is talking to civilians, as a matter of Murphy's Law.

Then, when people-in-uniform use force, they are also under suspicion. He has left out something vitally important.

Last edited by friedmacguffins on 14 Jun 2017, 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2017, 11:15 am

Quote:
Brevard County's sheriff...

...mentions recent attacks such as London, and Pulse...

Carrying a firearm would have done nothing for any of the people there, and you are better off with none at all unless your are well-prepared to pull the trigger immediately after drawing it from your holster. Displaying a weapon in the face of a criminal with a weapon will likely get you shot unless you knock him or her down first.

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2017, 11:23 am

Quote:
unless your are well-prepared

The Iceman Killer got his name, because he did it, casually -- lots of times.

What, in your opinion, is preparedness, if not comportment. It's a simple machine.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2017, 11:28 am

A firearm is exactly like a fire extinguisher (both stop emerging threats to yourself or others). Would anyone hesitate to "pull the trigger" on an extinguisher if needed? The sheriff was correct.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2017, 11:45 am

friedmacguffins wrote:
Quote:

What, in your opinion, is preparedness...

There are many elements of being prepared to actually use a firearm for self-defense, and the bottom line is to be able to draw-and-shoot in one smooth move without hesitation -- just like with a fire extinguisher -- and without breaking any laws and subjecting oneself to criminal prosecution...and even well-trained police officers occasionally end up shooting someone who was not actually holding a gun and could not have caused any serious harm. Anyone who shoots someone with a gun had better be able to actually prove self-defense justification, not merely make the claim.

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2017, 11:50 am

AspieUtah wrote:
A firearm is exactly like a fire extinguisher (both stop emerging threats to yourself or others). Would anyone hesitate to "pull the trigger" on an extinguisher if needed? The sheriff was correct.

I know that your question was meant as rhetoric, but the vast majority of people would hesitate.

I have removed a fire extinguisher, from my house, on seeing a fire, across the street, so can answer, literally.

The answer is that NT's will delay you, because of *their emotional difficulties or lack of purpose.

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2017, 11:56 am

leejosepho wrote:

friedmacguffins wrote:
What, in your opinion, is preparedness...

leejosepho wrote:
without breaking any laws and subjecting oneself to criminal prosecution...

(facepalm)

The state holds a presumptive monopoly on force, and most other things.

So, there is, stereotypically, no lawful way to help yourself or other people.

In order to follow the sheriff's advice, you have to accept the onus, for breaking the law. There will be a stigma, and you have to make peace with that.

Again, police can't even shoot a criminal, without being subject to investigation. Soldiers, in a formally-declared theater of war, have been investigated.

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2017, 12:10 pm

friedmacguffins wrote:
The state holds a presumptive monopoly on force, and most other things.

That is irrelevant here, and no law is broken when self-defense (such as even police offers do) is properly carried out.

friedmacguffins wrote:
...police can't even shoot a criminal, without being subject to investigation. Soldiers, in a formally-declared theater of war, have been investigated.

Certainly, and then ultimately found guilty or innocent (if even prosecuted at all*) by the very same laws that apply to anyone. e.g. You may never shoot anyone who was not already pointing a deadly weapon at you, you can never shoot someone who is fleeing, etc., etc.
*Investigation into circumstances and prosecution are not the same thing.

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2017, 12:17 pm

Yes, you can go to jail for feeding soup to homeless people in a park, having a Bible study, in your living room, buying a lemon tree, or digging a well. Everything is illegal, unless you have express permission.

The sheriff wants you to think he is an altruist. He is, if you bought the license, have the qualification, or the permission. He is speaking on behalf of the state, not on behalf of moral free agency, not as your co-equal.

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2017, 12:21 pm

friedmacguffins wrote:
Everything is illegal, unless you have express permission.

Not true. There are certain inalienable rights protected from restriction, then laws come into play where others might be affected.

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2017, 12:31 pm

You get it --
commonlaw, a higher law, or natural rights
vs.
those privileges, conditionally granted to us.

Now, which version of the truth is supported by the sheriff, under the color of law. He can only tell you to use the formal, legal(istic) channels.

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2017, 3:39 pm

friedmacguffins wrote:
...which version of the truth is supported by the sheriff...

There is only one version, the truth, and the Sheriff is not even talking about what is truth and what is not. He is simply suggesting people exercise their personal rights to be prepared to defend themselves against attacks against their lives, liberties and property by bearing arms...and then he apparently also realizes (or at least believes) having all citizens armed can help discourage certain crimes before they ever happen.