Page 5 of 7 [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Davius
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

10 Oct 2005, 9:23 pm

I do the whole 'laughing-over-a-funny-thought-or-a-previous-event/joke' thing.

Can't say I've ever laughed inappropriately towards something serious or non-funny..although sometimes something funny and/or ironic is said during a conversation...and I always seem to be the only one who catches it.

One problem I have though is after something funny has been said or has happened, after it seems after everyone else is done laughing, I still find myself giggling, or chuckling and smiling about it, sometimes long after... I must appear to be ret*d or something. :roll:

Serissa
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2005, 3:48 pm

mikibacsi1124 wrote:

I think it could be an Aspie thing too, because it happens with me. In the past I used to get criticized by both my peers and my family for not being able to get over certain jokes and whatnot. Now, it still takes me a long time to get over them, but at least I'm now able to tell when everyone else is sick of them.

Well, Aspies don't get sick of things as quickly as NT's.

I for some reason still can't tell some of my stupidest jokes with a straight face. Example: What to you call a boomerang that doesn't come back? A stick. I'm grinning typing it, that stupid joke just doesn't stop being funny for me even though it's idiotic (actually, more likely it's because it's idiotic).

porkypunk
Butterfly
Butterfly

12 Oct 2005, 5:27 am

Serissa wrote:
Example: What to you call a boomerang that doesn't come back? A stick.

Thats one of my favourite jokes. It reminds me of:

Whats long and orange and sounds like a Parrot?

A carrot.

Serissa
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2005, 7:18 am

porkypunk wrote:

Thats one of my favourite jokes. It reminds me of:

Whats long and orange and sounds like a Parrot?

A carrot.

That's a great/horrible one too.

What's brown and sounds like a bell?

*DUNG*

ross
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

13 Oct 2005, 8:02 am

I have a habit of laughing and not being able to stop myself no matter how wrong laughing in any particular place might be. The worst time I can remember was in middle school when we were watching a really serious movie and somebody made a joke. I was laughing for an hour at the worst times possible because of something someone said. I looked like an idiot for doing it, but I was on a roll, so I couldn't stop. The people sitting at me were giving me odd looks long after the original comment was made, and we all ended up getting in trouble because of it. Funny how I only remember the bad memories from school, eh.

Sarcastic_Name
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2005, 1:35 pm

I've been getting into the habit of laughing at what other people are getting stressed over. I should never be a therapist.

AsianMom
Butterfly
Butterfly

13 Oct 2005, 7:14 pm

Same thing happened to my son yesterday: a classmate drew something funny and he couldn't stop laughing which drove those around him crazy. This makes him a real easy target for sabotage. :x

I stop the urge to laugh at inappropriate times by refocusing my thoughts on something else, especially something totally irrelevant or even worrying. Will this work for you?

Ante
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2005, 1:36 am

Deleted

Last edited by Ante on 09 Nov 2005, 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OffWithHerHead
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

14 Oct 2005, 12:53 pm

i smile when really bad thing happen and i laugh at what i find funny which usually is demented stuff so i get really odd looks

Knight-Errant
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Oct 2005, 3:47 pm

Oh thank goodness. It isn't just me then.

I have real giggling fits over things and don't get over funny moments as quickly as those around me. It's actually deeply embarassing, especially when I was inclined to laugh during a comedy play i was in.

Mind you, I did make it through 3 nights OK "whew"

SleepingDoofus
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

06 Nov 2005, 5:31 am

I laugh at anything that is socially ironic or inappropriate and I can't stop laughing.

Something like a waiter looking expectedly at a customer for a tip who doesn't give one, would crack me up big time.

Happeh
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Nov 2005, 12:35 am

eyeenteepee wrote:
Just had a close shave with my Mum...

I overheard my Mum telling my OH about something bad on the phone (I know that my Mum's step-mum is very ill) and assumed that I was about to be told that she had died.
Just as my OH went to pass the phone to me, I started to have a fit of giggles!!

I somehow managed to bring it back under control (although I'm fighting bursting into laughter just by thinking about it) and remain serious on the phone.

It turned out that the step-Grandmother (for want of a better term) has now only months to live. I'm glad Mum didn't actually tell me she had died, I think I would have laughed until it hurt...

How awful is this? I should be feeling sad but I'm struggling to hold back the tears...of laughter.

This is not the first time this has happenend to me either, I've been to funerals before and fought back stiffled laughter too.

I do feel a little guilty, but what can I do? It's an automatic reaction! :(

No one has common sense anymore.

You are laughing to release the stress of thinking someone might have died. That is what laughter is for. Stress release. There is nothing wrong with you. You get nervous/sad/scared thinking someone is dead. So your body naturally laughs. Laughter is heavy breathing right? Your body is getting extra oxygen by laughing so it can kill the stress you are feeling. The bodily shaking of the laughter is like a little baby massage that works the kinks and tension out of your body.

People think too much. So many things are a natural part of being human. You are not weird or anything. Because we live in a technological society, I think lots of people have forgotten what it means to be a human animal.

Happeh
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Nov 2005, 12:38 am

Ante wrote:
I laugh at unacceptable times sometimes. When my sister and her boyfriend are watching television with me I laugh at the way people talk dramatically on the news. It's only funny when certain people are there.

In a cinema I often laugh at rude and immature things. I laugh at prejudiced things that happen in films. When anything sexual happens I usually burst out laughing too which makes people stare at me as though I'm an immature weirdo. I also laugh at people who find it hard to speak because I find the sound of someone stumbling instinctively hilarious. I don't know what's up with me. :roll:

See my previous post. The various stimulii cause an energy surge in you. You laugh to allow the energy to escape out your mouth. Sex makes people nervous. You laugh to blow the nervous energy away from you.

Fiddler
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Nov 2005, 6:51 am

I managed to suppress a laugh at at a funeral recentely. (Hooray!)
The attendants were singing something about God being "mon puissant renfort". This means "my powerful strength/comfort/support" and obviously it has an oprtimistic meaning. But this phrase sounds exactly like "mon puit sans renfort", meaning "my propless pit", and it created in my mind the image of a pit that was collapsing. The meaning was totally different from what was originally intended.
I sort of breathed hard with my mouth, and the urge of laughing faded away, but I couldn't concentrate on what the minister was saying afterward.

Ryan
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

07 Nov 2005, 9:24 am

I laugh uncontrollably at internal thoughts such as something funny that happened earlier. For some reason i always laughed when people got in trouble or they did things they weren't supposed to.

hecate
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2005, 8:29 pm

there has been a few incidents where someone has been telling me something serious and i have laughed becuase i thought what they were saying was meant to be funny. :oops:

when i see or hear something that reminds me of something funny that happened i can't resist having a little chuckle to myself.

also, i am told that i laugh too loud at things that aren't funny enough to warrant such an extreme reaction.

sometimes i will laugh if i am under stress. the first time i remember myself doing this was when i was being told off at playschool. there were many other times during school that i had to fight the urge to laugh when i was being told off by a teacher. i thought i had gotten over this weird behaviour until recently, when it reared it's head again. i was in my first relationship and my boyfriend was annoyed because he thought i wasn't paying him enough attention. at the time, i was sitting in bed and i could tell just from the look on his face that he was upset. i began to feel the urge to laugh so i pulled the bed covers up to my eyes so he couldn't see my smile but he heard me giggle and he said "stop laughing at me!" and then he started to cry. when i saw his tears i couldn't hold the laughter in any longer- i just started laughing so hard i was almost crying myself! we had lots of other arguments that resulted in me fighting the urge to laugh and eventually we broke up (but not because of my inappropriate laughter).

my dad used to laugh at me when i was a kid, but now i am higher-functioning than he is, i laugh at him. he doesn't complain because he doesn't understand why i am laughing.