Page 6 of 7 [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Musical_Lottie
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2005, 1:37 pm

I laugh very, very easily (I'm often in hysterics) but often at the wrong times. Either that or I don't know whether I'm supposed to find something funny or not, so either way end up looking stupid. I also laugh when something reminds me of something funny that happened earlier, and I apparently laugh at immature things ... oops :oops: As of yet I've only been in trouble from it once (when I was sent out because I couldn't stop laughing - I'd been laughing for about 10 mins at that point.)

DarthSchizo
Butterfly
Butterfly

11 Nov 2005, 4:38 am

synchro wrote:
What happens with me is that I will often laugh out loud at internal thoughts. My laughter is entirely personal and usually no one else will find my thoughts humorous, so there is no point of sharing. So, people often think there is something wrong with me or that I am high on drugs.

If I am in a quiet place with strangers (i.e. a doctor’s office) and some random hilarity occurs in my mind, I will have great difficulty controlling my laughter.

lol. I do the same thing. Sometimes people will ask about what I'm laughing at and I will just tell them "nothing". I'm such an internal person that I'm constantly running thoughts, feelings, and situations through my head.

I also have nervous reaction that makes me want to smile or laugh when I hear something really bad. It sounds sadistic...but it makes me feel bad.

eyeenteepee
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Nov 2005, 4:43 am

Happeh wrote:
You are laughing to release the stress of thinking someone might have died. That is what laughter is for. Stress release. There is nothing wrong with you. You get nervous/sad/scared thinking someone is dead. So your body naturally laughs. Laughter is heavy breathing right? Your body is getting extra oxygen by laughing so it can kill the stress you are feeling. The bodily shaking of the laughter is like a little baby massage that works the kinks and tension out of your body.

People think too much. So many things are a natural part of being human. You are not weird or anything. Because we live in a technological society, I think lots of people have forgotten what it means to be a human animal.

I disagree. I don't know the person who might have died, nor do I care about them - it certainly didn't stress me. I don't see other people reacting in this way, so I'm not sure your very plausible explanation fits too well?

When there's been times that I have genuinely feared bad news, i.e. when my wife and son very nearly died, I didn't laugh then.

HarryofSheringham
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

11 Nov 2005, 2:34 pm

Does anyone else here, laugh almost uncontrollably when they are feeling uncomfortable or when they are feeling nervous? Or am i the only one.

Happeh
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Nov 2005, 3:18 pm

eyeenteepee wrote:
Happeh wrote:
You are laughing to release the stress of thinking someone might have died. That is what laughter is for. Stress release. There is nothing wrong with you. You get nervous/sad/scared thinking someone is dead. So your body naturally laughs. Laughter is heavy breathing right? Your body is getting extra oxygen by laughing so it can kill the stress you are feeling. The bodily shaking of the laughter is like a little baby massage that works the kinks and tension out of your body.

People think too much. So many things are a natural part of being human. You are not weird or anything. Because we live in a technological society, I think lots of people have forgotten what it means to be a human animal.

I disagree. I don't know the person who might have died, nor do I care about them - it certainly didn't stress me. I don't see other people reacting in this way, so I'm not sure your very plausible explanation fits too well?

When there's been times that I have genuinely feared bad news, i.e. when my wife and son very nearly died, I didn't laugh then.

There was a well known story in the newspaper. Someone forced a school class to go to the movies to see Schindlers list. The movie is about WWII and bad things. The class was made up of all black students.

During the movie, the students apparently laughed uproariously. This caused a commotion because the point in forcing them to see the movie was to make them sick, to make them feel bad about what was happening on the screen. No one understood why the black children laughed. They wanted to punish them or give them special classes or do something so that they got sick when they were supposed to. When viewing a disturbing movie like Schindler's list.

The reason the black students laughed was to stop themselves from getting sick. Instead of taking in the negativity and evil from the movie and storing it inside of them so they cried or became nervous or uncomfortable, they laughed and laughed and laughed to get rid of it. What those black kids did was the equivalent of diarhea. Ridding themselves of waste from within the body. Literally verbal diarheaa.

The natural way to relieve energy overpressure is to start laughing, crying hysterically, the kind where you breath real heavy, yelling or hollering angrily, or just plain old hyperventilating. Anything that moves large volumes of oxygen in and out of your lungs. Hyperventilating, crying and yelling in anger are not good for you. Laughter is good for you. The black kids chose laughter to get rid of the excess energy.

eyeenteepee
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Nov 2005, 3:26 pm

Oh, don't get me wrong. I think there could well be something in it.

Just in my case, that particular bout of giggles was when I was expecting bad news about someone I've met only a couple of times and really don't give a stuff about.

Perhaps it is a normal reaction. I guess a better example would be when I laughed at a club meeting when someone was talking about how the club chairman had nearly died in an accident. I thought he was joking - just missed all the cues that it was serious entirely. Honestly, I didn't feel stressed or anxious because I genuinely believed it was a joke. Does that count as inappropiate laughter?
If not, then please explain what does, because I'm getting confused now! :?

Twitch
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Nov 2005, 10:47 pm

I cannot control my laughter anymore than my tears. So often I am laughing about something that is purely internal, a real inside joke...Or something that strikes me as funny that others do not find funny. Out of place things for instance.

Some of the people at the shelter here have taken to calling me "Molly" after an autistic woman they saw on a TV movie. Because of that.

"In what concerns you much, do not think that you have companions: know that you are alone in the world."

Henry David Thoreau

Musical_Lottie
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2005, 8:44 pm

Having tried to find the new posts since last visiting this thread I came across a couple of interesting things that struck a chord. The idea of 'stored' laughter made sense to me, although with me it tends to be more because otherwise I'd be crying. I get most hysterical when I'm feeling more down than usual, when I'll have hysterics twice, three times per day. Also the point about laughing longer than everyone else because NTs get tired of things quicker than Aspies - that would explain a LOT, and I also feel completely stupid. And not laughing at comedy that you find funny - I do that. Then you laugh at something that no-one else finds funny - I was watching TV with my family, and laughed really loudly at something before seeing they weren't laughing at all. Surprisingly I didn't get weird looks, but I felt stupid all the same.

The more I read on here the more I'm beginning to feel that there may be an explanation for me being me :)

TheViking
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2005, 8:05 pm

i laugh at innaproprieate times
like when i watcth house of a thousand corpses
i laughed every time somebody got killed
:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

From a book of untruths for the weakest mind
-------
I have no faith distracting me
I know why your prayers will never be answered

Last edited by TheViking on 14 Dec 2005, 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Antigone
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

10 Dec 2005, 10:43 pm

I did an incredible number of push ups when I joined the Army because I would laugh when the Drill Instuctors would yell at me or someone else. It was just too funny then once I started it would only get worse then I would be crying.

One of my very first days a DI asked me where I was from and I said, "Hawaii no wait Idaho (now laughing histerically) no not there either." For some reason I could not get the word Iowa out of my mouth and it made me laugh so hard that they gave up and walked away.

Or my head in my hands down on my knees
Sometimes it's a b***h
Sometimes it's a Breeze---Stevie Nicks

pad
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2005, 4:48 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bland
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2006, 1:48 pm

Bland-My AS son laughs too much at times and cant seem to stop. I think hes laughing at something hes thought of but when asked, cant communicate to others. Sometimes when he does explain why hes laughing its not funny to me just stupid. But I think everything is stupid. Also, its occurred to me that what he was thinking of probably was hilarious but he cant describe it to me very well so I dont get it. At any rate, it is irritating at times and does make him appear to be stupid. I dont care if people think hes strange but I know that they get the wrong impression of him and that I hate. I have an adult friend with AS and she laughs constantly, almost as a nervous habit. This doesnt bother me except when it interferes with our conversation. Sometimes I get sick of waiting for the laughter to stop so that we can continue our talk. Her laughter is almost like a reflex, like breathing. I can relate to laughing at sad or strange things but this doesnt happen to me very often. When I was a child I simply had no sense of humor or any other emotion for that matter.

parts
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2006, 12:34 am

Once when I young I had bad in church couldn't stop had to be taken out. I still get it and smiles when I know I shouldn't just cant help it.

Lonermutant
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2006, 4:39 am

I have what I call "smiling in fear", I smile all the time when I'm around people. I've been bullied so much for this. Now I also click my tounge because of my fear of people.

QuirkyCarla
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2006, 4:47 am

I laugh all the time at the wrong time, even in the chatroom. A lot of times I'll think of something funny it's hard not to burst out laughing "out of nowhere."

Asparval
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2006, 6:11 am

Quote:
Once when I young I had bad in church couldn't stop had to be taken out. I still get it and smiles when I know I shouldn't just cant help it.

Me too. We had a new preacher visit from America and he was very serious and into fire & brimstone.

He was describing a huge cauldron of god's wrath about to spill. I think he was trying to scare us but when I thought about this cauldron of wrath all I could think of were the words "wrath broth".

The whole congregation was very quiet but I was laughing hysterically ~ I couldn't stop.

I think it looked bad because I was the son of the regular vicar at the church and we had been told we should set an example of good behaviour.

Oh well :lol: