Page 1 of 11 [ 162 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2017, 1:03 pm

We're all posting about these things here, but I'm pretty sure we aren't defining the concepts in the same way...

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2017, 1:12 pm

PC consists of privileged people using their power to influence the debate away from prejudice. Sometimes some people go overboard.

A SJW fights for social justice. Sometimes some people go overboard.

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2017, 2:36 pm

Political correctness is one of the principal ideological weapons of Marxism-Leninism. It seeks to control entire populations by using psychological manipulation and abuse, and by moving the Overton window steadily to the left until the very language of freedom and liberty is suppressed.

Social justice warriors are the cultural agents of Marxist-Leninist revolution. They come in three broad categories: (1) hardcore ideologues, mostly found in universities and in the leadership of leftist organizations; (2) violent sociopaths, as in the antifa terrorist group; and (3) the great mass of dupes, mostly college students and others, who are easily manipulated by the movement's sociopathic leaders. Their goal is to subvert the constitutional democratic republics of the West.

There Are Four Lights!

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2017, 3:27 pm

Can we start calling them type A and type B?

Damrok and I appear to have irreconcilable definitions.

ETA: unless someone wants to prove that each is a subset of the other.

adifferentname
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2017, 3:36 pm

Darmok wrote:
Political correctness is one of the principal ideological weapons of Marxism-Leninism. It seeks to control entire populations by using psychological manipulation and abuse, and by moving the Overton window steadily to the left until the very language of freedom and liberty is suppressed.

Social justice warriors are the cultural agents of Marxist-Leninist revolution. They come in three broad categories: (1) hardcore ideologues, mostly found in universities and in the leadership of leftist organizations; (2) violent sociopaths, as in the antifa terrorist group; and (3) the great mass of dupes, mostly college students and others, who are easily manipulated by the movement's sociopathic leaders. Their goal is to subvert the constitutional democratic republics of the West.

*nods approvingly*

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

25 Jun 2017, 3:45 pm

Political correctness can be defined one of two ways.

1) Historic definition: those views which fit neatly with one's ideology, or the ideology of one's political leaders. A view you hold is "not politically correct" if it doesn't fit your view, or the views of your party leaders. Originally used by (mostly Western) communists who had disagreements with the Soviet leadership.
2) Modern definition: basic politeness.

Although the historical definition is still valid, in practice the second definition is much more commonly used. If you see someone complaining about "political correctness", it's probably because they are upset that they have been told that they are rude.

SJW is an even harder term to define, although I can confidently say it has nothing to do with Marxist-Leninism despite what the far-right will have you believe!

The best simple definition I can think of is "someone who thinks that current political and social structures within the world are unfair and need changing".

StinkyDog
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Jun 2017, 6:46 pm

The_Walrus wrote:
SJW is an even harder term to define, although I can confidently say it has nothing to do with Marxist-Leninism despite what the far-right will have you believe!

The best simple definition I can think of is "someone who thinks that current political and social structures within the world are unfair and need changing".

The "best simple definition" sounds a lot like Darmok's definition of a "Marxist-Leninist."

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2017, 6:49 pm

Damrok and ADN's definition is a strict subset of many other definitions.

StinkyDog
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Jun 2017, 7:11 pm

Given that Marxism-Leninism has fallen on the ash heap of history, those who still hurl the term must be using it, in a pejorative way, to characterize people who favor liberal democracy.

K_Kelly
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2017, 7:18 pm

StinkyDog wrote:
Given that Marxism-Leninism has fallen on the ash heap of history, those who still hurl the term must be using it, in a pejorative way, to characterize people who favor liberal democracy.

That saying the people use the term in a pejorative way is a red herring.

adifferentname
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2017, 7:42 pm

jrjones9933 wrote:
Damrok and ADN's definition is a strict subset of many other definitions.

My definition?

You seem to be confused.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2017, 9:51 pm

Then Damrok's alone, idc. Way to go, getting me to engage with that line of argument.

StinkyDog
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Jun 2017, 10:42 pm

K_Kelly wrote:
That saying the people use the term in a pejorative way is a red herring.

Yummy.

StinkyDog
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Jun 2017, 10:43 pm

GoonSquad wrote:
We're all posting about these things here, but I'm pretty sure we aren't defining the concepts in the same way...

The terms mean whatever the user wants them to mean.

adifferentname
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2017, 2:14 am

jrjones9933 wrote:
Then Damrok's alone, idc. Way to go, getting me to engage with that line of argument.

You spelled "James Strachey" wrong.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2017, 2:14 am

Political correctness is the use of words or phrases deemed non offensive and the prohabition of words or phrases deemed offensive. The prohabition might be due to language policing or consensus.

Social Justice Warriors are people whom attempt to enforce "regressive left" ideology by intimidation. Intimidation techniques may include language policing, violence, shutting down speech deemed triggering or offensive to certain groups deemed oppressed, attempting to get people deemed offensive fired.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman