Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

KBABZ
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Middle Earth. Er, I mean Wellywood. Wait, Wellington.

29 May 2007, 5:01 am

This is a question for those who get negative stimulation (basically bad feelings) when they touch water. What does it feel like? What does it make you feel like doing? And what happens after?

The reason why I ask of this is because I have a character, Kipo, who is on the Spectrum, gets these negative reactions to touching water, but I haven't figured out the specifics yet, and I wanted some insight into what it's like.

This is a pretty central part to Kipo's character, so I would greatly appreciate any information given. Thanks!

In a way
And sadness turned to comfort
We all go there

girl7000
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2007, 5:23 am

Hi KBABZ,

I can only speak from my experience, but I find the feel of water against my skin can be painful. It can also make me feel anxious and even nauseus - especially large bodies of water like baths or even a sink of water. When I do washing up I usually trickle the tap - I can't bring myself to fill the sink. (even though I know that this is probably bad for the environment).

Showers feel like lots of small needles prickling me.

I also find myself fascinated yet at the same time disgusted by the way that water has that 'skin forming' effect - like if you fill a glass of water just over the brim, the water will actually 'bulge' over the top. Something to do with adhesion and cohesion or something sciency like that.

I also find it hard to connect a body of water with wetness. I know that if I put my hand in water it will get wet, but I don't 'feel' this emotionally- I only know it happens because of logic.

I also get scared of sudden pours of water and the noise it makes. So flushing toilets can be scary. I pull the handle then run out of the room! It's the only way I can do it. I have tried to desensitize myself by making myself watch a toilet as it flushes, which has helped a little, but only works with toilets that I am used to - like the one at home for example.

I also get nervous when opening taps. I hate it when I have to use water with my eyes closed - like when I am washing my face or if I accidentally get soap in my eyes. Somehow water seems even scarier when I can't see it. I also get especially scared when water is anything but completely clear.

I hope this helps. This is just my individual experience - sorry if it is not helpful or relevant.

KBABZ
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2007, 5:46 am

Thanks g7k, that was insightful for me.

I'm also assuming that this is just due to how your mind is wired up. If that's so, than to make it realistic, Kipo would have to have been afraid of water in the first place, only for it to be heightened due to an accident. Right now it's that she fell out of a small boat while on a fishing trip, and it's most likely at night when it's FREEZING cold, so that would jolt it up quite a bit, I imagine.

The nauseous thing is something I've never thought about and could add in, and could make for some interesting moments. I don't think she's as heightened as you are when it comes to water (she can look at a river with a waterfall and only feel nervous), but drop a bucket of water on her and she'll be screaming, in tears, and would want to be alone for the rest of the day.

I also thought of the problem of how she washes herself, and I settled that she uses washing gel, like you use for washing your hands without water (it's a futuristic planet, so they must have a bodily version of it).

In a way
We all go there

girl7000
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2007, 6:41 am

KBABZ wrote:

I'm also assuming that this is just due to how your mind is wired up. If that's so, than to make it realistic, Kipo would have to have been afraid of water in the first place, only for it to be heightened due to an accident. Right now it's that she fell out of a small boat while on a fishing trip, and it's most likely at night when it's FREEZING cold, so that would jolt it up quite a bit, I imagine.

The nauseous thing is something I've never thought about and could add in, and could make for some interesting moments. I don't think she's as heightened as you are when it comes to water (she can look at a river with a waterfall and only feel nervous), but drop a bucket of water on her and she'll be screaming, in tears, and would want to be alone for the rest of the day.

I also thought of the problem of how she washes herself, and I settled that she uses washing gel, like you use for washing your hands without water (it's a futuristic planet, so they must have a bodily version of it).

You are most welcome :)

I think it is how my mind is wired up because I have had sensory problems all my life. It's not like I was 'fine' then one day it suddenly became a problem, so I guess it's just how nature made me. And I could certainly see that and already existing fear would be heightened by an accident, because if you have problems with water, being unexpectedly immersed it in would be your worst nightmare - this combined with your fear for your life if you fell off a boat into freezing water would certainly make it a very traumatic experience.

The washing gel sounds like a good idea too.

I'd be really interested to hear how your characters develop :D

KBABZ
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2007, 4:07 pm

girl7000 wrote:
KBABZ wrote:

You are most welcome :)

I think it is how my mind is wired up because I have had sensory problems all my life. It's not like I was 'fine' then one day it suddenly became a problem, so I guess it's just how nature made me. And I could certainly see that and already existing fear would be heightened by an accident, because if you have problems with water, being unexpectedly immersed it in would be your worst nightmare - this combined with your fear for your life if you fell off a boat into freezing water would certainly make it a very traumatic experience.

The washing gel sounds like a good idea too.

I'd be really interested to hear how your characters develop :D

Develop, eh? Well, I have a scene where Kipo has to cross a river to get to a friend who's been lost in the forest. :twisted:

In a way
We all go there

Age1600
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2007, 10:13 pm

I have a problem with water also. I can't even take baths or showers without feeling uneasy. When I get into water, I start having a panic attack, my heart starts hurting, my head starts throbbing, then its almost like somebody put me in a bed of knives and rolled up the bed, its the worst.

KimJ
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2007, 11:40 pm

I can't say that my problems are due to sensory integration disorder, but I had a fear of swimming when young and am still quite anxious around swimming pools, mostly for other people's safety. I still stay in arm's distance of my 7 year old son.
When I was phobic of swimming, the overwhelming feeling was of being cold. No matter being in the middle of summer, the thought of going in made me shiver and freezing.

KBABZ
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2007, 11:51 pm

Age1600 wrote:
I have a problem with water also. I can't even take baths or showers without feeling uneasy. When I get into water, I start having a panic attack, my heart starts hurting, my head starts throbbing, then its almost like somebody put me in a bed of knives and rolled up the bed, its the worst.

This is insightful also, as having Kipo describe what she feels would be important in having the reader connect with her situation. "My head hurts and I hurt a lot all over myself" sounds a lot better than "I feel uneasy".

In a way
We all go there

KBABZ
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2007, 6:39 pm

girl7000 wrote:
I also get scared of sudden pours of water and the noise it makes. So flushing toilets can be scary. I pull the handle then run out of the room!

Just realised that you wouldn't want to flush an airplane toilet then. On my trip to Hollan I had to use one. I pressed the button and I got a huge, sucking *BANG!!* Gave me quite a fright.

I've also thought about how Kipo deals with drinking, what happens if she spills it, and if she's afraid of liquids in general like milk, soda and those sciency liquids like Hydrochloric acid and whatnot (I'd imagine that if it's painful just getting water on you, how the fizzyness of soda can me much worse). Also, does temperature affect your fear? Does warm water feel less painful than room temperature water? (obviously hot water sucks, and cold stings and numbs)

Finally, what about pictures of water, and videos and stuff?

EDIT: Geez, I'm full of questions. What's your veiw on the refracting thing water does to the light?

In a way
We all go there

Fraya
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2007, 9:04 pm

Water is pretty and the refractions can be fascinating to watch. Just don't get any on my skin.

Its a hard thing to describe.. theres nothing really like it.. for me its kind of suffocating and claustrophobic in a way and it just feels "icky" gross.. like the feeling you get from touching something slimy only its not. It can cause panic attacks and be painful in no specific place especially if it moves so running water is much worse than sitting and showers as another has said can cause stinging and crawling sensations like being covered in ants.

The temperature doesn't really matter though other than making things worse because on top of my problems you also get the normal discomfort of the water being too hot or cold.

Don't do anything at all
-----------
"White Rabbit" - Jefferson Airplane